British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Driving in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/driving-us-884509/)

ozzieeagle Oct 12th 2016 4:48 am

Driving in the US

I'm asking this question in here, because I'm more Aussie than anything these days. I'm curious to know how long it would take a completely inexperienced RHD driver to get used to driving say a motor home in the US.... has anyone jumped in the deep end and just done it.

I've tried this once before in Spain and my heart was in my mouth, as I didn't know where the hell I was going and lost the car, or thought I did (my cousin) I was following from Alicante to Torreivaja (SP) Took me 3 days to get back into the car once I got to my destination. However I've an idea the US could be easier, bigger roads and less roundabouts etc.

I'd say by day 3 I should be right...but whats it like getting to day 3 ?

I'd much rather do a trip up the west coast in a Motor home than amtrak it...although I will do the 2nd option if I have to. Anyone know of a simulator ?

evets Oct 12th 2016 6:13 am

Re: Driving in the US

My first trip to the states. Hired a car in San Fran. Drove it out and onto the road. Waited at the traffic lights. Lights changed, proceeded to drive onto the left hand lane.

Lots of odd voices, then noticed the cars coming towards me. Had to reverse back to switch lanes.

It did not help it was first thing in the morning. Certainly woke me up.

Once I got over the shock, not long before I settled in. Once you are driving, give it a few hours and just be aware of what is going on.

Maybe look to pick up your motor home outside of peak hours, so you can get settled. Once you get outside of the major cities in the US, roads are easy to drive on.

jad n rich Oct 12th 2016 6:39 am

Have driven across, up, down, zig zag, back forth, you name it in the States.

Firstly, if you are getting a RV please avoid july and august, it will be painful. With every road worth seeing clogged with RV bigger many bigger than houses,

Avoid winter, ice and unpredictable weather can cause the most horrendous road conditions. Plus many roads will be closed, snow chains etc...

Partners Aussie oh it will be fine moment :eek: when we mentioned slick black ice for 40 mile was well rather aussie :lol: Needless to say we ended up staying put for 2 days. Even when we left, saw the remnants of 3 fatalities including rolled giant fedex trucks.

Have you though of hiring a large luxury UV instead, they are an amazing size and features you would only dream of here, so much easier to navigate first time over there. Did a whole trip in one, sleeping bags and pillows from walmart on first day. LA to Chicago. Dont ever try to drive anything in Chigago BTW, that was insane of us.

Beware one way fees!! can be very steep. Buy gas in Pilot, Loves flying J, they are truck stops, can grab a shower for small fee too. Gas is cheap as.

Beware dust storms, tumbleweed storms and dust storms in some parts are amazing but dangerous..

Large RV really limits you once you get places, how you gonna drive that thing through town when you want a meal etc?

Beware tolls, the letter you get 6 months later with a fine thats multiplied many times and now reached OZ is not good, but funny to sort out, with some guy in Texas drawling at you.

Most amazing country to drive, roads are such good quality, 100 times your wildest imagination what you can see, do, how often the scenery changes...

RV insurance a bit tricky too, really make sure you have all angles covered.

For cars we use driveaway, have been good with inclusions so far. If your sat nav is not built in, just pick up a 99buck one in walmart first day, well as long as you are confident how to get to a walmart.

BTW partner also went wrong way into traffic once, like previous poster, it was terrifying, and whatever you do, DO NOT hire the day you arrive, they probably wont let you, but you do need to have your wits about you.

Pick an easy drive first, LA to LV is an easy one, or LA to Palm springs.

Going to be there in December, and yep driving again :thumbup:

GarryP Oct 12th 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12074313)
I'm asking this question in here, because I'm more Aussie than anything these days. I'm curious to know how long it would take a completely inexperienced RHD driver to get used to driving say a motor home in the US.... has anyone jumped in the deep end and just done it.

I've tried this once before in Spain and my heart was in my mouth, as I didn't know where the hell I was going and lost the car, or thought I did (my cousin) I was following from Alicante to Torreivaja (SP) Took me 3 days to get back into the car once I got to my destination. However I've an idea the US could be easier, bigger roads and less roundabouts etc.

I'd much rather do a trip up the west coast in a Motor home than amtrak it...although I will do the 2nd option if I have to. Anyone know of a simulator ?

