Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 23rd 2020, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

A whopping 7200 tests yielded 7 new cases in NSW in the past 24 hours. They are now begging people to come forward for the test. It's open to everyone.

6 for Victoria and a backflip looming on the closure if schools for the whole of term 2.

This thing has a long tail. It's hard to see international travel commencing in 2020 with the lack of testing in many other countries. That tail could extend for a long time in many other places.

Still awaiting figures from other states.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 23rd 2020 at 11:37 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Time to start opening up. Keep it slow and low but get on with it.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Time to start opening up. Keep it slow and low but get on with it.
Yep. QLD 2, Vic 6, NSW 7. Tas has reporting a death but can't see a new case count. Assuming the rest will be at 0 again. There's got to be well in excess of 10,000 tests per day.

Clearly there will be about 10x that running around the community like a colleague who is claiming to have a chest infection but won't get a test because what the neighbours might think but we just need to get on with it and that NSW teachers federation need to think about the thousands of kids who are turning into mentally distressed mutes because they can't have like minded interactions with their peers.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep. QLD 2, Vic 6, NSW 7. Tas has reporting a death but can't see a new case count. Assuming the rest will be at 0 again. There's got to be well in excess of 10,000 tests per day.

Clearly there will be about 10x that running around the community like a colleague who is claiming to have a chest infection but won't get a test because what the neighbours might think but we just need to get on with it and that NSW teachers federation need to think about the thousands of kids who are turning into mentally distressed mutes because they can't have like minded interactions with their peers.
Two cases in Western Australia overnight, and one death, a cruise ship passenger from the Artania. There are currently 76 active cases in Western Australia. 548 total cases in WA - 458 recoveries, 76 active, 7 deaths - a mortality rate of 0.015%. The 548 includes cruise ship passengers. It seems there may be a small amount of community transmission in Perth. 16 of the 548 cases they could not identify a source from. All cases in the regions, a source was identified.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago, I had a brutal sinus infection that was really lingering (doctor diagnosed, not self diagnosed), to go with my usual allergies, which gives me a productive cough, post-nasal drip etc and I've had that for about 10 years. So I had "symptoms" but not really (ie, a cough but a productive one, not a dry one that is a sign of covid). But I wanted a test and my doctor agreed even though neither of us thought I had it. Because I did have respiratory symptoms - and in the off-chance that I did have it, why would I want to walk around with it exposing it to everyone? So I went and got a test (negative) and had the result in a little over 24 hours, so we could rule it out and I could get on with life. The Government is begging people to go get tested, we are not short of tests, so my doubtful case being tested doesn't mean someone's likely case doesn't get tested. That was about 3 weeks ago.

The colleague is a moron, "the neighbours" don't have to know unless he tells them. I only told my boss (I had been in iso anyways because of the sinus infection) and my wife. Walking around saying don't worry it's just a chest infection so I refuse to get a test just raises anxiety.

I've seen Gladys today says everyone now in NSW can get tested. Our forum colleague who just returned from China and I think had some anxiety, now just has to request one and can have it.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 24th 2020 at 2:56 am.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
For all those who are not connected via FB, I got back to Australia yesterday all okay, after nearly 3 months stuck in central China on what was supposed to be a 3 and a half week holiday of a lifetime.
Now slumming it at the Sheraton Grand in Sydney for the next 14 days.
I did see that on FB, welcome home!!!
Old Apr 24th 2020, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
A few weeks ago, I had a brutal sinus infection that was really lingering (doctor diagnosed, not self diagnosed), to go with my usual allergies, which gives me a productive cough, post-nasal drip etc and I've had that for about 10 years. So I had "symptoms" but not really (ie, a cough but a productive one, not a dry one that is a sign of covid). But I wanted a test and my doctor agreed even though neither of us thought I had it. Because I did have respiratory symptoms - and in the off-chance that I did have it, why would I want to walk around with it exposing it to everyone? So I went and got a test (negative) and had the result in a little over 24 hours, so we could rule it out and I could get on with life. The Government is begging people to go get tested, we are not short of tests, so my doubtful case being tested doesn't mean someone's likely case doesn't get tested. That was about 3 weeks ago.

The colleague is a moron, "the neighbours" don't have to know unless he tells them. I only told my boss (I had been in iso anyways because of the sinus infection) and my wife. Walking around saying don't worry it's just a chest infection so I refuse to get a test just raises anxiety.

I've seen Gladys today says everyone now in NSW can get tested. Our forum colleague who just returned from China and I think had some anxiety, now just has to request one and can have it.
Yes. She should just go. I am tempt to report her and her husband. I probably should but probably won't.

It's going to be a long tail. I would be surprised if we start to see a bit of an increase. Social distancing is starting to get a bit lazy, but the did say that everyone would get a bit sick of it and it would happen.

