British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Cottelsoe Beach and GMTV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cottelsoe-beach-gmtv-575822/)

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 9:43 am

Cottelsoe Beach and GMTV

My family want me to go to where GMTV are filming for Christmas. I reckon there will be no chance to get on TV as so many people make it their own mission.

Although my mate got on there 2 years ago and her Mum saw her:wub:

Has anyone ever been to the beach and got on TV for the GMTV christmas filming and how did it make you feel? My friend said she felt ever so sad after her Mum called her to say that she had seen her.:(

I will go - just to see the crowds getting filmed but I cant envisage being lucky enough to get filmed.

It so doesnt feel like christmas to me at the moment, the shops make far more of an effort here than they ever did where I lived in the UK, it just feels rather odd.

Mr PP is working xmas day we think so I am going to go to South Beach I reckon.

But I would like to know if anyone has done the Cottesloe thing at Christmas.

Oh yes, Polar Xpress with Tom Hanks is on Channel 9 at the moment, I love the Christmas movies:thumbsup:

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 9:50 am

Re: Cottelsoe Beach and GMTV

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020396)
My family want me to go to where GMTV are filming for Christmas. I reckon there will be no chance to get on TV as so many people make it their own mission.

Although my mate got on there 2 years ago and her Mum saw her:wub:

Has anyone ever been to the beach and got on TV for the GMTV christmas filming and how did it make you feel? My friend said she felt ever so sad after her Mum called her to say that she had seen her.:(

I will go - just to see the crowds getting filmed but I cant envisage being lucky enough to get filmed.

It so doesnt feel like christmas to me at the moment, the shops make far more of an effort here than they ever did where I lived in the UK, it just feels rather odd.

Mr PP is working xmas day we think so I am going to go to South Beach I reckon.

But I would like to know if anyone has done the Cottesloe thing at Christmas.

Oh yes, Polar Xpress with Tom Hanks is on Channel 9 at the moment, I love the Christmas movies:thumbsup:

We went to the beach at Glenelg here is SA last year. It was packed! I'm not kidding Sam it was pretty awful, lots of people pushing and shoving to get to the front just to wave to the camera :blink: To be honest I was pretty disgusted at the behaviour of the so called adults - my 8 year old daughter got pushed and shoved quite a lot, and my 4 year old niece was stood on by one delighful lady :mad: who didn't even have the deceny to say sorry to her.

After saying that my son managed to get on TV (just!) and was even on the small clip they put on the GMTV website. I am glad I went as it's something I wanted to do, but I won't do it again. :)

The weather was crap too, it rained most of the day :D

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020409)
We went to the beach at Glenelg here is SA last year. It was packed! I'm not kidding Sam it was pretty awful, lots of people pushing and shoving to get to the front just to wave to the camera :blink: To be honest I was pretty disgusted at the behaviour of the so called adults - my 8 year old daughter got pushed and shoved quite a lot, and my 4 year old niece was stood on by one delighful lady :mad: who didn't even have the deceny to say sorry to her.

After saying that my son managed to get on TV (just!) and was even on the small clip they put on the GMTV website. I am glad I went as it's something I wanted to do, but I won't do it again. :)

Its bloody bedlam down there!!!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:09 am

Didnt someone complain of a Welsh family that stood on and really hurt their kids - pushing and shoving to get on camera - I think it was last year.

Oh dear, I shall tell Dad not to expect anything.:o

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020448)
Didnt someone complain of a Welsh family that stood on and really hurt their kids - pushing and shoving to get on camera - I think it was last year.

I think there was something posted along those lines, I may just go and have a look for it :D

To be honest Sam, I think a 'home made' video would be better :) at least your Dad gets to see just you then and what a lovely gift that would be - maybe you could film something and youtube it? or even just post it across to him

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020451)
I think there was something posted along those lines, I may just go and have a look for it :D

To be honest Sam, I think a 'home made' video would be better :) at least your Dad gets to see just you then and what a lovely gift that would be - maybe you could film something and youtube it? or even just post it across to him

I know you are right Wendy, they have all convinced themselves I will be able to do it.

