Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:49 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Originally Posted by Alan-
Maybe people may think it's better to just fade away and be forgotten than have someone tell you you don't want to come to something, because you don't really like them and think they are arseholes ???

Alan.
What ARE you saying exactly, Alan?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan-
With the friends thing, it's maybe something to do with the rule that I try and go by.

"If you cant say anything nice, try not to say anything"

I'm not saying that's an excuse, but being from Yorkshire I know I can be blount and say the wrong thing !!!!.

Maybe people may think it's better to just fade away and be forgotten than have someone tell you you don't want to come to something, because you don't really like them and think they are arseholes ???

Alan.
Know what you mean, Alan. I have a very dry sense of humor and sometimes can be seen as blunt or sarcastic. I don't mean to be, but that's just how some see me. The older I get, the more I realise that I have to be myself and not watch every word I say. We had people over a couple of weeks ago and the entire night I had to think very carefully about what I was going to say next so as not to offend anyone. It made for a very unpleasant night.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:01 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Know what you mean, Alan. I have a very dry sense of humor and sometimes can be seen as blunt or sarcastic. I don't mean to be, but that's just how some see me. The older I get, the more I realise that I have to be myself and not watch every word I say. We had people over a couple of weeks ago and the entire night I had to think very carefully about what I was going to say next so as not to offend anyone. It made for a very unpleasant night.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

and IMO, also the funniest I'm sure we'd get on famously!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:07 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Do you find people 'flakey' here?

My daughter is signing up this weekend at Quinn's. I'm as excited as she is, I think.

Back to the friends thing. We had a friends in Adelaide who we just clicked with right away. We all enjoyed the same things and loved getting together just to sit on a patio having a coffee or a beer. I haven't really met anyone here in Perth yet who I feel that same "kinship" with. Not to say I haven't met some really lovely people, but I don't think it's the same. Just lately I've come to the conculsion that I'm likable so if people don't want to be with me then it's their loss. If you want, Jules, I'll be your friend. You too, Lace.
Hey Dorothy! I thought that was just me......I met up with many people from the Adelaide based forum 'Adelaidebrits' and within a reasonably short space of time felt that I had 3 or 4 aquaintances that were fast becoming good friends Which felt really good after such a major upheaval in life. I will even go as far to say that those friendships are far more rewarding than most of those I had in the U.K. Within time 'normal' friendships happened too.......Likeminded Mums outside the classroom, neighbours, work collegues etc

I think I was very lucky first time round as I haven't felt as if I have 'clicked' (or had potential to ) with most ex-pats I have met through the internet here....I'm sure the exceptions know who you are It made me feel sad and I stopped attending meets and have consequently made one really good friend and quite a few that I see on a regular basis.

The whole 'ex-pat' situation isn't that normal really is it? You get to meet people that you wouldn't ever have met in your life in the U.K....well I know I have! I also think there's a big thing in the North/South divide...there just isn't that instant common ground and also some kind of history of division between North and South in the U.K.

I am guilty of flakey behaviour in the past.....mainly due to social anxiety and initially trying to 'do the right thing' and fit in initially....some of the time I'll like the wife/kids but can't stand the hubby after the first meet or as has been mentioned by the OP ....be put off by the 'oneupmanship' of a new life enriched by equity in U.K £'s. I agree that constantly harping on about how well your doing may well be some kind of insecurity on the part of the person and they somehow need to constantly affirm why they emmigrated. Rather than 'competing' with one another we should support each other as we all have been mad/brave/bold enough to take the plunge and actually DO what lots of people talk about but never actually have the balls/means to accomplish. We should help others have a fair go, not be 'tall poppies' and not give a stuff about material possesions.....evaluate each person for who they are not what they have.

Lets not be disheartened and still extend the hand of friendship to newcomers and all of us prone to flakeness be sure to return calls/texts and recipicate with the BBQ's and coffee invites

Jan

Even so the 'keeping up with the Jones' is a hard mentality to shake after a whole lifetime of it don't you think?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Hey Dorothy! I thought that was just me......I met up with many people from the Adelaide based forum 'Adelaidebrits' and within a reasonably short space of time felt that I had 3 or 4 aquaintances that were fast becoming good friends Which felt really good after such a major upheaval in life. I will even go as far to say that those friendships are far more rewarding than most of those I had in the U.K. Within time 'normal' friendships happened too.......Likeminded Mums outside the classroom, neighbours, work collegues etc

I think I was very lucky first time round as I haven't felt as if I have 'clicked' (or had potential to ) with most ex-pats I have met through the internet here....I'm sure the exceptions know who you are It made me feel sad and I stopped attending meets and have consequently made one really good friend and quite a few that I see on a regular basis.

The whole 'ex-pat' situation isn't that normal really is it? You get to meet people that you wouldn't ever have met in your life in the U.K....well I know I have! I also think there's a big thing in the North/South divide...there just isn't that instant common ground and also some kind of history of division between North and South in the U.K.