Old Apr 24th 2020, 11:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Three days off shift and haven't been out. Went to work this morning (Brisbane) and as soon as I stepped outside I could hear the city traffic from my hilltop. I haven't heard that level of noise since the start of the "lockdown". I reckon the traffic going into work (this being 5.30am) was not that much lighter than pre-lockdown days. Uber driver agreed. He said yesterday and today had shown a noticeaable increase in commuter traffic, and he thinks small businesses and shops are taking a decision to reopen rather than going bust.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 8:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like opening Sydney's beaches and trusting people to do the right thing hasn't worked how they'd liked, although if they didn't expect it then more fool them. The problem here is that many people who consider themselves to be not at risk, don't give a fig for anyone who is at risk. What a shame it doesn't target people like that.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Looks like opening Sydney's beaches and trusting people to do the right thing hasn't worked how they'd liked, although if they didn't expect it then more fool them. The problem here is that many people who consider themselves to be not at risk, don't give a fig for anyone who is at risk. What a shame it doesn't target people like that.
Yeah, goodness. Especially jarring since I believe one of the Sydney clusters was traced back, at least partly, to that Bondi mob-fest that made world headlines a few weeks back.

Where I am people have definitely relaxed quite a bit though most still trying to do the right thing. Most did the driveway thing this morning though my wife (who works early) told me she saw a small crowd gathered at the town war memorial when she drove by.

One case in Western Australia today.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 25th 2020 at 8:46 am.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Yeah, goodness. Especially jarring since I believe one of the Sydney clusters was traced back, at least partly, to that Bondi mob-fest that made world headlines a few weeks back.

Where I am people have definitely relaxed quite a bit though most still trying to do the right thing. Most did the driveway thing this morning though my wife (who works early) told me she saw a small crowd gathered at the town war memorial when she drove by.

One case in Western Australia today.
I hope that relaxation doesn't come back to bite us I really do. I really do like the way people seem to be reconnecting with their kids even if it is because of a far from ideal situation, some of the videos going about of Facebook have been tremendous. One thing is for sure though, I want my next r&r to be at home or on camp, nothing is quite so boring as a hotel in a seaside town where most things are shut, I made a video using empty beer cans and a rendition of Jerusalem on Thursday and so far it's been the highlight of my week
Old Apr 25th 2020, 9:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm off to Royal Perth hospital this morning, my mum and my son are both in there (neither with the coronavirus). Due to their infection protocols I'm not allowed to visit Mum, who's having a mastectomy this morning, but am allowed to visit my son for one hour as I'm his next of kin. I took him to their emergency dept. yesterday as he suddenly lost the use of his right leg and right arm. They think he has multiple sclerosis, he's 38.
The staff looking after both Mum and my son are brilliant and have put a lot of things in place to make sure patients and visitors are as safe as possible.
Very sorry to hear about both your Mum and Son. Virtual hugs to you, stay strong for them XX
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I hope that relaxation doesn't come back to bite us I really do. I really do like the way people seem to be reconnecting with their kids even if it is because of a far from ideal situation, some of the videos going about of Facebook have been tremendous. One thing is for sure though, I want my next r&r to be at home or on camp, nothing is quite so boring as a hotel in a seaside town where most things are shut, I made a video using empty beer cans and a rendition of Jerusalem on Thursday and so far it's been the highlight of my week
Ha, yeah, I imagine. I really don't understand why they made you leave unless they needed to use your donga temporarily for something else. Should have just let you stay there if that's what you wanted. Hope, at least, the scenery at the camp is nice? Very little can beat a Pilbara sunset.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep. Social distancing fatigue setting in.

Had a swim a Maroubra this morning. Not many there. I give Coogee a wide berth. The beach is too small and it funnels the crowds in. They are the pictures you see in then press and they like to use the telephoto lenses to make everyone look like they are standing shoulder to shoulder.

Relatively quiet at Maroubra but the weather has been amazing so they need to keep an eye on the crowds. The fatigue is here.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Ha, yeah, I imagine. I really don't understand why they made you leave unless they needed to use your donga temporarily for something else. Should have just let you stay there if that's what you wanted. Hope, at least, the scenery at the camp is nice? Very little can beat a Pilbara sunset.
I don't understand either, they said it was a mental welfare thing, but I don't think I've ever felt so miserable. Looking forward to flying back to work catch up with some mates and see that sunset.

Yep. Social distancing fatigue setting in.

Had a swim a Maroubra this morning. Not many there. I give Coogee a wide berth. The beach is too small and it funnels the crowds in. They are the pictures you see in then press and they like to use the telephoto lenses to make everyone look like they are standing shoulder to shoulder.

Relatively quiet at Maroubra but the weather has been amazing so they need to keep an eye on the crowds. The fatigue is here.
The people flocking to the beaches are the same people that the rules had to be toughened up for. Its not fatigue it's the same stupid people only thinking of themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.