Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do your kids get pocket money

Do your kids get pocket money

Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do your kids get pocket money

It's Ok, except I think he should have to keep his bedroom tidy without pay. I'm at the stage with my older ones that I deliver their fresh sheets and leave them to make the bed. They have to put dirty washing in the basket and make their beds. My older teen has to vacuum his floor too.

I think you're on the right track, but do you only have one child? I only ask, because I know that with 4 kids I'd find that kind of money difficult to find each week for all of them, so if you're planning on having more I'd think carefully about the amount you start with. If your child is still young start with $5 or less for each task.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback, great idea about him paying me Emelems.

Yeah, just one child and to be honest he's a great kid and would do it for nowt if i asked him to.

Its not that i really need the help but its more an exercise in teaching him about money.

Cheers
Jazzys
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
OK expats, pick the holes in this for me will ya.

Pocket Money Agreement

Some jobs around the house are expected to be done without payment,
So don’t bother asking for money for every job I ask you to do.
I’ll ask you to do them because you are part of the team and I need your help.
__________________________________________________ ______

Cut grass front and back $10 per week

Do dishwasher and keep bedroom and bathroom tidy $11 a week

If you don’t keep your room tidy, hang towels etc, you will have money deducted at the rate of $2 per day, for every day you don’t do it.

I don’t expect to have to tell you to do your jobs. The jobs are there and you can earn money for doing them. If you want money you have an opportunity to earn it.
__________________________________________________ __________

You MUST save one third of whatever you earn.
__________________________________________________ __________

You must also keep a record of what you earn and what you spend
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Failure to do the jobs I ask you to do without payment, will mean you get sacked and you will no longer have the opportunity to earn money.

Bad behaviour or failure to do homework on time will also result in loss of earnings.

I feel like a boot camp sergeant major but its all in the name of educating the lad to take care of money. let me know your thoughts.

Jazzys
I like all of it except the "you must save 1/3 of it" hmmm...1/3 of $11 is A LOT when you are a kid..
Also the record bit?!?! Are you an accountant?
We have the same theory, there are jobs they are expected to do like feeding and walking the dogs, keeping their rooms tidy, hanging up towels, clearing theri things off the table into the dishwasher. THEN there are their weekend jobs (rubbish bins for son, Bathroom for daughter) and they have week jobs too. Dishwasher unloading and recycling.

They can earn extra for doing other jobs, but if they ask for money they don't get it! and they know it.

I feel that to give them money without jobs is a no no, but this needs to be backed up by saying they mustn't "expect" money for other jobs..
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

He has the opportunity to save $7 a week if he earns his full amount.
And it can only be a good habit to get into surely.
He still has plenty to spend on whatever he wants but will think twice about spending what he earns on ice creams and rubbish.

No, i'm not an accountant but as a single parent i need to know how much is coming into the house and how much is going out.

Once again, i think its a good habit to get him into. And ya never know, it might even help him with his maths studies.

Hell, it might not even work but we're gunna give it a go.

Jazzys
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:39 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Its a good plan
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Hevs, is it luck i need or a big stick?

Jazzys
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Thanks Hevs, is it luck i need or a big stick?

Jazzys
That too
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

He has the opportunity to save $7 a week if he earns his full amount.
And it can only be a good habit to get into surely.
He still has plenty to spend on whatever he wants but will think twice about spending what he earns on ice creams and rubbish.

No, i'm not an accountant but as a single parent i need to know how much is coming into the house and how much is going out.

Once again, i think its a good habit to get him into. And ya never know, it might even help him with his maths studies.

Hell, it might not even work but we're gunna give it a go.

Jazzys
We are neither of us accountants and we have a similiar scheme with our kids... works perfectly.. they went to the fairground yesterday... paid for all their own rides (we treated them too on some) but they love the independence and they love being responsible for their own lives..

Em x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

I was light heartedly teasing about the "keeping records" thing is all.
My kids manage their own money too...I just don't ask for written records is all
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
I was light heartedly teasing about the "keeping records" thing is all.
My kids manage their own money too...I just don't ask for written records is all
Crikey, sorry, it did read a bit snotty! Wasnt meant like that ! xx
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:08 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Dunno about pocket money - but looking at wages there is a clear pattern set out in Australian Federal Awards, take a look at this (Fast Food Industry Award for 2010)

21yrs & over: $15.80 per hour
20-21: 90%
19-20: 80%
18-19: 70%
17-18: 60%
16-17: 50%
under 16: 40% ($6.30 per hour)

We at KFC employ a few young'uns who've JUST turned 14!

So before you go paying out big bucks for your 13 year old to go mowing the lawn you might want to consider that they wont want to take a pay CUT to get a real job next year! (assuming of course that you subscribe to the almost Dickensian idea that kids should be working and contributing to the economy)

Last edited by DadAgain; Jan 27th 2009 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:11 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by emelems
Crikey, sorry, it did read a bit snotty! Wasnt meant like that ! xx
Snotty cow!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:31 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What about for the wives

No extra penal rates - its all included in your job description
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
Snotty cow!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What about for the wives

No extra penal rates - its all included in your job description
Wheres the vomit smiley?