Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do your kids get pocket money

Do your kids get pocket money

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do your kids get pocket money

Just thinking about starting to give my son pocket money for jobs around the house. Dishwasher, cutting grass etc

Wahts everyone else paying, wouldn't wanna over pay the lad would i.

Ha ha

Jazzys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:19 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do your kids get pocket money

Originally Posted by jazzys
Just thinking about starting to give my son pocket money for jobs around the house. Dishwasher, cutting grass etc

Ha ha

Jazzys
We have started to give our it since being here, how old is your son Jazzy?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

He's just turned 13.

He has started seeing stuff he'd like but i've told him he can earn it and he's fine with that but just didn't know what the going rate is

Jazzys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:26 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Ha ha

Jazzys
When I was little, we had a list of little jobs that we would have to do and that's what our weekly pocket money would be for (prob about £2.50 a wk when we were little, then up to £5, etc) and then optional extras that we could be paid for - washing the car was always a good one, a fiver for that!

I think it's a really good way to teach kids the value of money. We had to put half of it in the piggy bank and the other half we could spend if we wanted. I had loads of tins all labelled with what I was saving up for! (the big one being a gameboy colour at the time...)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:29 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

He's just turned 13.

He has started seeing stuff he'd like but i've told him he can earn it and he's fine with that but just didn't know what the going rate is

Jazzys
We asked friends what they gave their kids and followed suit, have PM'd you with the amounts
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats what i was gunna do, put a price on jobs. No job, no money.
Might as well get used to it eh

Jazzys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:43 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We do this.. plus we also get them to write on a peice of paper what they earn and what they spend... get them used to debits and credits.. debit when you earn money and add it to the sheet and credit when you spend money or take it off the sheet..

We also implemented a save 10% of what you have... and opened another accounting sheet for them

They write it on there and are responsible for keeping their accounts balanced ! haha! we sign off all transactions (only because we want to makesure that the kids are doing it all OK).. if they muck up and overspend they get a $1 penality and if they save then they get some dollars interest

Sounds a bit horrendous, but its not really.. takes a few moments and hopefully they will learn some skills at keeping track of their money... they have a few bob (not huge amounts, but quite a bit) in their savings now, and we are now encouraging them to turn these savings into something that might earn a few quid... ie, like buy a silver coin from the Perth Mint and then see what it is worth in a few months... have warned them that investments can devalue also..

eeek! have gone off on a tangent now! sorry!

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emelems
We do this.. plus we also get them to write on a peice of paper what they earn and what they spend... get them used to debits and credits.. debit when you earn money and add it to the sheet and credit when you spend money or take it off the sheet..

We also implemented a save 10% of what you have... and opened another accounting sheet for them

They write it on there and are responsible for keeping their accounts balanced ! haha! we sign off all transactions (only because we want to makesure that the kids are doing it all OK).. if they muck up and overspend they get a $1 penality and if they save then they get some dollars interest

Sounds a bit horrendous, but its not really.. takes a few moments and hopefully they will learn some skills at keeping track of their money... they have a few bob (not huge amounts, but quite a bit) in their savings now, and we are now encouraging them to turn these savings into something that might earn a few quid... ie, like buy a silver coin from the Perth Mint and then see what it is worth in a few months... have warned them that investments can devalue also..

eeek! have gone off on a tangent now! sorry!

Em x
Bloody hell, you have thought about it haven't you. but i applaude you, i'm sure your kids will thank you for it in the long run.

well done and thanks

Jazzys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shiels
We asked friends what they gave their kids and followed suit, have PM'd you with the amounts
I'd love to see your figures too...

Mine is 12, but she has a range of friends, and they seem to differ widely on what they get, and whether they do things for it.

Soem websites I have been looking at:

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/fa...en/pocket.html
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=282&id=2235
http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ket_money.html
http://www.careerone.com.au/news-adv...girls-20081027

and a Newspaper report:
A survey by pay-TV channel Cartoon Network found parents who admitted to giving their child $500 a week to spend.

But not all kids were so lucky. At the other end of the scale, almost a third of kids get nothing, while some get as little as $1 a week.

According to The New Generations 2008 survey, 68 per cent of children aged seven to 14 years receive pocket money, with boys getting more than girls.

They pocket an average $7.60 a week, compared to $6.80 for girls.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:54 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hell, you have thought about it haven't you. but i applaude you, i'm sure your kids will thank you for it in the long run.

well done and thanks

Jazzys
We were travelling/backpacking for nearly a year! lol! The kids would sit back, watch us do all the packing and work and then ask for ice-creams when we were out next.. suddenly we realised that something serious was amiss and as parents we were giving out a terrible example.. so OH decided, in for a penny, in for a pound and implemented this whole new system...

Em x

PS The kids rebel against it still... get all mardy when we say "add it on to the sheet" but if it rubs off just a little then we have done our job! xxx
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emelems
We were travelling/backpacking for nearly a year! lol! The kids would sit back, watch us do all the packing and work and then ask for ice-creams when we were out next.. suddenly we realised that something serious was amiss and as parents we were giving out a terrible example.. so OH decided, in for a penny, in for a pound and implemented this whole new system...

Em x

PS The kids rebel against it still... get all mardy when we say "add it on to the sheet" but if it rubs off just a little then we have done our job! xxx
Just as well my boss is from down south and taught me what mardy means. haha.

keep it up, if they weren't whingeing about the sheet they'd be whingeing about summat else.

Jazzys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:01 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'd love to see your figures too...

Mine is 12, but she has a range of friends, and they seem to differ widely on what they get, and whether they do things for it.
Your wish is my command, sent you the PM
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Our teen gets a dollar for each year of her age on the proviso she unloads the dishwasher as and when and cleans the bathroom at the weekend. If she does lots of other things we give her extra for "big" weekends etc.

The 11 year old gets $5 for emptying the recycling and bins, but he gets money for the cinema etc., He always has more money than the 14 YO though
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My 11 year old gets $10 a week. She has to keep her room tidy, empty dishwasher, clear table and be nice to her sister for that. She saved up for her own Nintendo DS and her own Ipod. She is now saving for some naff skate shoes I refuse to buy. I keep her phone topped up but anything else she wants she pays for herself.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:16 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Ours get $1 per year of their age (9 yr old gets $9, 7 yr gets $7 etc) but only IF they have done their duties, ie. kept their rooms tidy, made their bed, collected their toys etc. They can earn extra money by taking rubbish out, helping with washing the cars, sweeping outside, drying the dishes, hanging out washing etc.... depending on the job, going rate at our house is between 50c - $1 per job.... but also.... if misbehaving and giving trouble, deductions to pocket money follows.... Sounds hard, but seems to work in our house quite well.

Also with Layby, we have been teaching it to the kids. If they want something worth say worth $100, they keep taking their pocket money to the store to layby it, and it makes them realise that to get that stuff, they have to earn it and as it is expensive, little waiting time and more work is required, it doesn't just fall on their lap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.