Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dream come true or nightmare?

Dream come true or nightmare?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dream come true or nightmare?

Moved into new rental property today, partly furnished.

On moving in open a set of drawers and find a load of curtains with a biscuit tin underneath.

Open biscuit tin......................bundles of 100's and 50's.

$30k+ in the tin

Immediate thought, phone letting agent hand it over

but.....

the owner had painter and electricians in over the weekend, can't prove it was us - keep it and see?

but.....

what if the owner is into drugs, handing over the cash to letting agent could mean trouble - keep it and see, waiting for trouble to arrive at us?

but.....

what if it was previously rented and they were drug barons, handing over the cash to owner or letting aget could mean trouble for us

so

what to do?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream come true or nightmare?

Hand it to the police, and if it isn't claimed after a while it should be yours.

I wish I had found it in one of my drawers before I left Oz . . .
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777

On moving in open a set of drawers and find a load of curtains with a biscuit tin underneath.

$30k+ in the tin

but.....

the owner had painter and electricians in over the weekend, can't prove it was us - keep it and see?

but.....

what if the owner is into drugs, handing over the cash to letting agent could mean trouble - keep it and see, waiting for trouble to arrive at us?

but.....

what if it was previously rented and they were drug barons, handing over the cash to owner or letting aget could mean trouble for us

so

what to do?
I hate to be a party pooper but hand it in to the police, for no other reason than it's not yours. Make sure you get a receipt though, because it's not theirs either. I hope your honesty is rewarded by getting the lot back! I think it's 3 months and if no one has claimed it, it's yours.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would hand it straight in to police, getting a receipt for it. Definitely wouldn't hand it in to the agent.

Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777

$30k+ in the tin

but.....

but.....

but.....

so

what to do?
Police
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago, back in Blighty, we were having a loft conversion constructed. The builders started just before xmas. During the xmas break I found a paper bag of cash stuffed in one of my kitchen cupboards. I figured it was the builder's so didn't touch it but always thought it was a strange thing to hide.

When they finished the job, i found another brown paper bag of cash..... Waited a few weeks and then the builder came round and admitted he had left it behind. All very strange behaviour but at least the loft conversion was good.

Not sure this info is of any use to you but it did remind me of the paper bag cash stash in my own house!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:05 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably keep it. Stash it away for a few months and see what happens.

If it did belong to criminals and they found you'd given it to the cops they'd still want the cash off you.

Cops would probably steal it as would the rental agent.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:49 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hope your honesty is rewarded by getting the lot back! I think it's 3 months and if no one has claimed it, it's yours.
How good would that be?!!!!! $30k richer out of the blue !

I'll be checking back here in 3 months... hoping to see a thread called "bingobob777's bar tab for British Expats"
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
How good would that be?!!!!! $30k richer out of the blue !

I'll be checking back here in 3 months... hoping to see a thread called "bingobob777's bar tab for British Expats"
... or a thread entitled " anyone heard from bingobob777 lately, he's gone missing"
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:06 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'd probably keep it. Stash it away for a few months and see what happens.

If it did belong to criminals and they found you'd given it to the cops they'd still want the cash off you.

Cops would probably steal it as would the rental agent.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
... or a thread entitled " anyone heard from bingobob777 lately, he's gone missing"
Yep, I'd be leaving that house and going elsewhere - the last tenants may be wearing cement boots.

Bingobob777 it's a hard one, but I say hand into the police and do some homework about who used to live there, you don't want the last tenants left over mess blowing up in your face.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd almost certainly keep it, but wouldnt spend it for a few months...
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best if I look after it for you.................
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:09 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Police Officer, you can give it to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.