Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Down Under by Bill Bryson

Anyone read it? Just started and am laughing my head off at the Manly Beach escapade where he didn't know what one of those stingy jellyfish were...

Does it stay as funny? I am not yet in Oz so it's interesting to read so far, better than the Residents guide anyhow....:thumbsu p:
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:09 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down Under by Bill Bryson

Love that book, must have read it 10 times

Lots of laughs all the way through

Even my Dad has read it and I don't think he's ever finished a book before
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Read it years ago - maybe I should read it again now I live here.

I love his writing and his sense of humour. Hard to believe he's American; must be all those years he's been in Yorkshire.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
Read it years ago - maybe I should read it again now I live here.

I love his writing and his sense of humour. Hard to believe he's American; must be all those years he's been in Yorkshire.
Yes def, must have been oooop North that did it....I am sure it made me sarcastic too!!!!! Or is it called caustic wit now?

PP
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Great book.... I like the bit where he falls asleep in the car and ends up drooling. His best book I think.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

'tis a most excellent book. My favourite bit is when he goes in search of those stromatalites and encounters some yank tourists.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:32 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Left mine on the train from Brisbane to the Gold Coast which was annoying as it's an extremely boring journey and my daughter wanted to read it.

It's good except for the way he takes the piss out of cricket - typical Yank.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
Left mine on the train from Brisbane to the Gold Coast which was annoying as it's an extremely boring journey and my daughter wanted to read it.

It's good except for the way he takes the piss out of cricket - typical Yank.
That's one of the good funny bits for me Cracking book. I loved the deciding to walk around the edge of Sydney harbour and being chased by unseen dogs and ending up in some random woman's garden Great writer.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:06 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Great book.... I like the bit where he falls asleep in the car and ends up drooling. His best book I think.
That's my favourite bit too. I wept as i was reading it and i laughed so much it made my jaw ache.

And the bit where he's running from dogs, holding rocks and then runs into the cobweb!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:25 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I don't like any of his books.

He wafts around the world with a smug sense of superiority which makes his 'humour' arrogant rather than amusing.

And more often than not he has his facts wrong.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNH
I don't like any of his books.

He wafts around the world with a smug sense of superiority which makes his 'humour' arrogant rather than amusing.

And more often than not he has his facts wrong.
What facts are wrong in this book? I would hate to be reading it thinking it was gospel...

Or could you rec any other books by someone else that cover similar short histories on Oz?

PP
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
What facts are wrong in this book? I would hate to be reading it thinking it was gospel...

Or could you rec any other books by someone else that cover similar short histories on Oz?

PP
Shouldn't worry about it. It's not supposed to be an encyclopaedia. It's a journalist humourous account of his travels so it's correct from his point of view with a bit of 'flair' thrown in. Not everyone gets other people's humour - as seen on here on a regular basis
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not everyone gets other people's humour - as seen on here on a regular basis
Regular? Total ****ing sense of humour bypass on this forum lately. Bunch of morose shoe-gazing whinging manic-depressives. Colour the site black and be done with it ...

Oh sorry - should add - in my humble opinion... of course.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:24 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Regular? Total ****ing sense of humour bypass on this forum lately. Bunch of morose shoe-gazing whinging manic-depressives. Colour the site black and be done with it ...

Oh sorry - should add - in my humble opinion... of course.
that last bit always make me think of Uriah Heep in great expectations
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
Regular? Bunch of morose shoe-gazing whinging manic-depressives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.