Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do your kid's enjoy the new lifestyle??

Wikiposts

Do your kid's enjoy the new lifestyle??

Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Do your kid's enjoy the new lifestyle??

Hey all

Just wondering to your kids enjoy their new lifestyle down under??? Mine are 7 and 4 and keep talking about going to the beach and having a swimming pool in the garden and been able to go out and play in the sunshine. Instead of being stuck in the house for months on end here during the winter

Have they taken to the new life well and how are they getting on in their new school?? Also how do they find it getting dark earlier over there even during the summer months??

I feel so sorry for mine when all they want to do is go out and play but its either pissing rain or to cold for them to go out.

Thanks guys
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do your kid's enjoy the new lifestyle??

Mine are loving every minute of it. They are always in the pool, I have to bribe them out most of the time

We only go to the beach occasionally, but mostly because until the beginning of this month I couldn't drive - we have been a few times over the past week though. Got to be careful and make sure they are covered up, but they just love it down there and never want to come home.

They both love school, and are busy at the minute getting everything ready for tomorrow when they are back after the summer break. This is quite an achievement for me as my son hated school in the UK and never wanted to go. He has some great mates here now though, and he has been out with them a few times a week over the holidays.

Sometimes the heat can be a bit of a killer, so they aren't always outdoors but they do go outside a lot more than they did in the UK. We have lights round the pool so they even stay in there after dark (not too bad in SA as the sun doesn't really go down until about 8:30 - 9pm here in the summer) It's a lot easier to get them to bed too, as they don't think it's bed time until the sun goes down

My kids are 8 and 15
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Mine are loving every minute of it. They are always in the pool, I have to bribe them out most of the time

We only go to the beach occasionally, but mostly because until the beginning of this month I couldn't drive - we have been a few times over the past week though. Got to be careful and make sure they are covered up, but they just love it down there and never want to come home.

They both love school, and are busy at the minute getting everything ready for tomorrow when they are back after the summer break. This is quite an achievement for me as my son hated school in the UK and never wanted to go. He has some great mates here now though, and he has been out with them a few times a week over the holidays.

Sometimes the heat can be a bit of a killer, so they aren't always outdoors but they do go outside a lot more than they did in the UK. We have lights round the pool so they even stay in there after dark (not too bad in SA as the sun doesn't really go down until about 8:30 - 9pm here in the summer) It's a lot easier to get them to bed too, as they don't think it's bed time until the sun goes down

My kids are 8 and 15
Thanks Wendy

That is just the response i wanted to hear
I so look forward to having that sort of life for my kids.

Thanks Paddy
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooooooooh Paddy can I reply to this one please?

Take me a while to type the reply but
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Oooooooooooh Paddy can I reply to this one please?

Take me a while to type the reply but
Go on timber be my guest
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Ste

I loved your reply about the bamboo flooring man do you know your trade or else you were all day reading up about it
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Okies.

This is not a definitive answer covering everyones experiences just mine and ours !

I have 3 kids, well young adults.. 14 16 and 17 boy Girl Boy.

All three extremely popular kids back in uk, each with their own set of friends, hobbies, pastimes, and routines.

When we made the move, we had brought them here first, and i think due to our positive , lets do it, attitude, we met with no friction.

Eldest is a computer whizz, but not a geek.. he's for some reason always managed to get stunning girlfriends in the uk, and similarly has done in Oz. WHich I found fkn amazing , cos he grunts when he talks, and is a lazy prick. He also doesnt venture out very far, albeit of late he has been going to town, so to speak.
Basically, cos of wjere we live, the geography and lifestyle doesnt lend itself to kids meeting up after school and playing, so sport and shared interests become the way kids hook up.

He is down in the Gold Coast at the moment, with his girlfriends family, enjoying a 4 day break at some swanky hotel.

_____
My daughter, well she is a shoppaholic, and by that, I mean kenny everett style, she just window shops ! She meets mates from school, and they catch the train into Brissy, or go to one of the big malls, at North Lakes, Chermside or Lawnton.
She now has a boyfirend, and he is into motocross and speedway, also a surfer. She is loving life, and although she is struggling at school, shes not the most academic kid, but we are all Different !!... she gets on with stuff.
_____
My youngest,, son.. who is 14 going on 15 in cpl of weeks time, is mr charmer. A good looking lad, but totally the opposite of the other two, he has always been a help mum n dad kid, and although hes a handsome brute, he just takes life as he finds it. He is always being chatted up by "chicks" even when he is with me or his mum, and just gets embarassed, smiles, twinkles his eyes, and wanders off with a huge grin.
Academically, hes bordering on mathematical geniarse, and the school, has nurtured his technical skills in maths , and such.. which is what Australia is about.
He also has a girlfriend, and funnily enough his girls mum is a teacher. So i think they are making very mature matches for themselves... weird, cos i was like a hardon on legs at their age !!!

My eldest lad has just won a very good place at Tafe, doing a pre-degree kinda course, in computers, websites and programming. He is in his element !!

I honestly think, to sum up. Australia is all about KIDS. Schools, families , its all kid oriented, and thus you can see 2 sides to child culture here, one side of which is , very badly behaved children whos parents dont even blink.

The positive side, is kids here are . Mature, well spoken, have impeccable manners, are always smiling, and enjoy life.

That isnt by accident, its the environment and the culture.

Of course its not rose tinted, and all that... but for some this will be a MASSIVE shock, when they appreciate the sheer, complexity of schooling here, and the Aussie System'

In my book, it pisses on the UK system from a HUGE height.

