Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cleanliness is next to God(zone)liness

View Poll Results: So who is the dirty cousin?
Australia is much cleaner than the UK
48.15%
Australia is slightly cleaner than the UK
7.41%
They are about the same
37.04%
The UK is slightly cleaner than Australia
3.70%
The UK is much cleaner than Australia
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Cleanliness is next to God(zone)liness

Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:01 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Cleanliness is next to God(zone)liness

How would you compare standards of cleanliness and hygiene in Australia with those in the UK? Taking a very wide view so including people's homes, cafes and restaurants, public places etc., but not including outdoor areas. (And not including personal hygiene either.)

So would the Aussies make Kim and Aggie cringe or not?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:06 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cleanliness is next to God(zone)liness

I've gone for "about the same" although I have noticed a much wider range here than I did in the UK. So I have seen public places here that are much dirtier than I've seen in the UK, but not so many as to make me think standards are typically lower.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
How would you compare standards of cleanliness and hygiene in Australia with those in the UK? Taking a very wide view so including people's homes, cafes and restaurants, public places etc., but not including outdoor areas. (And not including personal hygiene either.)

So would the Aussies make Kim and Aggie cringe or not?

It seems so, some survey reckons 67% of aussies dont wash their hands after using the bog.

Given the total lack of soap/hand towels in school loos, probably correct, if you dont learn the habit as a kid ......
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:34 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

went for about the same as so far it was but then I wasnt there for that long
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:25 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for slightly cleaner - This is not taking into account our local Safeway in Mentone which is dirty, particularly the floors and the milk fridge which stinks of rotting fish!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cleanliness is next to God(zone)liness

Definitely cleaner.

The first thing I noticed when I came to the UK was the sheer quantity of refuse on the streets and pavements.

The first thing my Pommie wife noticed when I took her for a holiday Down Under was the cleanliness of the cities.

She was particularly impressed by Launceston - as was I, since I remembered it as a grubby little joint in desperate need of a cleanup! Looks like they finally got the job done.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I probably find a lot cleaner in UK are the supermarkets. In terms of streetscape, Australia is definitely cleaner. Everything else (people's houses etc) much of a muchness.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:10 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

I have found that the houses much of a muchness, some people really need to wash themselves or their clothes (some people really do stink) and without a doubt one of the things most noticeable in the UK is the litter in the streets and countryside. It is dreadful and really makes me crinch, Australia in general is much cleaner. I have been in the UK for 6 months, I leave to come home in 12 days time and to be honest, I could do with some "Eye Candy" regarding the outdoors.