Have driven a fair amount in the US, but never an RV.

I'd suggest, if you can, not picking whatever you get up from the Airport. The roads around them are usually horrible, complex, and you are jetlagged - not a good combo. Pick it up later. Saying that, I've picked up hire cars fairly often by necessity and survived.

What you do see, by the side of long, straight, multilane highways, is cars that have run off the road and down a bank. The driver fell asleep. There are a lot of very long, very boring roads. Lots of cruise control. Think Nullabor, but more boring.

As for the roads being big, yes, but I do remember being at a cross roads and not being able to see the exit since it was so far away (across the top of a hill).

Oh, and US maps stink.

Not sure it's any cheaper to get an RV to drive up the west coast than it is to get something more conventional and stay in hotels.

ozzieeagle Oct 12th 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12074396)
Not sure it's any cheaper to get an RV to drive up the west coast than it is to get something more conventional and stay in hotels.

Yes that's what I'm thinking now, and doing a short trip first after a couple of days. It will be very liberating if I can get used to and some confidence with RH driving and open up many more options for us.

Many thanks for your responses.

Big big holiday planned for retirement (as long as it happens) and the Wifes 60th next year.

I think we're coming home via ship from Seattle :) Which gives us plenty of shopping/luggage options as well.

Beaverstate Oct 12th 2016 7:44 am

Got me curious enough to look up road lane widths.
US Interstate highway uses a 12 ft (3.7M) While in Europe they vary between 2.5 to 3.25 M.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...of%20us%20road

Beoz Oct 12th 2016 7:47 am

Have done a fair bit. Last time was around New York and Philly. There's a freeway from New York to Philly that is wide, long a straight. 16 lanes all up. As Garry says, the straight long roads can be weirdly upsetting. They play with your mind. There's a good one too from Las Vegas to LA. Had to make the wife drive that.

Cities are no issue. LA is a piece of pie - just lots of traffic. Its a slow grind. Just don't end up in the wrong areas like I did pulling off the freeway to get some fuel just before LAX.

GarryP Oct 12th 2016 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12074406)
Big big holiday planned for retirement (as long as it happens) and the Wifes 60th next year.

I think we're coming home via ship from Seattle :) Which gives us plenty of shopping/luggage options as well.

One of the most interesting journeys I did was through Arizona in an open top car - really did give you the feel of countless films. So don't necessarily decide to keep to the ocean road, there's plenty of options inland.

Also consider stopping off at Hawaii on the way, easy enough to do from here, and breaks that flight.

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12074414)
As Garry says, the straight long roads can be weirdly upsetting. They play with your mind.

I kind of understand why Tesla owners just let the car do it's thing - it gets soooooo boring.

astera Oct 12th 2016 8:12 pm

I've tried this once before in Spain and my heart was in my mouth

Are you comfortable driving on the right or did the Spain trip not provide enough experience to feel right at home towards the end of your trip?

I was more used to driving on the right, and in the UK I drove a left-hand-drive car so it wasn't a real conversion in my case. It was only when I started driving in Australia that I truly had to "convert" but it did take a few weeks to ultimately feel comfortable. Nowadays it makes no difference to me, I'm completely "fluent" in both traffic systems. :)

Are you sure you want a motor home in the US as opposed to getting a regular car and using motels/hotels?

As for driving itself it's very easy over there, but it's worth flipping through the highway code just to familiarise yourself with things like turning lanes (like a general turning lane in the middle as opposed to carefully marked turns that cross traffic) and other rules (in some states you have to pull over if there are X cars trailing behing you due to you slowing them down, etc.).

GarryP Oct 12th 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by astera (Post 12075063)
As for driving itself it's very easy over there, but it's worth flipping through the highway code just to familiarise yourself with things like turning lanes (like a general turning lane in the middle as opposed to carefully marked turns that cross traffic) and other rules (in some states you have to pull over if there are X cars trailing behing you due to you slowing them down, etc.).

And things like right turn on red, which is state dependent.

Swerv-o Oct 13th 2016 12:39 am

I've driven many thousands of miles in the US, and can't say I've ever had a problem, apart from one lapse in concentration in Jacksonville, Wisconsin, where I did discover myself on the wrong side of the road. It's much easier when you are in amongst other traffic.

