Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Contact lenses and humidity / heat

Contact lenses and humidity / heat

Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Contact lenses and humidity / heat

Originally Posted by annqldau
Busy wearing my lenses again now my ??? hay fever has settled and found those drops I mentioned Gedge. They are Alcon Clens 100 Lens Drops for all soft and rigid gas permable contact lenses.

http://www.alconlabs.com/ca_en/aj/pr...clens100.jhtml
greatly appreciated Ann
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:11 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
greatly appreciated Ann
Couple of questions for anyone who knows the answer...

If you order soft lenses on line ie. daily disposable is your prescription the same for your hard lenses.

Have also noticed on the online ordering they ask for some of your prescription on box but not all of it does that matter? ie. BC,SPH,CYL but not AX.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by gedge
greatly appreciated Ann

If you order soft lenses on line ie. daily disposable is your prescription the same for your hard lenses.

Have also noticed on the online ordering they ask for some of your prescription on box but not all of it does that matter?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:51 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau

Have also noticed on the online ordering they ask for some of your prescription on box but not all of it does that matter? ie. BC,SPH,CYL but not AX.
Do you have a separate prescription for contact lenses and glasses? The contact lens prescription doesn't need to be so detailed as for glasses because things like pupil measurement aren't relevant. Also, in my case my contact lens prescription is less strong than for my glasses as they sit directly on my eye rather than a few cms off. In the UK, I used to get my eyes tested for glasses and then the optician used to give my lenses based on that. If I'd gone to a seperate optician or ordered online, I probably would have had to ask for a seperate contact lens prescription.

Also, contact lenses are manufactured on the basis of prescription and the eye shape, so that's the only information the online retailers will ask for. If you look on the box your current lenses come in, they will have just two numbers (unless they're different from other boxes I've seen!).

Hope that helps. You could also drop netoptical an email, they're very helpful as well as being cheap
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking of trying a new type of lens then I would strongly recommend doing some sort of trial with an optician checking your eyes. It's just not worth risking your sight (& comfort) by trying something new unsupervised that might not suit you. Myself I have ping-ponged back and forth between dailies & monthlies & continuous wear and have come to the conclusion that there is no type of lens that I can wear as much as I want to - have just had to invest in some decent glasses & pres sunglasses!
Having spent that money tho am now thinking of saving for laser surgery. Was going to get it done in UK but figure it would be better to have it done in Oz when we're there as then I'll be around if I need any after-care. If any one has any recommendations for Hunter Valley area or even down to Sydney then it would be great to have a starting point for research once I arrive.

(Sorry for long rambling post! )
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:03 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
If you're thinking of trying a new type of lens then I would strongly recommend doing some sort of trial with an optician checking your eyes. It's just not worth risking your sight (& comfort) by trying something new unsupervised that might not suit you. Myself I have ping-ponged back and forth between dailies & monthlies & continuous wear and have come to the conclusion that there is no type of lens that I can wear as much as I want to - have just had to invest in some decent glasses & pres sunglasses!
Having spent that money tho am now thinking of saving for laser surgery. Was going to get it done in UK but figure it would be better to have it done in Oz when we're there as then I'll be around if I need any after-care. If any one has any recommendations for Hunter Valley area or even down to Sydney then it would be great to have a starting point for research once I arrive.

Excellent advice, I forgot to say something similar myself. I have a friend who wears hard lenses, she cannot wear soft lenses because of the way they sit on the eye so it's worth having a trial with soft lenses to see if they'll be suitable before you splash your cash. Maybe visit a local optician and get a few months supply from them (if the trial works) and then buy online if everything works out?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by chels
Excellent advice, I forgot to say something similar myself. I have a friend who wears hard lenses, she cannot wear soft lenses because of the way they sit on the eye so it's worth having a trial with soft lenses to see if they'll be suitable before you splash your cash. Maybe visit a local optician and get a few months supply from them (if the trial works) and then buy online if everything works out?
Originally Posted by esperanza

I'm going to get my eyes tested soon but was just wondering how others had faired. I'm not sure about laser surgery as I'm at that age where I expect change anyway.