Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

do you work harder in australia than u did in the uk?

View Poll Results: do you work harder in australia than you did in the uk
do you work harder in australia
58.00%
did you work harder in the uk
42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

do you work harder in australia than u did in the uk?

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you work harder in australia than u did in the uk?

Originally Posted by wmoore
And so love blossoms once more on BE!

Will you tell your wives?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:46 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
And so love blossoms once more on BE!

Will you tell your wives?
not at first. You know how it is
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Er .... no idea! I'll be picking Mrs M up from work tomorrow in Cleveland at about 630 so how about a cheeky one somewhere tomorrow afternoon?
oh bugger no can tomorrow off up north to petrie what about a couple late on monday arvo ?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
oh bugger no can tomorrow off up north to petrie what about a couple late on monday arvo ?
That works. Name your venue.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

That works. Name your venue.
We're in Cleveland ,where are you?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:17 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people do long hours, but do bugger all work while there.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats right, there's almost an expectation to arrive early and stay late. I now bring piles home and do it while watching the forum. No money or time off in lieu, but its the only way it'll get done.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I definitely work much harder and longer hours in Australia. I'm on the same job (sub-editor) but because the company I work for is rapidly expanding and taking on more work, the workload just keeps going up and up. They still keep saying they don't have quite enough extra work to justify taking on another person, though
We're meant to do 37.5 hours a week - but I'd say 50 hours is more the norm, and it's not uncommon to do 60-plus.
No overtime either, but working in the media I've never had overtime in all my working life
Funnily enough, despite the extra hours, and the stress, I don't mind my job here...in fact it's probably the first job I've had where I haven't been fed up and looking to leave after about 12 months! Probably to do with the fact that going to and from work is much less stressful, and the blue skies and sunshine when you travel to work and leave the office is much more pleasant.
Plus I want the to sponsor me for residency later this year, so I just do what I'm told and get on with it
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:56 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
We're in Cleveland ,where are you?
I'm in Wynnum but I'll be in Cleveland tomorrow arvy too - Mrs M is at work again tomorrow
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

without a doubt i work, much, much harder, coz we need more money to survive and the shortage of staff also adds to this, i would honestly say, i would say in scotland we had about 3 nurses for what i do here so much so this has definately taken its toll on my back, cant work again coz its knackered again, was never off once in scotland with back problems
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I should start keeping track of these threads.

This one follows a familiar theme: "I work so much harder here in Australia! The Australian work ethic demands heavy hours; everyone stays late, takes work home, and expects you to do the same".

In a few months, we'll have a thread which claims the exact opposite: "Australians are so lazy! They all work such short hours; nobody does any overtime; there's no requirement to do extra work, and everyone expects that you'll just doss around the place like the rest of them. I worked so much harder in the UK, and I was proud to do so!"

The truth lies between these two extremes.

\i can honestly say the aussie nurses work like dogs, , but as i said its the shortage of staff thats partly to blame,
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin
Loads of people do long hours, but do bugger all work while there.
u wana come work with me for a few days mate?