Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coping with mother-in-laws

Wikiposts

Coping with mother-in-laws

Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:59 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with mother-in-laws

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
4 months oh Jesus
I couldn't cope with that, i'd end up in an asylum - either that or kill them all off one by one! - now there's a solution!

Did i suggest that?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Yes! That's what my sister-in-law does, too! She did it last year AND again this year. We've now told her she must pick a flight that arrives in the day time.

She is a teacher and no way could she survive a day in front of her class on 4 hours sleep. Why do it to us???

Even better: her return flight was due to land at Heathrow at 3.30pm. A friend was picking her up. SIL said that was o.k. because it was 3.30pm but any later and she would have booked a taxi!

So, she thinks it's an imposition to get her friend to the airport any later than 3.30pm but getting us to the airport at 1am is fine and dandy???!!!

Thankfully she isn't coming next year.

my in laws do this too - my hubby had to take them to airport for a late night flight - he gets up at 5 am for work and the other one is the get here at 2 pm and expect hubby to pick them up when he is working - why cant they get a taxi ?

they got very upset last time - they were flying home at 1pm and wanted hubby to take them to the airport - when hubby said he couldn't as he would be at work and couldn't take the time off - fil said - well if we met you in perth cbd you could disapear for 1 hr to take us to the airport - hubby said no he could not

they ended up getting a taxi !
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:05 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
my in laws do this too - my hubby had to take them to airport for a late night flight - he gets up at 5 am for work and the other one is the get here at 2 pm and expect hubby to pick them up when he is working - why cant they get a taxi ?

they got very upset last time - they were flying home at 1pm and wanted hubby to take them to the airport - when hubby said he couldn't as he would be at work and couldn't take the time off - fil said - well if we met you in perth cbd you could disapear for 1 hr to take us to the airport - hubby said no he could not

they ended up getting a taxi !
Rellies can be so demanding and aren't aware of the stress they can administer.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smude
What I would like to know though is how come others stay for 4 months?....what type of visa? ...thought that the longest was 3 month stay.

As you can see don't want visitors to stay longer....just curious.
3 months stay is with the electronic visa. You can do a paper application for a 6 months and a 12 months visitors visa as well. Make sure you don't let that one slip in front of your parents/in-laws ...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

3 months stay is with the electronic visa. You can do a paper application for a 6 months and a 12 months visitors visa as well. Make sure you don't let that one slip in front of your parents/in-laws ...
Or the parental visa,i will swing for anyone that tells my inlaws about that as they now have 50% of their children here:curse:
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

think i will keep that one to my self
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:51 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

think i will keep that one to my self
Tell her if she stays more than three days you'll divorce her son and she'll never see her grandchildren again.

That'll fix it.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Burbage
Tell her if she stays more than three days you'll divorce her son and she'll never see her grandchildren again.

That'll fix it.
i have never married or will ever marry her son x bit harsh about the grandkids though as they are her only ones she has
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:05 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

i have never married or will ever marry her son x bit harsh about the grandkids though as they are her only ones she has
How can she be a mother in law if you haven't married her son? She must be a mother out law.

Even better. The threat carries even more weight.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Burbage

That'll fix it.
hee hee hee
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

At least we all have an insight how we will be seen as mil

My mother in law used to come for three months at a time and it was fine, I probably was a bit of a bitch at times, more than likely I would say, because I sometimes like to shop alone and she always wanted to come. That said she was my oh Mum and she loved him and him her and he has to put up with my Mum so tit for tat really.

I think though its a good idea when buying property if you are going to have lots of overseas visitors to have a small unit built on the house or granny flat and then at least you can have some privacy. Say its a b and b and income will be lost so maybe handouts will come too.

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice

Thanks for that - wasn't aware. Don't worry though will make sure that they are not aware of this one!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

smude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nicesmude is just really nice

Just had a thought - perhaps tell them you are thinking of returning to the uk anytime soon so best not to book flights as you wouldn't want them to waste money!!!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:56 pm

Just had a thought - perhaps tell them you are thinking of returning to the uk anytime soon so best not to book flights as you wouldn't want them to waste money!!!
good one hee hee - i may resort to that!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that is only psotponing the inevitable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.