Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Decision made to move!

Decision made to move!

Old Jul 1st 2013, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Mogsyminx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decision made to move!

Well, looks like we've made the decision to move to Beerwah, QLD.

Exciting but scary!

Where on earth do I start! We need to be there by Jan to coincide with school dates. We need to sell our house, organise our shed (aka temporary house whilst we build the "real" one) to be built in Oz, shipping, getting managers in to work and for our rentals over here! It's a bit daunting to say the least!

On top of that, we have decided not to tell anyone here that we're going until the last minute!

Any tips???!

Xx
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision made to move!

Originally Posted by Mogsyminx
Well, looks like we've made the decision to move to Beerwah, QLD.

Exciting but scary!

Where on earth do I start! We need to be there by Jan to coincide with school dates. We need to sell our house, organise our shed (aka temporary house whilst we build the "real" one) to be built in Oz, shipping, getting managers in to work and for our rentals over here! It's a bit daunting to say the least!

On top of that, we have decided not to tell anyone here that we're going until the last minute!

Any tips???!

Xx
Do you have a visa allowing you to move?
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

My husband is Australian and so are our kids. I am assured by my husband that a visa will be no probs? Please tell me he's right?!

X
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:32 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get too het up about getting here for the school year.........VERY laid back and kids always coming and going.

Good Luck x
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is Australian and so are our kids. I am assured by my husband that a visa will be no probs? Please tell me he's right?!

X
He's probably right, but you will need to apply ASAP if you intend to move in January. Www.immi.gov.au is where to start. Currently spouse visas are taking about 6-8 months to process, so best get your skates on
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Wow! Thanks for the info - I hadn't even thought of that as being a problem!

Is it possible to go over on a visitors visa and extend to a spouse visa once we're there?

X
Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Get your application in, you run a risk if you rock up as a tourist looking likely to stay that they may turn you round at the border.

Try not to burn any bridges - make sure your DH has his UK passport, dont sell the house, keep the business going (managers?) etc just in case. Once you are sure its what you want with your life then you can sell up.

As the others have said, dont get your knickers in a knot about the school year, no one else will. Kids start school at any time of year and if you have a permanent address the local school is bound to take them.

Good luck!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to go over on a visitors visa and extend to a spouse visa once we're there?
People have done it, but it's not the intended way and you could potentially be questioned at immigration.

Other than that, the cost of the visa is different. Offshore, the current cost is $2,680 and onshore it is $3,975. Using the DIAC currency converter, that's £1,800 for an offshore application (for comparison the equivalent for an onshore is about £2,670 based on that calculator, although you would be paying in local currency).

You can ignore the additional applicant column in that visa pricing table as your kids have Australian citizenship.

As previously said, definitely make sure your husband becomes a British citizen if he isn't already.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Hi Mogsyminx,
We live in Beerwah, once you get your head around the move give us a shout.

Waves to Quoll
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Wow! Hi graham and Maria! How do you find it in Beerwah? Do you like it?

Checked out visas etc and estimated time is 5-6 months for "low risk applicants", which i presume is me?! I did also come across some other slightly concerning issues with regards to my child (from a previous marriage) visa application. Thank you VERY much indeed for encouraging me to look into the details sooner rather than later!!

Xx
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Yes its a very nice place to live, I answered your last post with a bit more info but Im assuming your pretty familiar with the area.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Checked out visas etc and estimated time is 5-6 months for "low risk applicants", which i presume is me?! I did also come across some other slightly concerning issues with regards to my child (from a previous marriage) visa application. Thank you VERY much indeed for encouraging me to look into the details sooner rather than later!!

Xx
Ah, your child from a previous marriage could be an issue if the child's father refuses to give permission for them to leave the jurisdiction!