Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does it bother you?

Originally Posted by Wol
Notts has been taken over by Sting, de da da da
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:40 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Notts has been taken over by Sting, de da da da
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
I don't know what he's prattling about either but that was my best guess
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:46 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing it's something to do with The Muppets.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
I'm guessing it's something to do with The Muppets.
what has mbttuk got to do with it?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:51 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Kermit's had problems getting a green card.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Is there really any need for comments like this?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is there really any need for comments like this?
No
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:10 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

An example of this

Mitchell Johnson being interviewed today

"I felt really good at training today. I feel quite fresh and I've pulled up really good."

Now this is all very well and good, as we often expect sports people not to be as well educated as most other people (unless they are Union players or Rowers) but the problem is that Channel9 will more than likely employ him as their chief commentating expert in about 10 years time and will in the process influence millions of people on how to speak English.

That's all I have to say to you
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

On another forum I complained about the use of 'between you and I'. One woman said she'd been taught it that way at school. She did not believe me when I said 'I' should be replaced by 'me'. I went on to ask her if she would say 'between I and you' and I think that eventually convinced her she had been wrong.

As for the apostrophe taking over where it doesn't belong - it seems to be used in plurals mainly where the noun ends in a vowel. How hard is it to learn that we form plurals by adding s, not 's? I mean, our plurals are so easy compared with other languages, as anyone who knows German, Latin, and other inflected languages would know.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
An example of this

Mitchell Johnson being interviewed today

"I felt really good at training today. I feel quite fresh and I've pulled up really good."

Now this is all very well and good, as we often expect sports people not to be as well educated as most other people (unless they are Union players or Rowers) but the problem is that Channel9 will more than likely employ him as their chief commentating expert in about 10 years time and will in the process influence millions of people on how to speak English.

That's all I have to say to you
It's right to distinguish between the written and spoken word: none of us speaks grammatically correct English in everyday conversation. However (I almost said "but" <g>) the way that our writing has gone downhill is sad. English is an unbelievably rich and expressive language and is spoken as an equivalent-first language all over the globe. It is embarrassing to compare the mistakes of grammar and context in the BBC and newspapers with the often more literate foreigners' efforts.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

British City Gets Rid of Apostrophes

http://news.aol.com/article/city-sto...trophes/323881
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what he's prattling about either but that was my best guess
It's because you are all way too old.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:59 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
for what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.