I am guilty of flakey behaviour in the past.....mainly due to social anxiety and initially trying to 'do the right thing' and fit in initially....some of the time I'll like the wife/kids but can't stand the hubby after the first meet or as has been mentioned by the OP ....be put off by the 'oneupmanship' of a new life enriched by equity in U.K £'s. I agree that constantly harping on about how well your doing may well be some kind of insecurity on the part of the person and they somehow need to constantly affirm why they emmigrated. Rather than 'competing' with one another we should support each other as we all have been mad/brave/bold enough to take the plunge and actually DO what lots of people talk about but never actually have the balls/means to accomplish. We should help others have a fair go, not be 'tall poppies' and not give a stuff about material possesions.....evaluate each person for who they are not what they have.

Lets not be disheartened and still extend the hand of friendship to newcomers and all of us prone to flakeness be sure to return calls/texts and recipicate with the BBQ's and coffee invites

Jan

Even so the 'keeping up with the Jones' is a hard mentality to shake after a whole lifetime of it don't you think?
You talk a lot of sense, Jan.

Jules x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is signing up this weekend at Quinn's. I'm as excited as she is, I think.

Back to the friends thing. We had a friends in Adelaide who we just clicked with right away. We all enjoyed the same things and loved getting together just to sit on a patio having a coffee or a beer. I haven't really met anyone here in Perth yet who I feel that same "kinship" with. Not to say I haven't met some really lovely people, but I don't think it's the same. Just lately I've come to the conculsion that I'm likable so if people don't want to be with me then it's their loss. If you want, Jules, I'll be your friend. You too, Lace.
When you are down and out ....... well that's when you find who your friends really are...... truly ...... I thought we didn't have any

We struggled with 3 babes in arms when we first arrived (they are all over 6 foot now ...... I'm about 5'-6" and the wife is 5' nothing so don't know where the height came from?)........ and it was hard to mix in at first.

I found that no-one wanted to know us at school cos we were out of work it was really snobby at East Wanneroo pre-primary....... and I mean really really snobby....the mums were up themselves.... think everyone was called Jones in those days and we couldn't keep up wiv em due to our circumstances.

We had a crap old banger van, a crap house which was falling to bits and had a leaking roof (really got conned into buying that old heap of rubbish!)...... try as we may, neither of us could get a job ... in those days there was definitely a stigma attached to the great unemployed. Annoyingly; that was the first time ever I had been unemployed.

Once we got on our feet which took us a few years; wow..... did things change or what? After many years of hard work and effort....... we have cracked it and have got well and truly on our feet.......... and the ones who didn't want to know us when we were down and out .......... well I have a long memory and they can all pogue mahone!!!

We treat everyone the same ......... we're not bothered how much money they have ......... or how little ....... it's none of our business? We get a great deal of pleasure out of helping people. Last Christmas I gave a real good friend of ours a car as he had fallen on hard times.... he couldn't believe it. He'd just got a new job after being unemployed for years........ he borrowed his daughter's old bomb only to have a yellow sticker put on it by the cops. He needed transport for work........ so that was his Christmas present. Same bloke had visited me in hospital nearly every day when I was in a bind...... I hadn't forgotten that.

If we put on a gathering at our place; it's not unusual to have 50 or 60 cars parked up our driveway (most we've ever had is 76)....... not all British; it's usually a real cosmopolitan mix. Problem now though is I am slowing down. I often make excuses for not wanting to go out. Don't mean to be disrespectful to our hosts.......... I'm usually just too knackered. I'm glad the Hyde Park changed hands or shut down....... missis kept dragging me off down there to dance to live rock n' roll bands....... I'm too old for that caper.

As long as they're not 'oity-toity' ............ I get on with everyone.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by julesandco
What ARE you saying exactly, Alan?
Well I'm just saying it as I see it, and how I deal with it.

You can't be life long friends with everyone you meet, and you can't force someone to like you , just because you like them.

It's a long history which makes for good friends, and it's the lack of history, by the nature of emigrating, which I see may be causing the problems discussed??

But what do I know, I can be a good friend, but enjoy time on my own without the need for company. Although some may call this sad, I feel it is a blessing in disguise.

Alan.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:00 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered if any of you had similar experiences?

Since we've been here, we've made a huge effort to make friends and settle. However *most* of the expats we've befriended (or tried to befriend) have been really flakey - by this I mean they say they'll turn up for something, then ten minutes before it's due to start they phone with a feeble excuse to cancel.

People seemed more concerned with 'what they've got' than they were in the UK. We know a family who were building two houses, one to live in whilst they built their 'proper' home and whenever you asked them how the house was coming along, they'd ask 'big house or little house?'. I just wanted to slap them!

Do you think it's the Brits that are overly concerned with what everyone's got - how big it is and how much it cost? The Aussies we've met don't seem to give a rats a*se!

Sorry - bit of a rant tonight. I'm just sick of people's attitudes at the moment. Everyone seems to be prepared to take but no-one wants to give!