One of my biggest gripes is the stupid rules on pre-paying for petrol - the attendant will ask you how much you want - and of course you don't know, because you just want to fill it up. But you can't just leave your card with them while you fill up - they have to pre-auth an amount, and they will refund you if you go over it - but this of course costs you twice in bank currency conversion fees, so watch for that. Either pay in cash, or use the self service PIN entry. Some PIN systems need a ZIP code and won't recognise an AU CC 4 digit post code - but I discovered that many would accept 90210 :)

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you get pulled by the cops, under no circumstances should you get out of the vehicle and greet the officer. I did this in Mississippi and nearly got shot as a result. Ended up with a pistol covering me, cuffed, face down in the dirt trying desperately to explain that it was just a cultural difference...

S

ozzieeagle Oct 13th 2016 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12075222)
I've driven many thousands of miles in the US, and can't say I've ever had a problem, apart from one lapse in concentration in Jacksonville, Wisconsin, where I did discover myself on the wrong side of the road. It's much easier when you are in amongst other traffic.

One of my biggest gripes is the stupid rules on pre-paying for petrol - the attendant will ask you how much you want - and of course you don't know, because you just want to fill it up. But you can't just leave your card with them while you fill up - they have to pre-auth an amount, and they will refund you if you go over it - but this of course costs you twice in bank currency conversion fees, so watch for that. Either pay in cash, or use the self service PIN entry. Some PIN systems need a ZIP code and won't recognise an AU CC 4 digit post code - but I discovered that many would accept 90210 :)

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you get pulled by the cops, under no circumstances should you get out of the vehicle and greet the officer. I did this in Mississippi and nearly got shot as a result. Ended up with a pistol covering me, cuffed, face down in the dirt trying desperately to explain that it was just a cultural difference...

S

Interesting posts above, It's all about not feeling comfortable on the right Astera. As for getting out of the car if pulled up, I would have definitely done that, so thanks for the pre warning on that one.... Stuff that.

I will take the tip and read their highway code, because I cant get my head around this right hand turn cross over yet.

Amazulu Oct 13th 2016 1:57 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12074396)
Have driven a fair amount in the US, but never an RV.

I'd suggest, if you can, not picking whatever you get up from the Airport. The roads around them are usually horrible, complex, and you are jetlagged - not a good combo. Pick it up later. Saying that, I've picked up hire cars fairly often by necessity and survived.

What you do see, by the side of long, straight, multilane highways, is cars that have run off the road and down a bank. The driver fell asleep. There are a lot of very long, very boring roads. Lots of cruise control. Think Nullabor, but more boring.

As for the roads being big, yes, but I do remember being at a cross roads and not being able to see the exit since it was so far away (across the top of a hill).

Oh, and US maps stink.

Many providers will not let you pick up an RV straight off an international flight due to jetlag/tiredness issues

Amazulu Oct 13th 2016 2:02 am

Driving in America is incredibly easy - and driving on the other side of the road comes logically. It's hard to get it wrong IMO

I wouldn't bother with an RV - stay in motels instead

Sign up for the loyalty programs of all the major hotel chains and I'm sure you'll find some good discounts

Sign up for Groupon emails for all the areas that you are visiting - you will probably get great accommodation/food/activity bargains

astera Oct 13th 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12075243)
Interesting posts above, It's all about not feeling comfortable on the right Astera. As for getting out of the car if pulled up, I would have definitely done that, so thanks for the pre warning on that one.... Stuff that.

I will take the tip and read their highway code, because I cant get my head around this right hand turn cross over yet.

I'd take a short holiday somewhere and just drive the living daylights out of a rental vehicle until it feels completely natural. After I moved (or rather returned!) to Australia it took me almost a month to feel comfortable driving on the left with a right-hand drive car. Until then I would be super-concentrated on the road and not enjoying it at all - just trying to get from point A to point B at minimal risk.

Cops in the US can be a bunch of clowns so best not to do anything jumpy. Just pop the window down asap and keep both hands on the steering wheel and relax until they walk over and engage in conversation. Be pleasant, respective, accentuate your foreign accent, and maybe just maybe they'll relish this chance encounter and let you off with a warning and some warm words. :)