Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Daniel Morcombe thread

The Daniel Morcombe thread

Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Daniel Morcombe thread

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Perhaps I am a lone voice here. But I am very disturbed at how he was trapped. According to this article he could only get in on a big deal if he admitted he was involved in Daniel's murder. So he admitted it. Even though previously in undercover investigations he had not admitted any involvement.

Stings like this remind me of Colin Stagg in the Rachel Nickel case, he implicated himself in something he did not do because he similarly thought there was a reward of some type in pretending he was involved.

No, traps should not be used. It distorts justice.
You are not a lone voice, the local paper has comments saying the same thing.

IMO, the guy was not that bright, could have easily ' confessed ' for the mateship he talks about ( in the interview ) and the huge money.

1000's of police worked on the case for 10 years, there must have been some pressure to get their man.

No doubt this guy needed locking up, ( previous history which I assume had DNA at some stage ). However I agree, money in any form distorts justice.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You are not a lone voice, the local paper has comments saying the same thing.

IMO, the guy was not that bright, could have easily ' confessed ' for the mateship he talks about ( in the interview ) and the huge money.

1000's of police worked on the case for 10 years, there must have been some pressure to get their man.

No doubt this guy needed locking up, ( previous history which I assume had DNA at some stage ). However I agree, money in any form distorts justice.
I read the last 2 posts of this thread:

It is this part of the Criminal Justice System that is ****ed.
There is the potential for miscarriages of justice.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I read the last 2 posts of this thread:

It is this part of the Criminal Justice System that is ****ed.
There is the potential for miscarriages of justice.
Having read the last 5 ....he was guilty...

not sure if he should rot in hell...but we live in a *** society. That is all.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:49 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Daniel Morcombe thread

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;11170913

not sure if he should rot in hell...[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you but man sentenced TWICE for raping two little boys should've been in hell long time ago, regardless if he murdered Daniel or not.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Having read the last 5 ....he was guilty...

not sure if he should rot in hell...but we live in a *** society. That is all.
Well the sting or trap call it what you will resulted in Cowan showing the undercover cops where he killed Daniel, where he disposed of the body, what car he used & possibly the worst disclosure of how & why he killed him.
He was already number one suspect at the inquest, he just had to give 'em enough rope.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cresta57
Well the sting or trap call it what you will resulted in Cowan showing the undercover cops where he killed Daniel, where he disposed of the body, what car he used & possibly the worst disclosure of how & why he killed him.
He was already number one suspect at the inquest, he just had to give 'em enough rope.
Case closed then And I should read back more than 5 threads paying particular attention to links...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 13th 2014 at 11:10 am.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Case closed then
It was before the trial started in my IMHO. It is a wonder the jury took 7.5 hours to convict........
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Case closed then
The jury were out for less than a day after 4 weeks of evidence. Pretty cut & dried I'd say. We struggled for longer than that on a simple assault charge [spitting on a policeman] when I did jury service.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It was before the trial started in my IMHO. It is a wonder the jury took 7.5 hours to convict........
It's called 'The Criminal Justice System' mate.

Remember it is not as simple as stepping out to the local supermarket....
there is more to jury decisions that meets the eye....real life is not like what you see on the Box..

You might need this system yourself one day.

It is great when it takes time : it means the judge is telling his people to use their loaf.
Remember: the average Joe on the jury will be your average Joe...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 13th 2014 at 11:15 am.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

It's called 'The Criminal Justice System' mate.

Remember it is not as simple as stepping out to the local supermarket....
there is more to jury decisions that meets the eye....real life is not like what you see on the Box..

You might need this system yourself it one day.
You totally missed my point. I was speaking as an outside observer of such a high profile and publicised case, it would be hard for, even a miracle, for anyone to be found innocent with the weight of evidence and publicity that the case has generated over the years.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The jury were out for less than a day after 4 weeks of evidence. Pretty cut & dried I'd say. We struggled for longer than that on a simple assault charge [spitting on a policeman] when I did jury service.
On the question of entrapment, that has to be a concern when/if it comes to an appeal, but given the nature of the justice system today (aka smart defence lawyers) I'm sure that the prosecution would have thought of this and would never have brought this case to trial if this was an issue

I agree - done and dusted
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
You totally missed my point. I was speaking as an outside observer of such a high profile and publicised case, it would be hard for, even a miracle, for anyone to be found innocent with the weight of evidence and publicity that the case has generated over the years.
But he wasn't found innocent (yes?):
I would expect the people - all lay people remember - Jesus wept!- to be correctly advised by the Judge and take their time to ensure a decision was made.

I love it when juries take their time in a publicised and open and shut case - it means the Judge is directing them properly- and they are not just googling away...to get out of court quick.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point of giving sentences that run concurrently? So he gets Life (yeah right) with no parole for 20 years but he also gets the other sentences running concurrently so in effect they don't exist. Now that pisses me off a lot.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What is the point of giving sentences that run concurrently? So he gets Life (yeah right) with no parole for 20 years but he also gets the other sentences running concurrently so in effect they don't exist. Now that pisses me off a lot.
I suppose the parole bit is key here. Presumably there is no point in giving out sentences that take you past the average life expectancy of a person.

If one of the sentences is life, well back when it meant life - it cancels out the others in terms of time served- but the conviction stands as do the sentences. They still exist.

The real issue here maybe is the fact parole is considered.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone answer me this? How can he be convicted for 'indecently dealing with a child ' when there is no forensic evidence. I think I am right in saying (from involvement with SES) that only bones were found ( finally) so where is the evidence of 'indecent dealings'?
Would be interested in the background to that particular charge, based on my previous life in forensics, and various child murders that I've worked on, so if anyone can point me to the real facts behind that charge I would really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.