Short of flashing my tits on the beach there is no chance, I might go down and observe from a distance - for the experience.

I always got quite tearful watching the Christmas live feeds, never ever did I realise I would be one of those people wanting to give my family a 2 second glimpse of myself.:o

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020451)

Seriously Sam, there is so much pushing and shoving..it can get quite nasty....shame really!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:18 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020459)
Seriously Sam, there is so much pushing and shoving..it can get quite nasty....shame really!

I do remember seeing on TV a Welsh flag that was so big it took up alot of space, I remember thinking that several people could have stood in its place to wave to their loved ones, instead the flag took up the space and the family behind it - perhaps that was the family that did the shoving, I dont know but I remember a post telling everyone about it - fancy adults pushing little kids like that.

I shall watch from afar, just to say Ive been there.:o

northernbird Nov 29th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020448)

I went the first christmas I was here and some scottish woman pushed my little one over who was only 3 at the time. I haven't been since.

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7020468)
I went the first christmas I was here and some scottish woman pushed my little one over who was only 3 at the time. I haven't been since.

Are you serious?

God I bet you were mad:mad:

What did you say?

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020463)
I do remember seeing on TV a Welsh flag that was so big it took up alot of space, I remember thinking that several people could have stood in its place to wave to their loved ones, instead the flag took up the space and the family behind it - perhaps that was the family that did the shoving, I dont know but I remember a post telling everyone about it - fancy adults pushing little kids like that.

I shall watch from afar, just to say Ive been there.:o

It's worth it for the experience Sam, it might be a huge waste of time - but you won't know if you don't go :)

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 10:24 am

I always got quite tearful watching the Christmas live feeds, never ever did I realise I would be one of those people wanting to give my family a 2 second glimpse of myself.:o[/QUOTE]

Hey Sam, you are as daft as me..............I used to spend all xmas afternoon..watchung teh Noel Edmunds christmas special...with all the fake snow....crying me bleeding eyes out!! Daft Cow!!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020474)
It's worth it for the experience Sam, it might be a huge waste of time - but you won't know if you don't go :)

I know, I am feeling ever so sad about Christmas. I dont know why because Mr PP and I always spend it on our own anyway so it shouldnt be any different.

I guess I dont want Mr PP to work, I might hook up with a work pal to go to the beach. We dont even have a BBQ yet - buying a house is so expensive and I said to Mr PP that we have more urgent things to pay for such as our termite treatment is now due (high risk area) and a couple of other things.

Then I look at the garden which is in such a bad need of a garden makeover it isnt true and you wonder how/when it will get sorted.

I cant put decorations up as Gordon will eat them and no doubt Rocky the Super Kelpie will help him:eek:

Mr PP said we are going to fill the fridge with goodies and I shall go to South Beach for a swim - I cant wait for that - Perths beaches really are something special and it will be nice and hot.

Its just strange Wendy, I cant describe why but it is, probably to do with my Mum and everything. I shall build my own tradition but I guess I am just floundering a bit.:o

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020477)
I always got quite tearful watching the Christmas live feeds, never ever did I realise I would be one of those people wanting to give my family a 2 second glimpse of myself.:o

Hey Sam, you are as daft as me..............I used to spend all xmas afternoon..watchung teh Noel Edmunds christmas special...with all the fake snow....crying me bleeding eyes out!! Daft Cow!![/QUOTE]

Noel Edmunds Christmas Presents! I remember that and boy have I sobbed over that!:lol:

Lately I have been dreaming that someone somewhere flies my Dad/family out to surprise me and they turn up at my office.

Well a girl can dream....:lol:

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7020468)

I would have punched her in the mouth!!:eek:

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020481)
I know, I am feeling ever so sad about Christmas. I dont know why because Mr PP and I always spend it on our own anyway so it shouldnt be any different.

