Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Childbirth - Your stories

Childbirth - Your stories

Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:01 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childbirth - Your stories

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Why do we all love to hear and share out childbirth stories?

My oldest was born 7 hours after my waters broke, just before they wheeled me off to have a c-section I managed to give birth. He was 9lb 5oz. I hoped he was a fluke. I was induced when he was 7 days late due to high blood pressure. I had this one in a military hospital in Berlin

My 2nd was also overdue, 10 days this time. He arrived a little easier than his brother 2 hours after my waters broke. He was 9lb 14oz! They had trouble getting him to breathe due to the pethidine they had given me and that was a bit worrying (ok a lot). I was a bit scared to even think about having more! This one was born in Northern Ireland in a very busy NHS hospital - I went home before he was 24 hours old.

I did change my mind though, and baby no3 was born in a private hospital in Hong Kong. She was 3 days late, and I was induced because I couldn't stand or sit comfortably. She was born 16 minutes after my waters broke, and weighed 8lb 8oz.

Mine are now 18, 15 and 12 and I remember it all as though it were this morning.

Oh I have gone all nostalgic now.
funny how talking about them being born does that I think it is because it is such a big event in our lives
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough

Hi there - my first - well my waters broke and nothing....still nothing and then after 48 hours they induced me - had an epidural - student doctor was having trouble so she did it again, and before I knew it I was paralized up to my neck - hey ho! Have got really low blood pressure at the best of times but hubby says it went really low (don't know completely out of it!) and I seemed to open my eyes to about 20 people in the room - Push? Jesus I suppose I tried?????? Anyway, our beautiful little girl was born by venteuse on her due date, 6lbs 9.5 oz and has been a wee smasher ever since!

next one....well...will let you know round about october 10th...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was a small baby: I didn't even look pregnant until 5 months. Everyone said I was fine. but I then put on 2 stone in a month, and BP went up from normal 100/60 to 145/90. Still no one bothered. I had contractions for a week 5 mins apart, and went to the doctor who said Braxton Hicks but booked me in for a scan the next day. Got to hospital (no OH as he was working and it was only a scan) and had scan- no fluid around baby and she was small for dates. Not allowed home, put on monitor and man with huge hands and crochet hook comes to break my non existant waters!! Ouch indeed -he managed to make me bleed. Still having contractions but now baby's heart was slowing down and not recovering- cord being compressed. Frantic attempts to get hold of OH, but his secretary wont leave her desk to get him out of a meeting!! Eventually contact is made and he gets on the train -it takes him 2 hours, just as they are giving me a spinal for an emergency c-section because I am not dilating and baby is distressed.
Into the operating theatre and they cut me open- the spinal has not worked properly and I can feel it. Husband holds my hand tightly and squeezes the needle really hard- more pain.
My baby girl is whipped out, rushed past my nose and off to SCBU whilst they knock me outand put me back together.OH goes with her. She is small- 4lbs 15oz with low blood sugar, but is healthy otherwise and relaxes under a sunlamp!
The hardest part for me is not being able to see my daughter for 24 hours- only a photo which shows her with a tube up her nose. Eventually I am wheeled to SCBU to see her and hold her for the first time. She is there for a week and we took her home when she weighed 5lbs. Now she is 12 and still slim- 6 stone- but lovely. Sadly I coudn't have any more, but then they might not have been as nice, and at least I have one- my poor friend had countless operations but in the end had to adopt.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for sharing.

I'm hoping to become an obstetrician, and will never tire of hearing about births
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

First boy arrived October 04, a week late if you believe the hospital dates, on time by my dates. After 2 days of pain, rushed to theatre for a c-section, just about to start then Doc said I can pull this baby out, so out he pulled Oliver, all 9lb 10oz of him!

Second boy, August 07 arrives 40 minutes after he started his journey, just managed to get into hospital (screaming help me, midwife said "looks like its too late for that"). Managed to get into a room, take my trousers on, my waters broke, laid on the bed, pushed and out he flew!! Then had to wait 2 hours for a Doctor to come and put me back together! Only 8lb 1oz the second time though.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Our wee man was born exactly on his due date 28th July 2004, however wasnt a quick labour,

I started taking contractions on the Monday evening at about tea time, so finally off we went to hospital at about 3am Tuesday morning.

When we arrived I was only 2 cm, so they hooked me up to the monitor and of course the contractions slowed down, so they sent me around to the maternity ward at about 9am Tuesday morning.

The consultant came round to see me at lunchtime and told me very bluntly you are not in labour go home, these are just braxton hicks and this could go on for up to two weeks . So off we went home and of course when I got home the contractions started again.

So two hot baths later, my mum made mark take me to hospital so we arrived at about 8.30pm Tuesday night, and I was 3cm so they admitted me, so we both though happy days here we go.

Got my epidual at about 11pm Tuesday night, but nothing was happening, so at about 3am Wednesday morning they gave me a drip to bring me on a bit, so at about 5am I was fully dilated so they told me to push, Just over 2 hours later Matthew finally arrived - lifeless!!!! It took them just over 25 minutes to bring him round, I cant really remember it being that long, I think because I was so exhasted, the midwife kept telling us everything was ok, and then about 4-5 doctors came running in with their beepers going mad, but then he finally cried, it wasnt until later that day when the midwife came to see me she said that we were very lucky to have him as he naerly died, I just couldnt believe it!

Looking back the signs were there, during the night when I was in labour, Mark kept watching the babies heart rate monitor, and it kept dropping when I took a contraction, and the midwife kept telling him it was ok and if it dropped below a certain rate, then to worry, and a couple of times it did this. Bacically the cord was around his neck and everytime I took a contraction it was getting tighter around his neck.

