Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Despicable, Shallow Australia

Despicable, Shallow Australia

Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Despicable, Shallow Australia

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Special thanks to Senator Vandstone

thats VANstone..........french for 20 isn't it ??
No it's not Not wanting to pick a fight or anything, but would you have made such a comment if the person concerned was male?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:10 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No it's not Not wanting to pick a fight or anything, but would you have made such a comment if the person concerned was male?
I see the sense of humour bypass surgeons are still employed at Brisbane airport
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I see the sense of humour bypass surgeons are still employed at Brisbane airport
Believe you me, I have a very good sense of humour. Just asked a simple question.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:47 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Believe you me, I have a very good sense of humour. Just asked a simple question.
I believe you

The answer is of course. what has a person's sex got to do with it?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I believe you

The answer is of course. what has a person's sex got to do with it?
Simply that I don't believe you would have made a joke about a man's name possibly equating to his stature
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:58 pm
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe that the aussies are not playing the English national anthem at them commonwealth games. What makes it even worse is that the Queen will be there!! It must be becasue we won the ashes and your still ticked off?

It seems to me that the majority of Australians seem to have a chip on their shoulder about us Brits, they are jealous because they know they can never have what we have!! Well chin up!! Remember you could have been English if your great great great grandparents didnt steal a loaf of bread!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:30 pm
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm no raving monarchist, but isn't it simply good manners to play the national anthem of a visiting head of state? - even the Americans do that. I was at a New York Yankees game a couple of years ago which John Howard happened to attend. Prior to the game they had an "honor guard" for the Australian flag and played the Australian national anthem. They then immediately followed that with Men at Work's "who can it be now", which I thought was a nice touch.
Well said...I reckon the Aussies will back down and play the Queens vibe...I am sure Liz could not give a fourex either way.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:57 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
I can't believe that the aussies are not playing the English national anthem at them commonwealth games.
Get your facts right mate!

There is no such thing as an English national anthem.
GSTQ is the British national anthem.

All 4 countries which make up the UK don't officially have their own anthems, but as they all compete as separate countries at the Commonwealth Games, the anthems played if any of the 4 win gold will be:

Scotland:Flower Of Scotland
Northern Ireland: Londonderry Air
Wales: Land Of My Fathers
England: Land Of Hope And Glory
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Despicable, Shallow Australia

Special thanks to Senator Vandstone

thats VANstone..........french for 20 isn't it ??
Oh dear, what a numpty I am; can't even spell the old bint's name right!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Despicable, Shallow Australia

Originally Posted by turtletom
I can't believe that the aussies are not playing the English national anthem at them commonwealth games.

Commonwealth Games organisers said it was normal practice that only the host nation's anthem is played at events such as the opening and closing ceremonies.

Justin Madden, the state minister responsible for the Games, said officials had checked with Buckingham Palace and believed it involved no breach of protocol.
Source.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 5th 2006 at 12:25 am.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 1:18 am
Absinthe Minded

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Oh dear, what a numpty I am; can't even spell the old bint's name right!
Old bint ?... steady on, you'll upset someone !
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

When the Queen comes to Australia, she's not the Queen of England visiting Australia - she's the Queen of Australia. The fact that she might be the Queen of some other countries too is irrelevant - and any anthems associated with those other countries are also irrelevant. She's the Queen of fifteen other countries - should we play all their anthems?

Why anyone would expect a foreign country's national anthem to be played at Opening and Closing ceremonies of a Commonwealth Games in Australia, beats me.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

I don't think many would really complain if they played the best version of God Save The Queen....obviously by The Sex Pistols
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:12 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Stands in salute

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"
Gedge,

You've got it all wrong mate.

The second verse is:

Da, da, da, di, da, da
Da, da, da, di, da, da
Da, da, di, daaaaa,

and so on...
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Simply that I don't believe you would have made a joke about a man's name possibly equating to his stature
What if his name is Terry Smallcock? Jokes must be allowed for that Moneypen?

Paul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.