Wikiposts

Does it bother you?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:38 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it bother you?

Oh no- lets not start on typos; typos will muddy the water and we need to stay focussed on the cause
Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
That will be WORD not WORK i suppose
Correct, sorry typo.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I'm confused. Open p and b?
They teach them to write p and b so that the curved bit doesn't return to the vertical bit. So a b looks like an L with a curved horizontal bit, same with the p, they don't close the loop.

Hence Bobby looking like Bolly.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
They teach them to write p and b so that the curved bit doesn't return to the vertical bit. So a b looks like an L with a curved horizontal bit, same with the p, they don't close the loop.

Hence Bobby looking like Bolly.
I see, why in God's name would you want to do that?

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Mar 31st 2009 at 3:41 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:41 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
The standard of grammer here in Oz- not talking about forum posts or email or anything like that where a more relaxed approach is fine, but the number of signs and notices I've seen in shops etc with blatant errors bothers me. It was pretty poor in NZ, but this takes the biscuit. Worthy of note is the one on headed government paper in my local medicare/family assistance office saying:

"Your all Stars"

and commending the staff on their excellent standard of customer service. If I awas the branch manager I'd be sending that straight back and certainly wouldn't put it up on the wall!

And then the one on the local sport recruitment signs telling children:

"It's not to late to sign up"

Do you think it matters? Have you noticed a decline when compared to the UK?

It matters very much.

In the last decade or so it has become so much worse.

If it's not poor grammar it's incorrect (often American) spelling everywhere.

Nobody uses THERE’RE anymore. Not only do they say THERE’S for plurals, but they now also say THERE IS and THERE WAS (there is eight – there was ten).

It will only get worse.

Having done some university units in recent years, I came across a number of young people studying to become teachers. They didn't even know the basics of the English language.

I have a relative who has been a teacher in Australia for something like forty years. She said that she constantly gets 'politely reminded' to use new teaching methods in her classes. These methods include allowing the students to create their own lesson plans, and replacing traditional English lessons with lessons in 'texting' and 'net speak'. She is currently teaching a big, fancy, exclusive school in Sydney – where they have decided to stop teaching literature.

I do not believe newer arrivals in Australia have had time to notice just how great a problem this is becoming.

(And for the love of God, somebody tell Australians A LOT is not one word!!)

Last edited by SNH; Mar 31st 2009 at 4:13 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tieve
... all I know is that his apostrophe was in the wrong place, or he had one where it wasn't needed, or something! . . . I very nearly rear ended him! :curse:
<<WINCE>>
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:51 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I see, why in God's name would you want to do that?
No idea but it's the way they teach them in Victoria, capitals are the same just the small letters.

A closed b or p will get there work marked down
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
My yoga teacher keeps telling us to "lay down" and "now we are laying down". I nearly shout out every time she says it!!
If you're suffering from anger management issues, I recommend that you take up a relaxing past-time . . . something like yoga should do the trick.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Look, I don't think using the word "look" is that annoying.
In spoken English, I find "you know" to be quite annoying.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
In spoken English, I find "you know" to be quite annoying.
Like, oh my god, you know, are you serious?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
No idea but it's the way they teach them in Victoria, capitals are the same just the small letters.

A closed b or p will get there work marked down
How strange.

Also, it should be "their"
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How strange.

You've missed the full stop.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Like, oh my god, you know, are you serious?
Yup (dunno whether to smile or frown so here's both ).
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:14 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
You've missed the full stop.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:25 pm

How strange.

So it should, I often do that when typing.

I normally check back, bad timing that I chose a grammar thread to forget

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.