Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:22 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
I did too ...but really can't be bothered with it now.
I have my own life and friends here, and don't need to put it out for new people who just drop you like a stone.
It does wear a little thin, doesn't it?

I've said to my Mum that I'm tired of whoring myself out in the name of a new friendship. It's just really hard to find people that you 'click' with.

It's a fine line between being open to new friendships and being shat on from a great height! I just haven't found the balance yet.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:29 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Didn't really hit it off with the only other Brit I know that lives in my town. Nice enough bloke, but not a lot of common ground between us .. beyond the fact that we were both from the UK, so I left it at that. Don't know if that constitutes flakey behaviour, but I do know where you're coming from Jules.
WOW! Two Brits in one town! I think we've only got two Aussies

I don't think your example constitutes flakey behaviour. When it goes on to involve several nights out and the offer is never recipriocated, or trying to involve people that never return the compliment - that's flakey IMO. You didn't click, fair enough.... move on.

On a lighter note, Hutch - you would be proud of us, we signed the whole family up for Surf Lifesaving this weekend. Won't be doing the Bronze though and the budgie smugglers are definately out for the OH My son has a yellow and black hat - and BOY does he look attractive in it I just wish I could get the images of Paul Hogan out of my head!

J
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:37 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
It does wear a little thin, doesn't it?

I've said to my Mum that I'm tired of whoring myself out in the name of a new friendship. It's just really hard to find people that you 'click' with.

It's a fine line between being open to new friendships and being shat on from a great height! I just haven't found the balance yet.
Our closest friends in Australia are one couple who live a few mins away, who don't come on this site, a couple with kids in Tasmania (who occasionally posts)- and a handful of other friends...Brits and Aussies...but they are friendships built over time ...not borne from the 'clinging onto the log' situation.

You've got me started now
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:39 pm

Our closest friends in Australia are one couple who live a few mins away, who don't come on this site, a couple with kids in Tasmania (who occasionally posts)- and a handful of other friends...Brits and Aussies...but they are friendships built over time ...not borne from the 'clinging onto the log' situation.

You've got me started now
Does that make me the log () or the clinger?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:39 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! Two Brits in one town! I think we've only got two Aussies

I don't think your example constitutes flakey behaviour. When it goes on to involve several nights out and the offer is never recipriocated, or trying to involve people that never return the compliment - that's flakey IMO. You didn't click, fair enough.... move on.

On a lighter note, Hutch - you would be proud of us, we signed the whole family up for Surf Lifesaving this weekend. Won't be doing the Bronze though and the budgie smugglers are definately out for the OH My son has a yellow and black hat - and BOY does he look attractive in it I just wish I could get the images of Paul Hogan out of my head!

J

We know exactly how you feel. We kept aranging things to do with other people, BBQ'S, Bonfire night, Birthdays, Boxing days things ect, we got so fed up with people not bothering to turn up, turn up to nosey round the house then leave, or a couple of times been told they are not comming because they have found something better to do! that we don't bother anymore. We were the ones who did the travelling and saw people round at their houses but only 2 to this day have done the same back, we have been here for 5 years now. By the way we are still in England if anyone is getting confused.

We came to the point of sod them and do our own thing. If someone like minded came along and made the effort, then great. Otherwise we cant be bothered with it all.

IMHO, dont bother arranging big things until you know that they want the same as you. A friendship. Just meet for a few coffee's or lunch, if they don't turn up then it is time on your own with a relaxing coffe and lunch!

This is exactly the same same thing we will do when we get out there. We will have enough on our plates and don't need that kind of behaviour and mentality.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:44 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Does that make me the log () or the clinger?
It was from when you said 'survivors clinging to a familiar log' - well, I don't want to be a log any more.

How long have you been here?

I've been here since Jan 2005 ...so see what I meant about me being settled etc...?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
We know exactly how you feel. We kept aranging things to do with other people, BBQ'S, Bonfire night, Birthdays, Boxing days things ect, we got so fed up with people not bothering to turn up, turn up to nosey round the house then leave, or a couple of times been told they are not comming because they have found something better to do! that we don't bother anymore. We were the ones who did the travelling and saw people round at their houses but only 2 to this day have done the same back, we have been here for 5 years now. By the way we are still in England if anyone is getting confused.

We came to the point of sod them and do our own thing. If someone like minded came along and made the effort, then great. Otherwise we cant be bothered with it all.

IMHO, dont bother arranging big things until you know that they want the same as you. A friendship. Just meet for a few coffee's or lunch, if they don't turn up then it is time on your own with a relaxing coffe and lunch!

This is exactly the same same thing we will do when we get out there. We will have enough on our plates and don't need that kind of behaviour and mentality.
I know what you mean and you know that I know that. lol

No really, one of the first meets I went to was hard. I didn't have a lot in common with the people there. It wasn't anyones fault it was just one of those things. Horses for courses and all that!

I have found that a lot of the ex pats population that I have met did go on a bit about what they had.

No they didn't they went on a lot lol however, you don't expect to get on with everyone. Jules is cool, a really nice down to earth girl with a lovely family. own teeth and everything. (I live along way from the sea HA! Don't make me laugh) sorry about that, an in joke!

You'll make loads of friends mate and if you don't well..... you'll be lonely lol lol lol.

love lace x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

J
Nice one. You going to get involved in some of the parents flag races?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:48 pm

It was from when you said 'survivors clinging to a familiar log' - well, I don't want to be a log any more.

How long have you been here?

I've been here since Jan 2005 ...so see what I meant about me being settled etc...?
November 2005; so we've done that circuit too.

Just have to keep trying I guess until we find like-minded people. Didn't think we were that rare!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:49 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lacey21
I know what you mean and you know that I know that. lol

No really, one of the first meets I went to was hard. I didn't have a lot in common with the people there. It wasn't anyones fault it was just one of those things. Horses for courses and all that!

I have found that a lot of the ex pats population that I have met did go on a bit about what they had.

No they didn't they went on a lot lol however, you don't expect to get on with everyone. Jules is cool, a really nice down to earth girl with a lovely family. own teeth and everything. (I live along way from the sea HA! Don't make me laugh) sorry about that, an in joke!

You'll make loads of friends mate and if you don't well..... you'll be lonely lol lol lol.

love lace x
Cant be lonely, kids wont leave us alone for that long!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by lacey21

love lace x
That is SO prolific!!! Have you ever thought of becoming a philosopher?

I might be lonely, but at least I can walk to the beach ........................... and drown myself with despair lol!

Love ya!

Last edited by julesandco; Sep 10th 2007 at 2:53 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nice one. You going to get involved in some of the parents flag races?
I guess so! More interested in getting involved in the Friday night beer sessions

Looking forward to it - it all seems very professionally run. It's just the hat thing!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

dont start you shed or you'll be sitting lonely on Wed lol

STOP PICKING ON MY BEACH

see what I mean this is why the girl has no mates lol

we can always meet at the vernon on Fri. if ya want!!

Lace xxx
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:59 pm
Australian Citizen

November 2005; so we've done that circuit too.

Just have to keep trying I guess until we find like-minded people. Didn't think we were that rare!
Thought you'd been here a good while
Thats what I meant before...our close friends just 'appeared' so to speak
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I guess so! More interested in getting involved in the Friday night beer sessions

Looking forward to it - it all seems very professionally run. It's just the hat thing!
Yea, you look a bit of a tit in the hat - but when you see a lifesaver in heavy surf wearing one, or a load of kids doing their run-swim-run, you realise why they introduced it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.