Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Wikiposts

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Down Under by Bill Bryson

Originally Posted by snow-white
heh someone at work recently recommended a book for me to read never read a book since been to oz in a year. anyway your thread reminded me its by bill bryson a short hisotry of nearly everything ive just bought it any of you guys read this ??????
lesley
Found that hard work...just read it cos I felt I had to....if you know what I mean.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:59 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
* sigh* My OH is reading this book at the mo!! We read it before arriving and hes now reading it from 'the other side' so to speak!! I am next in the queue to read it second time around... Very, very funny IMHO
so did you both enjoy it then?
any other books you can recommend on here used to love to read.
as for not getting everyone elses sense of humour on herre been reading a few posts lately and couldnt of said it better myself just been reading your post sarah on a meet up and think you should go ahead and arrange it i was looking forward to it lol.x why dont we do a bookclub????lol
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Found that hard work...just read it cos I felt I had to....if you know what I mean.
this will be my first bill bryson book so guess just have to see what i make of it hmmm
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snow-white
this will be my first bill bryson book so guess just have to see what i make of it hmmm
I thought the cricket was hilarious and would have been funny written by anyone. The whole point he was describing it to someone who had never heard of it. I love the way he describes his initial thoughts about Australia - like men of a "certain age have a propensity to wear knee height socks".

He does seem to bumble around on his trips and never actually does anything which is part of his charm. His UK one was a classic with this.

He's the perfect expat having done both US and UK and ping-ponged.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I thought the cricket was hilarious and would have been funny written by anyone. The whole point he was describing it to someone who had never heard of it. I love the way he describes his initial thoughts about Australia - like men of a "certain age have a propensity to wear knee height socks".

He does seem to bumble around on his trips and never actually does anything which is part of his charm. His UK one was a classic with this.

He's the perfect expat having done both US and UK and ping-ponged.
i guess that says enough to me i will enjoy reading this one i think lol xxx nothing better than a good point of view
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:19 am
G'day!

FlyingAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have read the book, and now that you mentioned I think I have mislead it, can't find it anywhere in the house...

... Anyway, going back to the book, I have read it and found it very funny and entertaining! I love Bill Bryson's writting.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

moonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the rough

I loved Bill's book, read it several times so funny, especially the bit about the Australian men congratulating each other on being Australian. Only thing I disagreed with was the fun and good night to be had at the Daly Waters pub. The most miserable and totally tourist type hyped pub in the world. So many more superior outback pubs to be had found with no hype. His book became my bible (along with Lonely Planet guide) when I was travelling around in wicked campervan for 6 weeks on my own.

Ok maybe not quite, but it did become my companion 'cos quite a similar route to Bill.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FlyingAussie
Hello,

I have read the book, and now that you mentioned I think I have mislead it, can't find it anywhere in the house...

... Anyway, going back to the book, I have read it and found it very funny and entertaining! I love Bill Bryson's writting.
I was doing an English GCSE a few years back and we did a mock test and we had to analyse a block of text which happened to be Bill Bryson. In just 4 or 5 paragraphs I knew I liked his style...looked to see what books he had and just had to get on called Down Under

Have read all of his books now. Favorites are Down Under and Thunderbolt Kid...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Have been bought it twice, just cant get into it.

should really try again.

nickie