Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Nov 24th 2016, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'All my life's a circle' (your theme song by the New Seekers).

Why would I blame Tory MP's for Brexit? The majority of them were for Remain (see below for source and it's not from the Guardian). Cameron made the big mistake in trying to quell the Eurosceptic MP's in his party (a vocal minority) in calling a referendum with a simple yes or no and no detail on how it would happen should there happen to be a leave vote. He didn't expect it, the polls didn't expect it but it happened and he promptly slinked off. He thought he'd shut them up for a generation at least.

'No real evidence of issues yet'. You have got to be joking. Read Philip Hammond's autumn statement in depth for goodness sake - are you saying he and the OBR are wrong in expecting a black hole in finances and a major slowdown in growth and if so where's your evidence other than blind faith in the 'right' cause. The prediction is that the government coffers will be £122 bill lighter on because of Brexit.

Europe. How Conservative MPs break down. Final Remain estimate – 185 Tory MPs, 91 on the payroll, 94 not. | Conservative Home (185 confirmed Remain; 128 Leave).
are you saying he and the OBR are wrong in expecting a black hole in finances and a major slowdown in growth

Are you feeling any effect of lower household wealth?

Simple question that needs answering.

Futures are futures. We can discuss that if it arises.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
are you saying he and the OBR are wrong in expecting a black hole in finances and a major slowdown in growth

Are you feeling any effect of lower household wealth?

Simple question that needs answering.

Futures are futures. We can discuss that if it arises.
Have you no insight? What happens when the government has reduced revenue (or a bigger borrowing requirement) as a result of the slowdown and the further spending cuts are introduced. My council is being asked to shed over 20% of its current budget this year so yes, I'm seeing the effects in cuts in local services. I'm a fund raiser for our club and I'm finding there are fewer sources available due to government cuts. The interest rates on offer at institutions are derisory so we find it's hardly worthwhile not spending money (i.e. saving) and you'll know that if households save less then businesses have to borrow less. So yeah, the effects are already being felt.

Sir John Major and Tony Blair have called yesterday for a second referendum on the single market. This is due to the uncertainty surrounded the Brexit and that most people weren't sure what the result of the first referendum meant. Now, you've praised Trump for changing his mind to suit conditions so logically you would support this move.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you no insight? What happens when the government has reduced revenue (or a bigger borrowing requirement) as a result of the slowdown and the further spending cuts are introduced. My council is being asked to shed over 20% of its current budget this year so yes, I'm seeing the effects in cuts in local services. I'm a fund raiser for our club and I'm finding there are fewer sources available due to government cuts. The interest rates on offer at institutions are derisory so we find it's hardly worthwhile not spending money (i.e. saving) and you'll know that if households save less then businesses have to borrow less. So yeah, the effects are already being felt.

Sir John Major and Tony Blair have called yesterday for a second referendum on the single market. This is due to the uncertainty surrounded the Brexit and that most people weren't sure what the result of the first referendum meant. Now, you've praised Trump for changing his mind to suit conditions so logically you would support this move.
The age of entitlement is over. Your local government should know that.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The age of entitlement is over. Your local government should know that.
Why do images of Marie Antionette crop up whenever you post?

You pose the question of whether I'm noticing the effects and I tell you yes which you turn into some meaningless crap about the age of entitlement is over. Do you really think the services delivered at local level by councils are some sort of famine relief or handout? Councils in the UK are responsible for the provision of most essential services. For a long time central government has banned them from rate rises and capped their spending and then cut their budgets. Do you see businesses being banned from putting their prices up by central government and capping their revenue?

'My local government' realises how hard times are Einstein. For the last 3 years their grant has been cut by 1.6% p.a. but for 2016/17 this was raised to a cut of 4.6% and they've had to find £20 mill savings from the budget they originally set when expecting a 1.6% cut. If the UK was the land of milk and honey you imagine in your mind why is this happening?
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Britons could pay to keep EU citizenship after Brexit, top negotiator says
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And papers released yesterday under the 30 year rule show Thatcher secretly tried to dismantle the welfare state:

Margaret Thatcher secretly tried to press ahead with a politically toxic plan to dismantle the welfare state even after a “cabinet riot” and her famous declaration that the “NHS is safe with us”, newly released Treasury documents show.

The plan commissioned by Thatcher and her chancellor Sir Geoffrey Howe included proposals to charge for state schooling, introduce compulsory private health insurance and a system of private medical facilities that “would, of course, mean the end of the National Health Service”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7438196.html
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And papers released yesterday under the 30 year rule show Thatcher secretly tried to dismantle the welfare state:

Margaret Thatcher secretly tried to press ahead with a politically toxic plan to dismantle the welfare state even after a “cabinet riot” and her famous declaration that the “NHS is safe with us”, newly released Treasury documents show.

The plan commissioned by Thatcher and her chancellor Sir Geoffrey Howe included proposals to charge for state schooling, introduce compulsory private health insurance and a system of private medical facilities that “would, of course, mean the end of the National Health Service”.

Margaret Thatcher's secret plans to dismantle welfare state almost prompted 'Cabinet riot' | The Independent
So what? Your point is?
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what? Your point is?
You never respond to most bits of evidence and facts and just make right wing sound bites . On Thatcher I posted it because it was the main item on the news here last night (probably not in Sydney or Adelaide). She actually was even worse and more devious than we thought and we can see more evidence of why her party ditched her. As per 'Pictures of Lily' I imagine you have her photo above your bed to help you sleep at night.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You never respond to most bits of evidence and facts and just make right wing sound bites . On Thatcher I posted it because it was the main item on the news here last night (probably not in Sydney or Adelaide). She actually was even worse and more devious than we thought and we can see more evidence of why her party ditched her. As per 'Pictures of Lily' I imagine you have her photo above your bed to help you sleep at night.
Yeah you keep posting Guardian articles and we all know they need to be taken with a shovel worth of salt.

