Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

COVIDSafe successfully installed

COVIDSafe successfully installed

Old May 4th 2020, 9:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVIDSafe successfully installed

News article pointing up why it's pointless, and even counterproductive.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/austra...-should-worry/
Old May 5th 2020, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
News article pointing up why it's pointless, and even counterproductive.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/austra...-should-worry/
That is a terrible article. For example. "Because most exposures flagged by the apps will not lead to infection, many users will be instructed to self-quarantine even when they have not been infected," they write.

"A person may put up with this once or twice, but after a few false alarms and the ensuing inconvenience of protracted self-isolation, we expect many will start to disregard the warnings."
You do realise you need to be in the vicinity of an infected person for 15 minutes? And it doesn't alert you. The health authorities do.

What are you expecting here, a silver bullet? Its designed to help the situation, and you sprouting all the bullshit, finding a very very poor article and posting it on here, you are attempting sabotage the rest of Australia for your own self gain. That's not on, its selfish, just grow up and be part of the solution, not just part of Garry's world of nonsense.
Old May 5th 2020, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The additions that google and apple are adding are for their own, privacy protecting, approach. It won't change the aussie government's app, or how it will not be running.

Yeah, particularly the way apple works there's not really multitasking and background tasks. Even google clamped down because those background tasks were eating battery life. Upshot is one of the reasons those in the know were saying not to touch this app - if its not in at the OS level, its not going to be any use because its a total pain in the arse to get the info (I'd looked into this before for another purpose).

It's also why I said that using location history was a much better bet - it's already built in and working, even if most people don't realise the reality. Exporting the time and locations from that and allowing apps on the personal phone to correlate with the location history of the individual would be more useful and immediately practical.

Still, it's all pretty academic now, providing the governments don't stuff up. You are more likely to find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow as find someone with the disease, that you have been 1.5m of, for 15mins.
The most privacy intruding thing that can help to you is this.

Someone with awesome technology skills, finds out you are having an affair with the lady down the road, that person decides they are going to hack into your phone and hers, establish the IP address and phone number, then in turn hack into the app so it can notify the perpetrator that both of you are in the vicinity of each other, then in turn notify your wife that lady down the road has popped over for a coffee.

I suppose if that same person can hack into your security camera, pull a few photo's, they can hold you to ransom, but seriously, get a grip, if thats the worst that can happen then its better that what we have now.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Amazon have some for a bit less than that:
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0768HQZYX
It's starting to come back into stores here, but we got 20 litres from a Brisbane Distillery a few weeks ago. A lot of distilleries in Queensland are manufacturing so it's worth checking online if distilleries in your state are doing it too.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
It's starting to come back into stores here, but we got 20 litres from a Brisbane Distillery a few weeks ago. A lot of distilleries in Queensland are manufacturing so it's worth checking online if distilleries in your state are doing it too.
Saw some at Woolworths earlier today. $8 for what looks like a 350ml or so bottle and $4 for the 150ml-ish size. The bloke packing the shelves said they're not the ones they usually sell.
Old May 5th 2020, 4:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67

Cool. I made my own at the beginning of the C19 fiasco but I was fortunate enough to have a load of isopropyl alcohol in my shed. That's now virtually impossible to find and if you do, the price is insane. I bought some glycerine (also hard to find) and mixed it up at 3:1 and added some lemon juice to give it a bit of a nice smell. We've still got heaps left even after I gave some to my neighbours
Old May 5th 2020, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Any less than 15 mins will over run the contact tracers with too much data to trace.
What's your 'source' for that thought fart...?
Old May 5th 2020, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
So the only way COVIDSafe will work is if you are walking around using your phone. And then you still have the return 15 results from same device in 15 mins at 1.5m or less, and one or other tests positive for COVID 19 and releases the results.

Given that I go almost nowhere, and if I do then I don't walk around with my phone unlocked, I see no point in the app. Given the limitations, it seems rushed. Given the low numbers in most states, it seems unnecessary. But that's just me
No, not just you.

It's pretty much useless as an app, for now. Downloading and using it at the moment is essentially a thumb-suck for those who believe they must be seen to be doing "something".

V2.0 or 3.0 might do better, especially if they become available in the context of revived use of mass commuter transit, whenever that happens.

Old May 5th 2020, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abner
What's your 'source' for that thought fart...?
Brendan Murphy. Chief Medical Officer.
Old May 5th 2020, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

Given that I go almost nowhere, and if I do then I don't walk around with my phone unlocked, I see no point in the app. Given the limitations, it seems rushed. Given the low numbers in most states, it seems unnecessary. But that's just me
Your phone does not need to be unlocked.

If you want to get out of the Corona era, just install the app and stop reading mis-information
Old May 5th 2020, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Brendan Murphy. Chief Medical Officer.
Clearly not someone with an IT background, assuming you've quoted him accurately.

Link?
Old May 5th 2020, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

If you want to get out of the Corona era, just install the app and stop reading mis-information
Or just download it, to be counted amongst the sheep, and then don't bother activating it until a more useful version emerges.
Old May 5th 2020, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly not someone with an IT background, assuming you've quoted him accurately.

Link?
I am sure you can find it with your IT background.

However I am curious, if you are disputing the 15 minute thing is overload, what is it for then?
Old May 5th 2020, 1:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Or just download it, to be counted amongst the sheep, and then don't bother activating it until a more useful version emerges.
baa baa
Old May 5th 2020, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
baa baa
Sadly, the rebels don't seem to get that we have all these new rules and guidance to behave like sheep to pull us out of the mess.

All they need to do is look to America to see what happens when you **** with the system during a pandemic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.