The Co-op

Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:55 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Co-op

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Like the average midlanders head
Says the irishman.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

ding ding. round 1.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:57 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
ding ding. round 1.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

We would get sent to the co-op butchers on a saturday morning for messages. Being from a large Irish Catholic family (no birth control), myself and older sister would order what was on the slip of paper given to us only to be greeted with the sarcastic remark "feeding the millions today folks" which all workers in co thought was hilarious.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember the CO-OP's New Century Hall had a 'bouncy' dance floor that moved so much in the middle that you could just stand there and let the floor do all the work.

Does that count as on topic?.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Just out of interest are the equivalent supermarkets there better quality than here? By that I mean that in this country I wouldn't go within 100 yards of an Aldi store because I usually want to buy branded goods and don't want to buy anything from the racks of saddles and tack, talking mirrors, cheap yapping toy dogs and screwdrivers. However Aldi (rubbish except for fruit and veg apparently), Safeway (taken over by Morrisons here) and Woolworths (went bust) are talked about with enthusiasm over there. Is it just because there aren't alternatives or are they just better over there?

PS, I love Co-op
I think that might depend on what you are looking for.
ALDI have branded products, just not the brands you would normally recognise However, sugar and salt, for example, seem to me to be pretty much the same no matter what brand name the packet has

The main supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths/Safeway, have product ranges that most Australians are used to, but are found to be inferior by new migrants.

There prices are also extremely high for many items. The smaller shops more often than not, offer much better value than the Supermarkets for fresh meat, fruit and veg etc.

Packaged meals, TV dinners etc, are not cheap, and haven't been popular here, although I am seeing more and more of them these days.

Since the introduction of ALDI in Australia, we have seen many better pricing options, in the locations that have an ALDI. Both Coles and Woolworths try to compete in those suburbs when they can, but they are still about 40% higher in price for basics when compared to ALDI.

Old Nov 14th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that might depend on what you are looking for.
ALDI have branded products, just not the brands you would normally recognise However, sugar and salt, for example, seem to me to be pretty much the same no matter what brand name the packet has

The main supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths/Safeway, have product ranges that most Australians are used to, but are found to be inferior by new migrants.

There prices are also extremely high for many items. The smaller shops more often than not, offer much better value than the Supermarkets for fresh meat, fruit and veg etc.

Packaged meals, TV dinners etc, are not cheap, and haven't been popular here, although I am seeing more and more of them these days.

Since the introduction of ALDI in Australia, we have seen many better pricing options, in the locations that have an ALDI. Both Coles and Woolworths try to compete in those suburbs when they can, but they are still about 40% higher in price for basics when compared to ALDI.
Thanks ABC. When we visited we went to a supermarket in Mornington (Melbourne), I think it was Safeway which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It had everything I needed and if anything, it was nice not to have so much choice. I know this sounds wierd but I seem to trail round endlessly in Morrisons looking at all the choices which takes ages. Also, it was on a road with loads of little shops where you really could find anything. Roads like this seem to be dying out in the UK which is a real shame. I guess people don't have the time to visit lots of little shops and prefer it all under one roof. Shame really.