Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diet for putting on weight - help required.

First Born had a major op about five weeks ago and because of it lost about 5 kilos. This would probably be great news for a large percentage of people but she takes after her dad and eats like a horse whilst never getting bigger. Before the op she was 5'7" and weighed 49 kilos. She's gone back up to 45 kilos but we need some good ideas for healthy putting weight on foods.

If one more person tells her she's underweight or even anorexic we will all thump them really hard. She's actually really fit in both senses of the word but her clothes are falling off her and she needs fat.

Someone told me that pasta isn't a good food for her to eat, is that right? None of us have ever had to worry about diet or good or bad foods so it's a bit of an unknown for us although the doctors used to worry about the husband until they saw him eat three or four roast dinners a day when he was in hospital once
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet for putting on weight - help required.

Protein shakes
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Protein shakes
She was on those for a month from the op onwards, first week or so they were the only thing she could manage to get in the mouth, however even with having one or two a day together with 'normal' food she's only put on less than a kilo and they're bloody expensive. I think I will have to get another big pot of them though, just wondered if anyone knew of good fattening up stuff. There's a huge market out there for losing weight but not for putting it on in a healthy way.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Guiness, peanuts and deep fried Mars bars.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Guiness, peanuts and deep fried Mars bars.
She's tried Guinness and nearly threw up. Likes peanuts but just gagged when I suggested the mars bar idea.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She's tried Guinness and nearly threw up. Likes peanuts but just gagged when I suggested the mars bar idea.
Deep fried peanuts then.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:59 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

First Born had a major op about five weeks ago and because of it lost about 5 kilos. This would probably be great news for a large percentage of people but she takes after her dad and eats like a horse whilst never getting bigger. Before the op she was 5'7" and weighed 49 kilos. She's gone back up to 45 kilos but we need some good ideas for healthy putting weight on foods.

If one more person tells her she's underweight or even anorexic we will all thump them really hard. She's actually really fit in both senses of the word but her clothes are falling off her and she needs fat.

Someone told me that pasta isn't a good food for her to eat, is that right? None of us have ever had to worry about diet or good or bad foods so it's a bit of an unknown for us although the doctors used to worry about the husband until they saw him eat three or four roast dinners a day when he was in hospital once
That should be all the things I try and avoid, carbs, nuts & cheese.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

She was on those for a month from the op onwards, first week or so they were the only thing she could manage to get in the mouth, however even with having one or two a day together with 'normal' food she's only put on less than a kilo and they're bloody expensive. I think I will have to get another big pot of them though, just wondered if anyone knew of good fattening up stuff. There's a huge market out there for losing weight but not for putting it on in a healthy way.
Well, I can talk from a opposite experience. When I got diagnosed with my kidney condition I was told to try and cut out protein as much as possible from my diet. So I became a frickin vegan for 6 weeks. In that time I lost 10 kilos (not intentionally). I also learned how to fart on cue. Since then I have been set straight by my dietician.

So from what I learned from her I would say....

Lots and lots of meat, pasta high carb and protein stuff. Full fat milk. As much soft drink as she can drink and lots of sweets.

Honest to god, that is what she prescribed me. She said it is one of the few situations where she prescribes the complete anithesis of a normal healthy diet.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought some kind of powder that we added to Mumbles home made soups and shakes from the chemist... when he had surgery he was on a liquid diet for 4 weeks and can still only have softish foods... Can't find the tin, but it was Big and blue and came from Terry White's

We added butter to everything that was mashed and fortified rice puddings with cream... loads of Milk jellies too ... sounds yuck, tastes yum... and he lived on smoothies fortified with this powder, for weeks...

Thankfully He didn't loose much weight ... he didn't weigh much to start with so we didn't have a margin to play with...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If your daughter is like your hubby they are called "hard gainers" which means they have trouble putting on weight no matter what they eat. My OH back in the UK started going to the gym and was having trouble bulking up, the trainer suggested protein shakes after work out and later in the day...we spent a flippin fortune on this stuff and he gained about a pound, he gave up!

So if your daughter is like that it will just take a while for her to get back upto weight. Probably the "eat anything" will be good in the short term but just eating healthily with protein at each meal should help. Maybe just start increasing her portion sizes slowly as otherwise she'll just feel too full and bloated. Then as she recovers and gets more active you might find you need to increase portion sizes yet again.

Either that or she can wait until she hits 40 and then it all piles on!

Hope she starts gaining weight soon.

KK
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have her eating the lollies and coke etc. Didn't (and don't) know if they make you fat or just have your teeth fall out
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:23 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have her eating the lollies and coke etc. Didn't (and don't) know if they make you fat or just have your teeth fall out
trust me, they help me equalise my weight
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

in combination a WONDERFUL natural contraceptive dont you think? (just thinking ahead mate)
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Have a read of this, I was just reading it and then saw you post, not really that helpful in the short term, but interesting none the less. I don't easily put on weight, so it was an interesting read.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/well...809-11s5o.html
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Increasing alcohol intake ... all those empty calories... that would be my favourite way of gaining weight... IF I ever had that particular issue...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.