I guess I dont want Mr PP to work, I might hook up with a work pal to go to the beach. We dont even have a BBQ yet - buying a house is so expensive and I said to Mr PP that we have more urgent things to pay for such as our termite treatment is now due (high risk area) and a couple of other things.

Then I look at the garden which is in such a bad need of a garden makeover it isnt true and you wonder how/when it will get sorted.

I cant put decorations up as Gordon will eat them and no doubt Rocky the Super Kelpie will help him:eek:

Mr PP said we are going to fill the fridge with goodies and I shall go to South Beach for a swim - I cant wait for that - Perths beaches really are something special and it will be nice and hot.

Its just strange Wendy, I cant describe why but it is, probably to do with my Mum and everything. I shall build my own tradition but I guess I am just floundering a bit.:o

I have only just this year felt anything remotely like a Christmassy feeling and this is my 3rd Xmas in Australia! :eek: I think it's pretty normal to feel what you are feeling, and you don't even have the luxury of being able to share it with Mr PP so it will be even tougher for you.

Just take it easy Sam, don't put any pressure on yourself to feel 'normal' as it will be different. It does get easier as time goes by though :)

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 10:34 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020485)

Hey you are not going to be on your own are you.....if so you can bloody get your ass in the car and drive to my place for the day!!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020488)
Hey you are not going to be on your own are you.....if so you can bloody get your ass in the car and drive to my place for the day!!

Im on my own - I dont have a car but someone said the buses run a service on xmas day.

Im excited about the beach though - I love the water, I cant swim really but I still love it.

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020494)
Im on my own - I dont have a car but someone said the buses run a service on xmas day.

Im excited about the beach though - I love the water, I cant swim really but I still love it.

Oh Sam, you could come to my house too - but I don't think the buses would run all the way to Adelaide :D

No-one should be on their own on Xmas day :(

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020498)
Oh Sam, you could come to my house too - but I don't think the buses would run all the way to Adelaide :D

well you cant stay on your own....shite I will worry all night now!!!

northernbird Nov 29th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020471)
Are you serious?

God I bet you were mad:mad:

What did you say?

A few words I shouldn't, silly bitch.

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020485)

She was away from me before I could get to her, I was planning on it I can assure you but fat bird can't run fast on sand :)

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020498)

Thanks Wendy, it will be OK - a novelty for me, my pals boyfriend said he might go to the beach I think they do a picnic on there.

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020501)
well you cant stay on your own....shite I will worry all night now!!!

Dont worry, I didnt mean to make you worry, I am looking forward to giving the locals a spot of 'whale watching' when I get in my bathers:lol:

It doesnt feel like Christmas so it will be OK. As long as I get my Queens speech:D

Mr PP is to find out what shift he is working.

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 11:00 am

Dont worry, I didnt mean to make you worry,

Bloody born worrier me!!!

It doesnt feel like Christmas so it will be OK. As long as I get my Queens speech:D

Never does feel like christmas here.:(

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020528)
Dont worry, I didnt mean to make you worry,

Bloody born worrier me!!!

Never does feel like christmas here.:(

If its any consolation...I am working boxing day!!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 11:03 am

I am going to send Mr PP to Bunnings next week to price up a BBQ - a cheap one.

I want my BBQ turkey:lol: (can you get BBQ turkey I wonder???):p

Wendy Nov 29th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020530)
I am going to send Mr PP to Bunnings next week to price up a BBQ - a cheap one.

I want my BBQ turkey:lol: (can you get BBQ turkey I wonder???):p

Also look in Kmart, Target and BigW for a BBQ - I've seen some pretty good deals this year in all of them :)

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020535)
Also look in Kmart, Target and BigW for a BBQ - I've seen some pretty good deals this year in all of them :)

Im watching Polar Express on TV, God I am in the mood to write a christmas story.:lol:

sj oldfield Nov 29th 2008 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7020545)
Im watching Polar Express on TV, God I am in the mood to write a christmas story.:lol:

Well go on then!!!

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7020552)
Well go on then!!!

