Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

come on yorkshire lass give me the

Wikiposts

come on yorkshire lass give me the

Old May 20th 2008, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: come on yorkshire lass give me the

Originally Posted by sasbear
Me too - deffo eat with the dinner - but my gran never washes her pudding tins either

Must be an old lady thing!

If I didn't wash mine there would be bits of three week old YP's stuck to it they don't make the non stick bit as non-sticky as they used to
Old May 20th 2008, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

If I didn't wash mine there would be bits of three week old YP's stuck to it they don't make the non stick bit as non-sticky as they used to
It's called 'proving' the tins...same with roasting tins. I have to say I do give mine a good wipe round with a paper towel.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's called 'proving' the tins...same with roasting tins. I have to say I do give mine a good wipe round with a paper towel.

Yeah, that's all I do - I don't scrub them or anything like that. But I couldn't not clean them at all.

Thinking back I reckon my Nan didn't clean her tins out either, I have vague memories of them all sitting in the 'warming draw' of the cooker all week until they were unleashed on a Sunday. I remember she had a lot of mice too. That's probably why I clean mine - I'm traumatised!
Old May 20th 2008, 12:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she would wipe them round but I think the theory is the fat seasons the tins, much as you'd do with a new wok.

They might not stick if you stopped washing then, Wendy

(I can't cook, or rather I'm a reluctant cook, but times were 'ard in our house and Mum cooked and baked almost everything from scratch so some of it must be in the deep recesses of my brain.)

I'm actually talking myself into fancying some now, which is odd - I've only done them once, years and years ago, and I'm allergic to eggs, dairy and wheat so I should stop reading this thread.
Old May 20th 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

Secret is put an extra egg in and watch them rise, IE: 3 eggs instead of two.

Don't bother to weigh things out just use:

8 table spoons of flour
3 Eggs
1/2 pint of any milk
Pinch of salt and pepper

Heat pan until smoking. Pour in batter. Place in oven after 5 mins turn heat down to 220. 15 mins later put on plate and eat your heart out. Lovely jubly me thinks. Got them in the oven this min.

Last edited by mattandjulia; May 20th 2008 at 2:01 pm.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattandjulia
Secret is put an extra egg in and watch them rise, IE: 3 eggs instead of two.
My mum never added an extra egg. The secret is to beat the batter well and let it stand for approx 30 mins. The fat in the tins should be 'blue' (smoking hot) before putting the batter in. Don't open the oven door until the Yorkies are ready or they will 'fall'.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;6373333]My mum never added an extra egg.

Came from a well known chef around Yorkshire and has had write ups in a lot of newspapers across the world about his Yorkshires.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy

No It's not. Matt's uncle who is the chef I have told you about has never washed one yet. It adds to the taste.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Came from a well known chef around Yorkshire and has had write ups in a lot of newspapers across the world about his Yorkshires.
I bet they couldn't hold a candle to my mum's Yorkies. Sadly she is too old and frail to make them now.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I bet they couldn't hold a candle to my mum's Yorkies. Sadly she is too old and frail to make them now.
Wouldn't like to say yes or no but he has quite a few restraunts across the world and makes them in all, so can't be that bad.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:25 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Put the batter mix in the fridge for an hour plus before cooking, beat in plenty of air when making them. Make sure the oven tray is smoking hot when you pour the mix in, dont open the oven to check them...
Old May 20th 2008, 2:26 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

No It's not. Matt's uncle who is the chef I have told you about has never washed one yet. It adds to the taste.
Its the same thing as with a wok - just wipe them out - usually with kitchen roll...
Old May 20th 2008, 2:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

When my shipping arrives (hopefully next Tuesday, fingers crossed please!) I will dig out my DS book and put you all straight.

In the early 80s, in the first flush of a live-in relationship, I flirted for a while with being domesticated and wrote a few of my Mum's standards in my old school exercise book. I haven't referred to it for many years, but it's travelled the world and will continue to do so.

Matt's uncle must have very long arms.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
Matt's uncle must have very long arms.
Not really just travells a lot and has very good staff. Mainly his family.
Old May 20th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Not really just travells a lot and has very good staff. Mainly his family.

Wont you tell us his name, then I can check to see if he has long arm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.