Jules x

(P.S. In no way, shape or form does any of the above relate to the lovely lot who came to our last BBQ Honest )

Haven't read the rest of this thread but yes i agree Jules

I've met a few 'poms' that were more interested in whether what i had was bigger or better than theirs! so i don't bother with them now, more to life and all that!

and yes the aussie's that i know don't give a rat's arse what we've got or not got! they like me/us for being just me/us!

Personally i couldn't give a shit what someone else has, i'm fairly happy with what i've got if they're not thats their problem!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:02 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
When you are down and out ....... well that's when you find who your friends really are...... truly ...... I thought we didn't have any

We struggled with 3 babes in arms when we first arrived (they are all over 6 foot now ...... I'm about 5'-6" and the wife is 5' nothing so don't know where the height came from?)........ and it was hard to mix in at first.

I found that no-one wanted to know us at school cos we were out of work it was really snobby at East Wanneroo pre-primary....... and I mean really really snobby....the mums were up themselves.... think everyone was called Jones in those days and we couldn't keep up wiv em due to our circumstances.

We had a crap old banger van, a crap house which was falling to bits and had a leaking roof (really got conned into buying that old heap of rubbish!)...... try as we may, neither of us could get a job ... in those days there was definitely a stigma attached to the great unemployed. Annoyingly; that was the first time ever I had been unemployed.

Once we got on our feet which took us a few years; wow..... did things change or what? After many years of hard work and effort....... we have cracked it and have got well and truly on our feet.......... and the ones who didn't want to know us when we were down and out .......... well I have a long memory and they can all pogue mahone!!!

We treat everyone the same ......... we're not bothered how much money they have ......... or how little ....... it's none of our business? We get a great deal of pleasure out of helping people. Last Christmas I gave a real good friend of ours a car as he had fallen on hard times.... he couldn't believe it. He'd just got a new job after being unemployed for years........ he borrowed his daughter's old bomb only to have a yellow sticker put on it by the cops. He needed transport for work........ so that was his Christmas present. Same bloke had visited me in hospital nearly every day when I was in a bind...... I hadn't forgotten that.

If we put on a gathering at our place; it's not unusual to have 50 or 60 cars parked up our driveway (most we've ever had is 76)....... not all British; it's usually a real cosmopolitan mix. Problem now though is I am slowing down. I often make excuses for not wanting to go out. Don't mean to be disrespectful to our hosts.......... I'm usually just too knackered. I'm glad the Hyde Park changed hands or shut down....... missis kept dragging me off down there to dance to live rock n' roll bands....... I'm too old for that caper.

As long as they're not 'oity-toity' ............ I get on with everyone.

Good post John
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
Haven't read the rest of this thread but yes i agree Jules

I've met a few 'poms' that were more interested in whether what i had was bigger or better than theirs! so i don't bother with them now, more to life and all that!

and yes the aussie's that i know don't give a rat's arse what we've got or not got! they like me/us for being just me/us!

Personally i couldn't give a shit what someone else has, i'm fairly happy with what i've got if they're not thats their problem!
maybe that is why I don't have too many mates then cos I don't have nowt!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:08 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
There's food for thought (not for you for me) cos I don't have many friends either

Still, I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone has or doesn't have, where they live or don't, what they drive or how big or new this or that is.

If they are nice to me I will be nice to them, they don't have to be my best friend and I don't want to live in anyones pocket or vice versa, but it would be nice to be able to go out for a coffee once in a while with a like minded person.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:10 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have a job that doesn't pay great...but I love
I don't live in a big house,.. I live in an apartment in a cool area
My friends that I have are real friends, that I regularly see, and don't wait for a formal invitation.

What's pissed me off recently is newcomers who were in touch, and who I met with on a few occasions...then dropped me once settled. (If they didn't like me ...fair enough, but why meet me a second time + ?)
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
There's food for thought (not for you for me) cos I don't have many friends either

Still, I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone has or doesn't have, where they live or don't, what they drive or how big or new this or that is.

If they are nice to me I will be nice to them, they don't have to be my best friend and I don't want to live in anyones pocket or vice versa, but it would be nice to be able to go out for a coffee once in a while with a like minded person.
I feel the same.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
I have a job that doesn't pay great...but I love
I don't live in a big house,.. I live in an apartment in a cool area
My friends that I have are real friends, that I regularly see, and don't wait for a formal invitation.

What's pissed me off recently is newcomers who were in touch, and who I met with on a few occasions...then dropped me once settled. (If they didn't like me ...fair enough, but why meet me a second time + ?)
It could be that they have just found new friends closer to where they are, they might not have 'dropped' you as such. I am sure it isn't that they don't like you either just that they have got caught up with their new lives. Only assumptions as I obviously don't know the people concerned.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

I think you're right Cas. Maybe it is the 'survivors clinging to a familiar log' kind of thing. But I have been sh*t on by quite a few families that we have bent over backwards to help and it starts to wear a little thin.
ohhhhhhhhh dear....................sorry to hear u guys have had some bad experiences....

i`ll be there,
(look forward to meeting up with u "jules and co")
?
Claire
xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.