Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coping with mother-in-laws

Wikiposts

Coping with mother-in-laws

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:20 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with mother-in-laws

Originally Posted by SamSi
I wish you were my MIL Mrs Tomar!
My MIL is cool, witty and down to earth!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Samsi, Is adoption the way forward!!!! At least my visits would be shorter as only traveling in the same country, so no need to justify the cost of the airfare, by outstaying the welcome.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tomar
I'm going to put an alternative perspective on this thread. As a MIL, I am very aware of being made very very unwelcome by my DIL! We have lived overseas through work and now in Oz for the last 15 years. We are very used to having visitors and I do believe we know how to behave when we visit, never longer than a week, by the way. The bed is never made up for us on the rare times we visit, our visit is very much our son's responsibility, he cooks etc. They have stayed with us over the years, we have bent over backwards to give them a good time. We have paid for flights, taken them to exotic places while with us.
We know we aren't welcome by her, it's very hurtfull. We are going back to UK shortly for a visit and have no intention of staying with them. You can't win, as strangely enough we get on very well with our son, who is caught between a rock and a hard place. He came here on his own last time, we had a great time with all three of ours here to celebrate a birthday.
You know you mustn't come between your son and his wife, but trust me there are times!!!! Have managed to keep my cool so far.
Just an example, we skype regularly, we never see or hear her not even on christmas day!
A lot of parents who visit overseas are perhaps very unused to traveling so far, unused to to having visitors themselves, and unintentionally just don't realise the stress everyone can be under. If possible be honest (even if I can't) give each other space, that's really important, but also understand that if MIL is now on her own, it means the world to her to be with you.
We intend renting somewhere near to them on this trip, but know better than to impose too much.
Good luck to all those visiting and having visitors.
Tomar parent
You sound great ,but unfortunately not all inlaws are like you
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:20 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
My MIL is cool, witty and down to earth!
My MIL and I don't speak the same language so we just nod and smile at eachother... She's such a honey
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:24 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My MIL and I don't speak the same language so we just nod and smile at eachother... She's such a honey
I'll bet she is - after all, you don't have to speak to her