Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She's 17 and can't drink because she's Epileptic and doesn't even like the taste (how long that will last I have no idea ). She's not keen on the pregnancy route. OK so there's not a healthy way of doing it, just has to fill her face with junk. Fair enough.
Maybe you could put her through hynosis and get the therapist to make her believe she is married.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Protein shakes
Absolutely. Supplement those to normal food. Don't buy supermarket crap though and order a proper Mass Gainer in bulk and mix it with milk.

Something like http://www.supplementcity.com.au/sho...oducts_id=1812 has about 1200 calories in it per serve. Thats a lot to add in and I would split the 2 scoop mix into 1 scoop morning and 1 evening.

A few guys and girls I know have been on that before and had good results. There are others out there and its just important to use a mass gainer rather than a normal protein shake. Your local supplement store would only be happy to advise, but you can usually order online cheaper and in bulk you save $$.

Use that in conjunction with a decent diet and steer away from junk and carb fests such as pasta imo. A calorie is not just a calorie and its still important to eat a fairly balanced diet.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:50 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
A calorie is not just a calorie and its still important to eat a fairly balanced diet.
so chips with her burger then?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:40 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Maybe you could put her through hynosis and get the therapist to make her believe she is married.
you rotter lol!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Absolutely. Supplement those to normal food. Don't buy supermarket crap though and order a proper Mass Gainer in bulk and mix it with milk.

Something like http://www.supplementcity.com.au/sho...oducts_id=1812 has about 1200 calories in it per serve. Thats a lot to add in and I would split the 2 scoop mix into 1 scoop morning and 1 evening.
That looks like the same sort of stuff I got her for after the op, can't remember the name but got it from a health/fitness shop after a lot of advice from the sales person.

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
you rotter lol!
I was ignoring that one
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:55 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Potatoes and bread. My downfall. Especially when eaten as a chip butty with lashings of Lurpak and tomato sauce.

But seriously - eggs, tuna, pasta but not to excess, bananas (slows everything down in there so you get to absorb more), full fat milk and plenty of cheese.

I think I would stay away from high sugar foods and go for protein and good fats, as people with high metabolisms just tend to burn off the sugar before it has chance to convert. An exercise program deisgned to build bulk might help as well - sounds odd, but when the body is using the protein and fat its more likely to want to hang on to it.

Hope you find something that works for her.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Like centurion said make sure they are the right protein shakes. When bulking I use a mass gainer but when cutting I use a straightforward protein. USN and Sci Mx are two pretty good brands for ensuring the quality of the products.

In addition, try and get her intake of health fats up. Use olive oil as a dressing or even throw it in the protein shake. I promise she will not taste any difference so go as far as to not tell her you have put it in. As much as junk food would help her put on weight I wouldn't like to see what it would do to her digestive system. Try a 40%/30%/30% Protein/Carbs/Fat ratio. Try and get her to eat 1.5 grams of protein/ 2 grams of carbohydrate per pound of bodyweight. A gram of protein and a gram of carbohydrate both have 4 calories and a gram of fat has 9 calories.

For a 120lb girl that would equate to 180 grams of protein, 240 grams of carbs and 107 grams of fat. This is then 2600 calories. It may sound a lot for a woman but you say she needs to put on weight. You will quickly blow through that many calories if you live on junk food. If she cannot handle that much then adjust the ratio's to suit what she is capable of. Bear in mind that if she has three shakes per day then the amount of food she needs won't be as much.

There are plenty of websites out there to tell you how the macronutrient content of various foods. A good one is FitDay.com and has the added bonus that you can track her daily intake free once you sign up to the basic package.

Last edited by Si T; Aug 9th 2010 at 12:38 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. We're judging whether she's putting any on by how her clothes fit. Before the op she wore a size 8 school skirt, just had to get a new one - size 4 which adjusts down to size 3 which fits a treat
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Thanks for that. We're judging whether she's putting any on by how her clothes fit. Before the op she wore a size 8 school skirt, just had to get a new one - size 4 which adjusts down to size 3 which fits a treat
The bottom line is that the numbers don't matter a damn as long as she is healthy and confident.

If you need to do any further research then a good website is t-muscle.com

I know its a bodybuilding website but there is a good section there for women who are figure athletes and they will be able to give you excellent nutrition advice specific to women rather than what I put above which is obviously from my own experience as a male weightlifter.

If you need any further pointers please feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Si T
The bottom line is that the numbers don't matter a damn as long as she is healthy and confident.

If you need to do any further research then a good website is t-muscle.com

I know its a bodybuilding website but there is a good section there for women who are figure athletes and they will be able to give you excellent nutrition advice specific to women rather than what I put above which is obviously from my own experience as a male weightlifter.

If you need any further pointers please feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
Many thanks to you and everyone. She is healthy and confident and knows she will never be anything other than slim but is worrying that the (expensive) formal frock we've got will be too large come November It's all gone from her waist bum and hips - bitch
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:21 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to you and everyone. She is healthy and confident and knows she will never be anything other than slim but is worrying that the (expensive) formal frock we've got will be too large come November It's all gone from her waist bum and hips - bitch
You could ask her Dr about her taking the pill, the increase in hormones can often lead to weight gain especially in the bum, hips and breasts.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by kelli28
You could ask her Dr about her taking the pill, the increase in hormones can often lead to weight gain especially in the bum, hips and breasts.
She's on it already.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

From Dietitians Association of Australia website:

"Ideas that can help to meet nutritional needs include:

•eating small frequent meals and snacks to fit in more food throughout the day
•having full-cream milk drinks between meals
•adding more oil and margarine to food in cooking
•adding skim milk powder to soups, stews and drinks
•adding grated cheese to cooked foods
•snacking on cheese and crackers, nuts and dried fruit during the day"

Skimmed milk powder is very cheap and easy to add to lots of different foods, such as smoothies, custards, mash, etc.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Can her doctor refer her to a nutritionist?

Good advice, plus another FULL medical check up. I say that because our friends in Canadas daughter was mysteriously slim, 40 something kilo, quite tall, it was Diabetes.

She actually had several other health problems but had hidden them as she was pretty impressed with how thin she was and how much admiration it got from the friends - teenage girls

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:28 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw that bit, deffo a check up, thats tiny.

Its worrying I know, the 13 year old just hit 6 foot, probably a bit more actually, but he weighs 9stone, people look, however he grew 30cm in a few months so body weight will catch up, he hasnt got eating disorder though, about 3500 calories a day, I checked it for a week and looks like we just have to wait till width equals height LOL.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.