Ste hope thats useful, if not to you, but to someone else.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey Ste

I loved your reply about the bamboo flooring man do you know your trade or else you were all day reading up about it
Cheers mate

I had the accolade of being the first person in the UK, to import sell and install Laminate flooring !!! my claim to fame
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Timber

Can i just say one of the first things i want to do
when and if i get to Aus is to go on the piss with you

Because you are such a great help on here i can only imagine how much of a help you would be when on the beer

My 7 year daughter seems to be multi talented and is top of her class on aspects of her work and seems to have a great singing voice and can keep in tune with your woman leona lewis no prob. And as for my 4 year old he has learnt how to use the pc and go online and play the games he wants to play by himself without ever been shown how to.

it frighten's me how he know's but he does.

Anyway thanks for the reply and am glad to hear your kids love it
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:52 am
Banned

Mate when you get here, if your heading out Brisbane way, would be great to meet up.

Its a brilliant lifestyle, if not daunting. But thats the idea , I think anyway behind expats, is it gives you not just information, but real life, people with shared adventures, interests, languages, and aspirations.

I dont mean that to sound like the words to a score from, the hillas are a bloody live with the sound of friggin music, but yanno what i mean lol.

There are in Brisbane, and im sure all across Australia, small pockets of people, some say cliques, which doesnt bother me.. but small groups of people, who get together, have a rant, a whinge a drink and a curry... but its always positive, doesnt cost the earth, and doesnt impede or encroach on your life.

Kids are so important, and getting the path for a better future for our kids, is paramount to most of us, if not all, as a number one condition for moving the 12,000 miles or so.

We are as you may know, in an area classed as woop woop, which is what the townies say, but then there are some fantastic pople, who make the effort as and when , from farer afield, such as gympie, sunshine coast, etc.

I personally, would like to see more people from Ipswich and Toowoomba getting in on our meets.

Regarding beer, I have never had issues, with sharing a beer or 3 and having a good yarn. Albeit sometimes, i do yap on about utter crap, lol... I blame that on the grog ! and the SUN !

The main thing, is... once you get over that, overwhelming feeling of actually being here, and get your feet on the ground and nose in the right direction... your off running. Plus, getting the kids involved, and making decisions, and being part of the entire experience, will undoubtedly make for a more rewarding and smooth transition, transatlanticly ! lol

A lot of people on here, many of the regs, do a HUGE amount behind the scenes, and it goes unnoticed or un broadcast.

As an example, a fella messaged me a few months ago, and then we kept in touch by email. Bottom line, I think they are moving out in Feb, and I have given him as many contacts as i know, and he has followed up on these, and now has actual points of reference and aussie contacts before he hits aussie shores...

Its all about, LOOKING OUT FOR EACH OTHER... and not scoring points.

Trigger on here, is a funny bugger... yet without question, he offered to make me some driveway gates. I mean from raw material up, and did such a fkn wonderful job, I am still speechless as to his generosity.

PAPA on here, hasnt posted a massive amount, but copies me reggae music cd's and sends them to me, or hands them to em at meets, and just a terrific fella, and beaut family.

SOAPY is just the nicest guy, awesome wife, beaut kids... and just is a born organiser.

232bar is just the biggest wind up merchant on here, but is so bloody loveable in reality, and such a nice honest decent guy, its bloody unreal.

Cresta57, the man makes me PMSL, he has such a dry sense of humour... and is just a 110% true blue guy.

Same goes for everyone else, incidentallu im just picking random ppl out...

Theres LUKEIAMOFYAFAITH or whatever his bloody screenname is, the guy is so generous, and his public forum persona, is a persona.. hes a top guy.

PaulandNic, genuine helpful guy, heart of gold.. will help you on anything and everything !!!

FluffytheCAMPclothingFELLA pmsl.. what a guy, personable, honest a blokes bloke.. !

BobbyFTM, well hes always pissed... but when he is occasionally sober hes even better lol, really nice genuine GUY!

Mate, the point is, there are hundreds on here, literally hundreds, with no hidden agenda, and are all just wonderful people... hence we do meets, and its always OPEN INVITE, so how can that be classed as CLIQUEY?

The rub is, your kids will love it. And when or if it ever gets tuff, there are real people, with real ears to listen , and offer help, advice or whatever.

Whatever happens, your not alone in OZ !

I do talk shit at times huh !!! lmffao

Ste

Not to forget, Geelong Gent, OH, the BLOKE(<met him big bastard ), BIX, ASTONMAN, AMAZULU.... and lots more, I would love someday to meet and like you have a beer with !
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Timber

You sure make it all sound worth while
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:26 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Okies.

_____
My daughter, well she is a shoppaholic, and by that, I mean kenny everett style, she just window shops ! She meets mates from school, and they catch the train into Brissy, or go to one of the big malls, at North Lakes, Chermside or Lawnton.She now has a boyfirend, and he is into motocross and speedway, also a surfer. She is loving life, and although she is struggling at school, shes not the most academic kid, but we are all Different !!... she gets on with stuff.

I grew up in Lawnton. Used to work in the Lawnton Newsagency as a kid. Having been there last year as well, I am wondering how a craft shop, convenience store, post office, bakery, fish and chip shop, pottery shop and hardware can keep a shopaholic occupied! Do you mean Strathpine? What did they replace Myers with? I worked at Myers too.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:02 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy

My kids are 8 and 15
Just read this with my 9 year old. Sounds fabulous - can't wait!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Just read this with my 9 year old. Sounds fabulous - can't wait!

Before we got here, my (then) 13 year old said to me that there was no way he was staying in Australia and that he was moving back to the UK to live with his Grandma as soon as he turned 18. Five hours after landing, he said Mum, I'm still going back to England when I'm 18, but only to visit
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Timber
The information you give out on here is fantastic, can't wait to bring the family over and enjoy some meets and get to know some people, i will also give you a run for your money on talking crap after a few beers. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.