So when is this Brexit disaster going to kick in and the crash property market? I'm looking to pick up some bargains.

Last edited by Beoz; Nov 26th 2016 at 9:50 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:48 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's an interesting idea for twisting the knife.

Suppose the EU said "you could keep the free travel, work rights, etc. for £150 a year - how many do you think would take it?

And what if they did similarly with companies - access to the EU market for a chunk of money per year.

Seems like a good deal on both sides - the EU gets the money with no need to fund anything in the UK, and the UK gets to dump any EU rules it likes. Of course, and company would still need to hit those EU rules anyway, so the impact of the UK laws lessens.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah you keep posting Guardian articles and we all know they need to be taken with a shovel worth of salt.

So when is this Brexit disaster going to kick in and the crash property market? I'm looking to pick up some bargains.
Did I post a link on Thatcher? Every paper reported on the release of the 30 year papers but you ignore.

The Brexit disaster is already happening - what's happened to the pound, what's happened to Government finances (you did get the autumn statement didn't you)? There is so much uncertainty in the UK at the moment and yesterday one of the top EU officials indicated he can see no reason why individual UK citizens can't take out EU citizenship and rights on the payment of an annual fee (and you have that for any passport). 2 former PM's have called for a 2nd referendum on the single market, in or out. We do not know when Article 50 will be triggered, how long it will take and what terms will be involved and top EU officials said yesterday there's no way it can be done in under 2 years which was written into the Lisbon Treaty. Break up of the UK is still potentially on the cards as Sturgeon isn't going to back down on calls for a 2nd Indy referendum. 'It's all happening' as Bill Lawry would say but you can choose to ignore it if you want.

You keep on posting crap about the property market because when the pound plunged after Brexit some opportunists overseas bought UK property because it was 20% cheaper USING THEIR OWN CURRENCY.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did I post a link on Thatcher? Every paper reported on the release of the 30 year papers but you ignore.

The Brexit disaster is already happening - what's happened to the pound, what's happened to Government finances (you did get the autumn statement didn't you)? There is so much uncertainty in the UK at the moment and yesterday one of the top EU officials indicated he can see no reason why individual UK citizens can't take out EU citizenship and rights on the payment of an annual fee (and you have that for any passport). 2 former PM's have called for a 2nd referendum on the single market, in or out. We do not know when Article 50 will be triggered, how long it will take and what terms will be involved and top EU officials said yesterday there's no way it can be done in under 2 years which was written into the Lisbon Treaty. Break up of the UK is still potentially on the cards as Sturgeon isn't going to back down on calls for a 2nd Indy referendum. 'It's all happening' as Bill Lawry would say but you can choose to ignore it if you want.

You keep on posting crap about the property market because when the pound plunged after Brexit some opportunists overseas bought UK property because it was 20% cheaper USING THEIR OWN CURRENCY.
When you demonstrate some balance, then we can talk.

Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Cyfgcs6jP-toQ2
You have diverged from Brexit and its effects to another issue about the political standing of UK newspapers but since you raise it:

I posted links from the Telegraph, Independent etc in the previous pages - you keep coming up with the nonsense about the Guardian. Are you too lazy, stupid or blinkered to check out the Tory papers for what the other papers report on to check the veracity of Labour leaning papers? I can assure you the Telegraph etc don't report different exchange rates, budget black holes, Scottish independence, Major and Blair calling for 2nd referendum etc. The Tory rags like Express and Mail will put minor things on the front page like a raft on the beach at Dover or a Muslim committing a crime I'll grant you but that's just to appeal to their narrow minded readership.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have diverged from Brexit and its effects to another issue about the political standing of UK newspapers but since you raise it:

I posted links from the Telegraph, Independent etc in the previous pages - you keep coming up with the nonsense about the Guardian. Are you too lazy, stupid or blinkered to check out the Tory papers for what the other papers report on to check the veracity of Labour leaning papers? I can assure you the Telegraph etc don't report different exchange rates, budget black holes, Scottish independence, Major and Blair calling for 2nd referendum etc. The Tory rags like Express and Mail will put minor things on the front page like a raft on the beach at Dover or a Muslim committing a crime I'll grant you but that's just to appeal to their narrow minded readership.
So get neutral then and leave the Guardian and the Mail alone.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 9:11 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's a VERY strange methodology. The number of follows by MPs of particular papers? Seems like it would match the interest in twitter much more than it would match political hue. An out of touch old Conservative duffer is much less likely to be a twit (at least in these terms), screwing the whole thing up.

I think most people would accept that until recent times Labour has been a lite-right party. Most people would also accept that the guardian is a centrist/liberal newspaper (in the true sense of the word). Most people would also place the Times, the Express, the Mail and the Torygraph on the extreme right. Sometimes you'd place those papers further right than even the tories, particularly in the case of the Sun and immigrant hating/UKIP loving side of things.

Thus what we have is situation where the median of papers is far right (as most would accept following the we-hate-immigrants Brexit debacle), a few are centralist, and virtually none are leftish (you could make something of a case for the Mirror and the Record).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.