Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

common link to the riots

common link to the riots

Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default common link to the riots

I've been following the "troubles" in the Uk today on the internet and the radio news. After all the in depth analysis etc by the experts there doesn't seem to be any thing to link the rioters/protestors together except that they all seem to be from a lower socio economic group.

Why don't the powers that be get one of their supercomputers to work on the problem. You know analyse the video footage, arrest sheets etc and try to be a bit more specific about who these offenders are.

At the moment after watching the footage on the TV when I got home the only link seems to be that the rioters look out of place north of Africa and West of the middle east.

Surely it can't be as simple as that? If it was why didn't the hundreds of "experts" who have given their 2 bobs worthmention it.

Keel
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: common link to the riots

They're a breed of the current society. Colour of skin has nothing to do with it.

It's the generation of 'I want it now, I'll have it now'. This is down to laziness, lack of discipline and lack of role models.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:21 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Is it Germany were they spray rioters with blue dye? Then they arrest at leisure later on.
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

.....and lack of parents.
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

It also doesn't help when the government make huge cuts to youth services....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:22 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
It also doesn't help when the government make huge cuts to youth services....
Youth services? hmmm? don't think they existed when I was a yoof.

Admitedly that was in 1876.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Youth services? hmmm? don't think they existed when I was a yoof.

Admitedly that was in 1876.
They didn't when I was a youth either, but in my spare time I played football or done boxing or ran. Seems like kids today need their hands holding all the time. But that's a fact of life unfortunately.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
They didn't when I was a youth either, but in my spare time I played football or done boxing or ran. Seems like kids today need their hands holding all the time. But that's a fact of life unfortunately.
Which comes back to the lack of parents.......or parental guidance.

Actually it's also lack of discipline in the home and schools.
PC brigade should be on the front line of this.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:38 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Agreed and unwillingness or inability of the police to enforce the law on the ground in normal circumstances. IMO of course.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:52 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Weak communities all round. PCs are needed on the streets.

Originally Posted by Bix

Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't blame the schools- they have been handicapped by successive governments and PC legislation. They are not allowed to punish pupils for fear of them either sueing for breach of their human rights, or being beaten up by aggressive parents/relatives/siblings.

I got out of teaching as soon as I could.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

It might sound old-fashioned, but I honestly think 'gangsta rap' and other similar music genres positively encourage behaviour like this. I'd ban it.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:29 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keel
I've been following the "troubles" in the Uk today on the internet and the radio news. After all the in depth analysis etc by the experts there doesn't seem to be any thing to link the rioters/protestors together except that they all seem to be from a lower socio economic group.

Why don't the powers that be get one of their supercomputers to work on the problem. You know analyse the video footage, arrest sheets etc and try to be a bit more specific about who these offenders are.

At the moment after watching the footage on the TV when I got home the only link seems to be that the rioters look out of place north of Africa and West of the middle east.

Surely it can't be as simple as that? If it was why didn't the hundreds of "experts" who have given their 2 bobs worthmention it.

Keel
You can check out some of the thugs on the Met Police Flickr photograph group if you want.

I think this is a combination of an essentially Tory leadership, a country in recession, massive cuts to public services, policing, schools etc, combined with high unemployment.
People in England have a history of rioting, going right back to the 1700's. It usually happens when the economy sucks...
Lower socio-economic groupings are more likely to feel the brunt of it, more likely to be disaffected by it, and less able to express themselves in any mature way other than doing something stupid/aggressive.
I think it's just a sign of the times. The shooting was just a spark which kicked it all off.
Looking at previous riots, Toxteth riots, The Brixton riots.. it's usually started because of a 'minority' group, rallying against those 'in power' and it's usually attached to a period of economic instability. It's usually kicked off by something such as seemingly wrongful actions by police or government in general.
Whilst this is horrible, I just think it's symptomatic of the way the Tory gov makes people feel.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:38 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Don't blame the schools- they have been handicapped by successive governments and PC legislation. They are not allowed to punish pupils for fear of them either sueing for breach of their human rights, or being beaten up by aggressive parents/relatives/siblings.

I got out of teaching as soon as I could.

Agree with this. I don't see anything else here beyond troublemaking for the sake of. I think that's probably a great pity. There's not even anything that they are protesting about - just thuggery and theivery for the sake of it.

But, I dare say it's been coming for a long time. When I was in The Job, this sort of behaviour was often seen from youths in the streets, but on a much smaller scale - groups of anything from 10-30. I particularly recall that they would steal cars, thrash them around the estate, then set light to them. When the fire service came, they would then throw bottles and stones at them.

I think that it's a triumvairate of causation - very poor parenting, where parents view and teach their children that authority is to be challenged at all opportunities, schools unable to effectively discipline and a police and court system that simply allows them to get away with too much through either lack of resources and/or lack of sentencing backbone.

I hope that this highlights that the softly softly approach really doesn't work.

S
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

There was some rather odd coverage of it last night (aus) about 8pm. Said Australia is used to immigrants, UK has not had to deal with them.

Funny that given the most diverse population of the UK and the arrival of thousands of immigrants in all eras.

Really amazed at how little research is put into the news sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.