Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coping with mother-in-laws

Coping with mother-in-laws

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all
Default Coping with mother-in-laws

Well it's only April and I am already dreading Christmas. My MIL has started muttering about coming to visit us. Feel there is only a very small window of opportunity (possibly a week) to fend her off before she books flights. I can't think of an excuse so clearly the only option is for us to escape and go away ourselves, so theres a couple of grand down the drain. Does anyone else dread visitors from the UK?? How do you cope??
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:11 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coping with mother-in-laws

Originally Posted by SamSi
Well it's only April and I am already dreading Christmas. My MIL has started muttering about coming to visit us. Feel there is only a very small window of opportunity (possibly a week) to fend her off before she books flights. I can't think of an excuse so clearly the only option is for us to escape and go away ourselves, so theres a couple of grand down the drain. Does anyone else dread visitors from the UK?? How do you cope??
get on with ya...ya miserable bugger surly you can put up with her for a week.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
get on with ya...ya miserable bugger surly you can put up with her for a week.
Agreed, how bad can she be?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:29 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how I would love visits of just a week or two or even ONE month .... my visitors stay for 3 or 6 months at a time ... so count ya blessings
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got my mother-in-law coming from Australia for mothers day (it's also her birthday that day). Her sister and my father-in-law's sister are coming from the UK on the same day - all here for two weeks. Can't wait, it will be a blast showing the old girls around and having them giggling over a glass of wine by the pool every night. My kids don't see enough family - they have one grandmother alive and it will be great for them.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

No no, I mean I only have a week between now and when she books the flights to come up with an excuse....they usually stay for at least 4 months?!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No no, I mean I only have a week between now and when she books the flights to come up with an excuse....they usually stay for at least 4 months?!
Do what we did when my mother in law wanted to visit. Ask her where she plans to stay. Offer to look into a short term furnished place so she will be able to do her own cooking and laundry considering she will be over for so long.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
We've got my mother-in-law coming from Australia for mothers day (it's also her birthday that day). Her sister and my father-in-law's sister are coming from the UK on the same day - all here for two weeks. Can't wait, it will be a blast showing the old girls around and having them giggling over a glass of wine by the pool every night. My kids don't see enough family - they have one grandmother alive and it will be great for them.
I know what you mean,my four year old misses her grandparents so much that she will be so excited when her nanny and granddad come for two weeks in October then another two weeks at their other sons.The problem I will have is getting the two older ones to come out with us some of the time.

I guess though two weeks is a bit different from months!Sue.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:28 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Do what we did when my mother in law wanted to visit. Ask her where she plans to stay. Offer to look into a short term furnished place so she will be able to do her own cooking and laundry considering she will be over for so long.
Nice answer,

And if that dont work just move out yourself for a few months make it out to be a jesture of good will.

And if that dont work try sticking hot needles in your eyes, it would be less painfull and then explain that you simply dont have the room to accomadate them as you need your space due to your new sight problems.

HTH

Dougie
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

FOUR MONTHS!!!!!

Move & don't leave a forwarding address!

Seriously, Dorothy's idea of a short term let is a good one!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:02 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Here's a plan:

1) Tell her that to fly in for Xmas is just too darn expensive. Insist she come after 3rd Jan, and then you will do a second Xmas on 12th Night in her honour. Remind her how much the kids will love her for causing two Xmasses. This will a) chop a week or two off her visit b) allow you to have your Xmas your way.

2) As your Xmas present to her, book her on a 2-3week seniors coach tour that leaves and departs from your city - after all, it's such a shame for her to come all this way and see nothing of Australia, right? Get this to start about 2 weeks, or as many as you can think you can stand, after she has arrived.

3) Make sure she has her hair done and perhaps some new togs and perfume to go with on the coach trip.

4) Hope to God there are some randy old bachelors on the trip.........

5) Welcome her back home for another 2-3 weeks. Encourage her to talk about her holiday romance; remark how wonderful it would be to see her loved up and secure as she comes into old age.

6) You are now 6-8 weeks in to her trip. Ask her to babysit while you two go away for a week(end).

7) Only two months ago - I'm out of ideas. But hopefully you'll be wedding planning for her..........
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The short term let and the coach trip sound like winners. It's ridiculous isn't it, part of my reasons to come over here was to escape all the family drama-ramas but it seems nowhere is safe. And don't even get me started on the expense - the last visit I think we only got 2 offers to chip in for drinks/food and they were here for 8 weeks. I'm sure I saw a moth fly out of my MILs purse when she was leaving

Thanks again
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the MIL, it's my FIL I can't stand!!!! He is a flippin' nightmare!

Rudi
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I could not cope with 4 months - that's crazy In the last four months I've had the inlaws for 2 months and my Mum for 5 weeks - so I feel your pain. Thankfully, next time the inlaws come out, they're staying in an apartment in the city -- yee hah
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The short term let and the coach trip sound like winners. It's ridiculous isn't it, part of my reasons to come over here was to escape all the family drama-ramas but it seems nowhere is safe. And don't even get me started on the expense - the last visit I think we only got 2 offers to chip in for drinks/food and they were here for 8 weeks. I'm sure I saw a moth fly out of my MILs purse when she was leaving

Thanks again
Sounds like you really need to set ground rules & get your OH to do it. They are his parents after all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.