The Co-op

Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:01 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Co-op

As we all love a good supermarket/shopping thread, I thought I would start another.

Growing up I always liked the Co-op, a supermarket with a conscience. I remember they were selling fairtrade chocolate and coffee, and biodegradable plastics bags years before the rest of its competitors.

Does anyone else have similar fond memories?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The Co-op

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
As we all love a good supermarket/shopping thread, I thought I would start another.

Growing up I always liked the Co-op, a supermarket with a conscience. I remember they were selling fairtrade chocolate and coffee, and biodegradable plastics bags years before the rest of its competitors.

Yes, one of my friends, friends, after being made redundant by the Co-op, when they were closing shops down, actually bought his local co-op.

The Co-op was right to close it.... he was bankrupt the next year.

Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:17 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, one of my friends, friends, after being made redundant by the Co-op, when they were closing shops down, actually bought his local co-op.

The Co-op was right to close it.... he was bankrupt the next year.
Whoops.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

My last job in the UK was as a consultant to the Co-op working on the systems for their loyalty programs. You could get points for a funeral...and almost anything else in fact!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Co-op

I like the Co-Op. They were my client when I worked for Rentokil Initial in the UK and I was based at their headquarters in Lichfield.

After years of being marginalised by the biggest players, they are starting to make a strong comeback. More power to Co-Op, I say.

Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I like the Co-Op. They were my client when I worked for Rentokil Initial in the UK and I was based at their headquarters in Lichfield.

After years of being marginalised by the biggest players, they are starting to make a strong comeback. More power to Co-Op, I say.

I have always like the Co-op's social agenda. They do seem to have developed a niche for themselves and do support smaller businesses rather than trying to hinder them.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I shopped at my local Scotmid( co-op up my way) It was nice and quiet as everyone was at Tesco helping starve some more third world farmers
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
I shopped at my local Scotmid( co-op up my way) It was nice and quiet as everyone was at Tesco helping starve some more third world farmers
I think the general public is now starting to think carefully about where their food comes from.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Co-op

Co-Op's ethical policy was a huge drawcard for me. They were are pioneers in ethical retail, way ahead of their time.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

I think the general public is now starting to think carefully about where their food comes from.
The fridge?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:44 am
Banned

The fridge?
I would hope they thought a little harder than that.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Co-Op's ethical policy was a huge drawcard for me. They were are pioneers in ethical retail, way ahead of their time.
Indeed. It was selling organic locally grown food, before it was 'fashionable'.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:46 am
Account Closed

I would hope they thought a little harder than that.
Freezer?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It was nice and quiet as everyone was at Tesco helping starve some more third world farmers
Would these be the same third world farmers that the Australian seafood market is now screwing?

They seem to get screwed every which way
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Would these be the same third world farmers that the Australian seafood market is now screwing?

They seem to get screwed every which way
Probably. Which is why I avoid supermarkets here as much as I did in the UK.
Tesco etc are only worse because they are more powerful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.