Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Diving in Aus - ongoing thread

Diving in Aus - ongoing thread

Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:05 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diving in Aus - ongoing thread

We're not moving over until next year, but already really looking forward to the diving. OH and I are both Divemasters and been diving all over the world, but used to do most of our diving around UK (especially Dorset and Cornwall - where my parents handily live). But although I love UK diving, I must admit I'm looking forward to leaving the drysuit behind and getting to know the diving delights Brissie has to offer.

I've done a bit of Aussie diving before - fave dives included Exmouth pier and the Yongala, but looking forward to making it a regular thing. We live in London at the moment (and don't have a car) so it's a massive effort to get in to blow some bubbles at all. Sounds like we'd be right to bring all our kit (except drysuits!) with us then?

Just wondering - are there many clubs in Brissie, or do people tend to just book onto any boat (from a dive shop?) that is going out?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:39 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Just wondering - are there many clubs in Brissie, or do people tend to just book onto any boat (from a dive shop?) that is going out?
It seems to me that each dive shop operates a kind of rewards club pay a small fee and save 10% on store goods etc. Each shop has it's own small dive boat that's available for charter, some aren't the most comfortable craft to spend a couple of hours on. Periodically the shops seem to charter one of the bigger boats that are doing the charter rounds.

have a look at Redcliffe dive centre and Blue Zone Scuba
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:55 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
Don't fight it, you know deep down that those Faber cylinders, made in Italy, on exactly the same production line to exactly the same spec worldwide are actually inferior to the ones they export to Australia. You know you can't possibly buy better than an "Australian Faber cylinder", made in Italy...................................
You mean those two bright yellow ornamental things that decorate the garage were actually working cylinders that were perfectly legal and worked without problems until we set foot in Aus when they mysteriously became inferior dangerous yellow ornaments?

Sometimes the Australians are not complacent but so pig headed it just defies logic.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Hi all.

I'm moving to Melbourne and want to learn to dive. Not as exotic as GBR but is visibility good and is there plenty fun to be had?

Bear in mind i'm a first timer and a few big fish will probably keep me happy.

Steve.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi all.

I'm moving to Melbourne and want to learn to dive. Not as exotic as GBR but is visibility good and is there plenty fun to be had?

Bear in mind i'm a first timer and a few big fish will probably keep me happy.

Steve.

Have heard rumours you still need semi-dry or dry suit in Melbourne area but haven't dived there myself.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:26 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Any other divers in the Sydney area? Everyone seems to be in Brisbane!!

Great diving down here don't you know - piccy from this weekend...

Graham

Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner

Graham

What a fab pic!! I need to look in to getting a casing for my camera.
Not in Australia yet, but will be just inland from Newcastle in April, hoping to dive up and down the coast from there. (That's when I discover some hidden gem of a bargain equipment retailer to kit myself out and still have money left to actually get out on a boat!!)
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:56 pm

Graham

Our local shop often goes to Byron Bay but we haven't had the chance to go yet but it's on the wish list.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:52 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

This there an Oz version of BSAC ie a non profit club.
Or is it just PADI (Put Another Dolar In) over here.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:35 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Our local shop often goes to Byron Bay but we haven't had the chance to go yet but it's on the wish list.
Byron? That's closer to Brissie than Sydney isn't it?

Went up there over Christmas - excellent diving, particularly out at Julian Rocks. Lots and lots of big rays (including gorgeous Eagle Ray). Can't wait to go back.

Also did Fish Rock Cave at South West Rocks - Quality diving.

Graham
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:58 am

Byron? That's closer to Brissie than Sydney isn't it?

Went up there over Christmas - excellent diving, particularly out at Julian Rocks. Lots and lots of big rays (including gorgeous Eagle Ray). Can't wait to go back.

Also did Fish Rock Cave at South West Rocks - Quality diving.

Graham
Yes closer to Brisbane than Sydney... hence why it's on our list of must do dives... .
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
We just bit the bullet and re did with PADI on the basis that they still seem the most world wide excepted. Ironically if we'd done ours with PADI instead of the local club in the first place, we wouldn't have had to spend it all again re doing it all here. Sub Aqua wouldn't let us remain off shore members so then the dive quals ran out once club membership expired... .
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:05 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Any other divers in the Sydney area?
I'm in Syd, but have not been diving yet & we have been here over a year now. I do have the excuse that for the first 8mths I was pregnant, now with not so little bubs & house hunting.

where abouts in syd are you?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:07 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
there is a BSAC club in Sydney, but don't think there are any others. Could try the BSAC website to check.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:11 am
no longer searching

Originally Posted by annqldau
Sub Aqua wouldn't let us remain off shore members so then the dive quals ran out once club membership expired... .
what???
left uk BSAC club, not joined one here (probably join Sydney BSAC). Are you saying the BSAC qualifications expire/not transferrable??? (btw I qualified up to Dive Leader Advanced Nitrox, O2 & 1st Aid for divers) I had a gap in BSAC membership in UK during 1st pregnancy & there were no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.