Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Wikiposts

Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

So let me get this right, some people leave the UK because they feel there are to many migrants. So they decide to move to Australia and become migrants themselves even tho Australia has a higher percentage of migrants than the UK. There is a word for that ......Hypocrisy i believe
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Originally Posted by papilon
So let me get this right, some people leave the UK because they feel there are to many migrants. So they decide to move to Australia and become migrants themselves even tho Australia has a higher percentage of migrants than the UK. There is a word for that ......Hypocrisy i believe
Close to one in four Britons, a higher percentage than in the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain, believe that immigration is the country's biggest problem.

What would you call all those people? Ignorant, misguided, ill-informed or, let me guess, racist?
I suppose there's no chance that they might have a point?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:54 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

OR....

Some people leave UK as it's over crowded and unable to cope with the influx of economic migrants as well as the current numbers of population. Generally migrants to Aus have skills to offer and Aus is a far larger country and can accomodate the volumes of migrants it brings in

A little bit different mate.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Close to one in four Britons, a higher percentage than in the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain, believe that immigration is the country's biggest problem.

What would you call all those people? Ignorant, misguided, ill-informed or, let me guess, racist?
I suppose there's no chance that they might have a point?

No just hypocrites.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

No just hypocrites.
That's one in four Britons.. IN BRITAIN. How are they hypocrites?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Feb 3rd 2011 at 6:08 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:06 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That's one in four Britons.. IN BRITON.
Where?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Where?
You know Briton, just up the road from Britain, round the corner from British.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's one in four Britons.. IN BRITON. How are they hypocrites?
Sorry just the ones who then after proclaiming that then became migrants themselves.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If you arrive here as a mature adult and after a few years proclaim yourself to be 100% aussie then imo your fooling yourself. Lived most of my adult life overseas and in the countries i have lived in never felt the need to change what i am and nor has it been expected.
You're avoiding the point, you said

"If your kids were not born here or very young when they arrived of course they will never feel 100% Australian."

Which is a crap. I know people who came here as kids and strongly believe themselves to be 100% Australian.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If you arrive here as a mature adult and after a few years proclaim yourself to be 100% aussie then imo your fooling yourself. Lived most of my adult life overseas and in the countries i have lived in never felt the need to change what i am and nor has it been expected.
Depends on your definition of Australian. It might be as little as wanting to take out citizenship and wanting to integrate and liking and feeling compatible with your new found country. That's not fooling yourself or having to change yourself.

Seems that in general, people really get wound up by the whole notion - needlessly.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
OR....

Some people leave UK as it's over crowded and unable to cope with the influx of economic migrants as well as the current numbers of population. Generally migrants to Aus have skills to offer and Aus is a far larger country and can accomodate the volumes of migrants it brings in

A little bit different mate.
Spot on
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Depends on your definition of Australian. It might be as little as wanting to take out citizenship and wanting to integrate and liking and feeling compatible with your new found country. That's not fooling yourself or having to change yourself.

Seems that in general, people really get wound up by the whole notion - needlessly.
Because 'losing' your nationality is an emotive subject. Some people seem to think that if others become Australian then they will no longer be English. That assumption pisses me off, don't know about other people.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

This bit of the discussion all started when I said i didn't think my kids would ever be 100% Australian. They arrived as a 15 and an 11 year old. They may well surprise me and become 100% Australian... but I still doubt it.

For myself, I arrived in my 40's. I fit in well, I'm a bit bogan, I have no aires and graces and I'm now an Australian citizen.... but I'll never be 100% Australian. Never.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This bit of the discussion all started when I said i didn't think my kids would ever be 100% Australian. They arrived as a 15 and an 11 year old. They may well surprise me and become 100% Australian... but I still doubt it.

For myself, I arrived in my 40's. I fit in well, I'm a bit bogan, I have no aires and graces and I'm now an Australian citizen.... but I'll never be 100% Australian. Never.
+1
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
This is actually legally incorrect.
Yeah that's correct. The Queen of Australia is a separate legal designation in its own right under the Australian Constitution. In all her Australian duties, she speaks and acts as Queen of Australia, and not as Queen of the United Kingdom.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCo...Australia.aspx

Since the passage of the Australia Act 1986, the only action performed by The Queen under the Constitution is the appointment of the Governor-General, on the advice of the Australian Prime Minister.

http://www.gg.gov.au/content.php/cat...d/1/title/role

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.