PP scurries off in her fluffy dressing gown to get writing.:D

Cheetah7 Nov 29th 2008 12:20 pm

Ive nearly done the story, its in draft form in my blog - I shall finish it either tomorrow or Monday:)

Assegai Nov 29th 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020409)

Back in Xmas 2005, went to Mrs McQuarries chair with all the other ex-pats, tourists etc for the yearly beamback to GMTV to say hi to relatives back home.

Went with my 2 girls (then aged 20 and 19) and managed to get our 30 secs of individual fame with a personal interview on the basis that (my misses) their Mum had been abandoned back in blighty. Nice for her and the other friends/relatives to see us sunning ourselves with the Opera House in the background while they had the central heating up full blast. A slight irony that the only time I've got on UK national tv was from 10,000 miles away.

renth Nov 29th 2008 9:11 pm

Personally I can't think of anything worse than spending Xmas morning on the beach with thousands of plebby Brits and their stupid flags.

What is it with all the regional flags people seem to want to display in public on auspicious days like Xmas, or even worse Australia day? (No wonder it kicked off at Mullaloo last year). No one cares that you are from Hartlepool or East Kilmarnock, you might but no one else does.

Get Skype, much better idea.

bridie Nov 30th 2008 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7020486)
I have only just this year felt anything remotely like a Christmassy feeling and this is my 3rd Xmas in Australia! :eek: I think it's pretty normal to feel what you are feeling, and you don't even have the luxury of being able to share it with Mr PP so it will be even tougher for you.

Just take it easy Sam, don't put any pressure on yourself to feel 'normal' as it will be different. It does get easier as time goes by though :)

I agree, our 4th christmas and still doesnt feel right.....!!!
And yes, you do miss family more at this time of year, I always feel teary after webcamming my parents on xmas day whereas any other day i'm fine....!
all part and parcel i guess

kiwinow Nov 30th 2008 2:18 am

So if it doesn't feel right go ahead and have your trad English Chirstmas feast. I alternate. We have a vast roast and veg, Xmas puds, brandy balls and the lot and then I say I'm never doing it again and we're having a barbie next year. Trouble is noone thinks a barbie was a real Xmas even if we have special stuff.
WE do the church thing. We go to carols in the park or whatever and walk lunch off on the beach then go visiting people. It's just different without family but you caqn make your own traditions. When we lived in a housebus, we used to gather pine and greenery to decorate the bus and bake star shaped shortbread which we decorated with silver balls and hung from the handrails. It was still special.

bridie Nov 30th 2008 4:37 am

i dont mean the food doesnt feel right, just having christmas when it's hot... i always feel christmassy when it's colder!!!

mickagnew Dec 5th 2008 3:05 am

Can anyone tell me when its on this year

HJAMES Dec 19th 2008 7:54 am

Christmas Eve

The Brooks Dec 19th 2008 9:29 am

There at cottlesloe on Monday 22nd December between 2pm amd 5pm.

HJAMES Dec 19th 2008 10:28 am

where are they on xmas eve as their website states xmas eve??

Wendy Dec 19th 2008 9:05 pm

Sydney on 23rd and Perth on the 24th :)

Are you celebrating Christmas Down Under? Join GMTV in Sydney and Perth next week to pass on your Christmas messages to family back home
Tuesday 23rd December - SYDNEY – Macquaries Point, next to the Fleet Steps
We advise you get there half an hour before we go on air which is 4:30pm in Sydney and we'll be on air until 8:25pm (which is 5:30am to 9:25am GMT).
We'll be in an area called Fleet Steps North, adjacent to Mrs Macquarie's Point. It can be accessed by either walking through the Botanical Gardens towards Mrs Macquarie's Point, or by parking on Mrs Macquarie's Road, and walking down the Fleet Steps.
Wednesday 24th December - PERTH - Cottesloe Beach in "The Groyne" area of the beach
We advise you get there half an hour before we go on air which is 2:30pm in Sydney and we'll be on air until 6:25pm (which is 5:30am to 9:25am GMT).
Bring plenty of water, a sun cream and sunhats.

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=32513