The cost of things

Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:35 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: The cost of things

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
Lots of stuff is very expensive in Australia - just quietly.

It's almost like a dirty secret in Australia that people try to hush-up, lest it might damage Australia's golden reputation for cheapness.

Try to avoid the mistake of thinking that EVERYTHING is more expensive in the UK. Because it actually isn't.
Lot's of cheap stuff too [ made anywhere! ]
But Pauline did good chips and meanwhile the Sport'n Rec club is cheap enough, $3.20 stubbies and $5 in for winner takes all at Poker.

You can even wear your thongs or Crocs to save on socks and feet might get dirty but they're easy to wash with a free stroll along the beach.
The heating is dirt cheap too when you do not need it and that's about always.
Goes for Aircon too.

Minimal cooking costs as well for it's either just throw something on the barbie or wrap in foil for the fire pit.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of stuff is very expensive in Australia - just quietly.

It's almost like a dirty secret in Australia that people try to hush-up, lest it might damage Australia's golden reputation for cheapness.

Try to avoid the mistake of thinking that EVERYTHING is more expensive in the UK. Because it actually isn't.
I don't think many people do think everything is cheaper, nor is it a secret. The reputation would be long dead.

It depends anyhow. I find many things cheaper, others more expensive.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I dont find anything cheaper except mangos and avocados. And I buy lots every week just to enjoy that.

Swimming lessons = $15
Gymnastics = $20
Riding = $35
Speech therapy x 1 = $40
Piano = $30

Its just nuts but what do you do.

For ABC to say people dont notice - I notice!!! bloody overactive ovaries
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
I dont find anything cheaper except mangos and avocados. And I buy lots every week just to enjoy that.

Swimming lessons = $15
Gymnastics = $20
Riding = $35
Speech therapy x 1 = $40
Piano = $30

Its just nuts but what do you do.

How much are avos there, and are they big?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

they are a bit more at the moment but in season they are about $2 I think. And they are big, small, round - all different varieties. All wonderfully ripe, some nutty, some creamy.

I never liked them but now I think I am getting an addiction. I just planted some trees at the bottom of my garden and am going to plant some in the nature strip too as I am running out of room!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The cost of things

A lot of things are much more expensive in Australia. Some things are cheaper.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

But have you noticed that wages have also kept up with general costs, overall ?

And I did say "Maybe people don't really notice, as it is swings and roundabouts ?"

Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:07 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But have you noticed that wages have also kept up with general costs, overall ?

And I did say "Maybe people don't really notice, as it is swings and roundabouts ?"
My hubby's wages are much better here than the UK, although the cost of living here is outrageous
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

For me its a bit different being self employed. My wages havent kept up with anything - havent changed really from being depressingly low

I think I have noticed the increase in pricing quite dramatically. Also having young children, getting older, there are more costs that were not around before.

when I go to look at contracts, the hourly rates are the same as when I arrived. I have to say that every migrant I talk to, except some really postive ones on here - struggle with the pricing and the value for money. Universally they say they are financially worse off.

I am not in the anti Australia brigade but the reason this topic has been done to death is lots of people struggle to get used to their new country's pricing and costs.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:26 pm
ABCDiamond

I think I have noticed the increase in pricing quite dramatically. Also having young children, getting older, there are more costs that were not around before.
You are not wrong there

lots of people struggle to get used to their new country's pricing and costs.
I suppose I have been here long enough to know where to buy best these days
But I also recall my wife finding the UK to be expensive, when she came over, even though I didn't think it was. But she was new to the UK, and had to find her way around.

Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The cost of things

For me its a bit different being self employed. My wages havent kept up with anything - havent changed really from being depressingly low

when I go to look at contracts, the hourly rates are the same as when I arrived. I have to say that every migrant I talk to, except some really postive ones on here - struggle with the pricing and the value for money. Universally they say they are financially worse off.

I am not in the anti Australia brigade but the reason this topic has been done to death is lots of people struggle to get used to their new country's pricing and costs.
We're an exception; our financial situation has improved dramatically. My wife and I both used to work in the UK; now I'm the only one who needs to work (my Australian job pays about 60% more than my UK one did).
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Custard pies don't come cheap . . .
Nor is the high tensile wire of the sort that walkers and trapeze artists use....

My wife has not worked in 6 years. It's unlikely that would have been the case in the UK - for us. Cheap property and high income growth has worked for us. It means we don't notice day to day costs but I know groceries are punitive. I find most of the sports are good value for money.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Most sensible older Australians agree that Australia is vastly less affordable than it once was. Housing used to be dirt cheap compared to the UK. Not really all that easy for first time home buyers here anymore.

People who came here having sold a property in the UK 10 or 15 years ago are in no position to judge because, financially, they got it easy back then.
Hi we went to australia in 1971, married there in 1972, we bought a block of land(a corner lot) 7 miles out of adelaide, for $1,750, we were going to get a house built (I still have the drawings all these years later) I can't remember the exact price, but I think it was round $13,000 to have it built, the mortage repayments $13 per month.!!!!!! Wish I had gone ahead and had it built, maybe I would have stayed in OZ, was only 19 years old at the time and really homesick for my parents and family, so returned home, big mistake. It is a lovely country, enjoy !!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Nor is the high tensile wire of the sort that walkers and trapeze artists use....

My wife has not worked in 6 years. It's unlikely that would have been the case in the UK - for us. Cheap property and high income growth has worked for us. It means we don't notice day to day costs but I know groceries are punitive. I find most of the sports are good value for money.
. . . as the result of a circus accident? A sequined g-string can do a surprising amount of damage when snagged on a high-bar . . .
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
How much are avos there, and are they big?
3 Hass Avocados for $2 at our local fruit shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.