I was warned by my GP that I would have a long labour as when I was pregnant he was lying with his face out towards my bellybutton, rather than face in, so he had further to turn.

The scary thing is since I have had Matthew I have heard so many other people saying their babies were in the same position and that they had a hard birth, my sister included!

Sorry if this is a bit long winded

Gillian
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Great tales eh!!

Thanks for sharing them on my sons special day.

Looking forward to part 2 in 3 weeks when my youngest is 15!!

I left hospital with the first ( wearing 3 month old babies nappies at almost 11 pounds!!) saying a definate 'goodbye' for ever as I wasnt doing THAT again!!!

15 weeks later I was back in antenatal with a few of the faces from first time still there!!! How they laughed!!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Well here goes for my three. (warning long post)

No.1. Due on the 12th Aug, so sat in and waited....and waited....and waited. Was very young and naive at the time (only 19, being married and having a baby was all I wanted back then). Had been to parenting classes, been told to prepare for long 1st birth etc. which would gradually grow in its intensity. Well that was a bit misleading wasn't it? Next day as an act of defiance I decided to go shopping, over the weekend I was very active and on the Sunday night was actually skipping (yes skipping) with my best friends partner. Still nothing. Monday morning whilst in the house alone my contractions started with an almighty thump. Couldn't believe it, didn't have a phone (back in the day not all of us did) had to walk about 1/2 mile round our estate to in-laws house where I really terrified hubby's brother . Before I knew it dad came to get me, took me home to mums where her neighbor said the infamous "haven't you had that yet?" I could have leapt at her and grabbed her throat (Homer Simpson style) only I was in too much pain. An ambulance was called where they prepared for what seemed to be the imminent birth (bloody sirens going etc.) When got to hospital was completely dismissed by staff who claimed I couldn't possibly be in labour, put in room and left with timid husband who wouldn't get any help!!!! Finally my good old mum goes and gets someone to take a look - OMG - all systems go, I'm completely dilated and ready to push. Only then my son who was face to pubis got stuck. Epidural acquired after my mother steps in yet again. Kalends forceps later and seriously 4 drs pull him out. He looks like he's had 10 rounds with Tyson!!!!!!!! Weights 7lbs 2oz and I'm told he was much too big for me to deliver!!!!!! (I'm 4' 10'') I'm not looking too good either, week in hospital drinking Guinness then I'm allowed home. I remember every time a midwife came to check on me she would wince at my stitches!!!!!

No. 2.
After the first experience 4 1/2 years later I'm having epidural stamped on my notes at every pre-natal visit. After an uncomfortable night I ask my mate to come and look after 1st born whilst we go to the hospital, I'm not sure if I'm in established labour (as I've had a scare at about 36 weeks and was prepared for labour then) I'm now 39 weeks. Well labour took about 4 hours from the very first twinge, the B*tch in the room next door was given MY epidural as they said her need was greater and they thought I was too far along!!!!!:curse: I remember making full use of the gas and air and 'tripping' a bit, which was nice!!!!! I think I only pushed around 6 times and out my second son came weighing 5 1/2lbs. My relief was huge!

No. 3.
After more positive experience with No.2, 19 months later I'm sort of going with the flow a bit, contractions start early one morning. I'm looking forward to the gas and air and we make our way 10 mins up the road to Ascot to have No.3.
I remember being in a great deal of pain one min then not the next. Thinking my labour had stopped I politely say to the midwife, "if you don't mind I think I'll go home as its my sister 30th and we're out to eat this evening". With this she looks somewhat perplexed and says, "don't think so...I'm just about to break your waters and I think we're there. So one min I'm fine the next in the throws of very strong labour. I push once, midwife says, "just about six more pushes". All I can remember thinking was 'No way' I gave one almighty push and out my daughter came 6lbs 2oz.

I have to say that all of my children were born in a NHS hospital in Ascot Berks, where in fairness on the whole I was well looked after. The same midwife delivered No's 2 &3. I feel very blessed to have been so lucky and fortunate. Interesting fact, whilst in all three labors I never swore once! Which will come as a surprise to those who know me All I did was keep apologizing

Good luck to anyone out there expecting.

T x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

"Shelling Peas" Springs to mind

Here's My 3......... (sorry it's not more exciting !)

My son (11) was a 3 hour labour. ( I skipped to the labour, as the pregnancy was boring and uneventful, except for the craving for milk and frozen cucumber ) I had a contraction at home, took an hour to get to hospital in traffic, and after settling in and moving around a bit, they broke my waters for me and he arrived !!

Then 18 months after him I had TWINS

My waters broke at 5.00am, luckily when I was on the loo having my morning wee OH called the Hospital and told me to come in for a scan as I was 6 weeks too early and as we knew it was Twins, there could be complications with infections etc. We got to hospital and waited for them to set up the scanner to check me over. I had a scan, then went to the toilet. As I came back in the room, I just managed to remove my undies and get a leg on the bed (I could feel her head) and my first daughter 'shot out' Luckily the midwife was there waiting as I was shouting that she was coming out, even though she didn't believe me !! Out came the first, head first, and her sister came out feet first, at the end of the same contraction as I had turned over to get onto the bed properly Again completely boring and uneventful pregnancy, no issues, only 1 midwife visit, no cuts/tears, a bit boring really Because of the speed, they had no recorded 'labour time' so they just wrote it down as from the minute I got to Hospital to the afterbits, which in total was 20 minutes ...lol They were thereafter named "The 20 Minute Twins" ...lol

Last edited by Mally Lass; Jul 8th 2008 at 12:23 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:14 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go....

1, i was 17, did everything by the book...went 12 days late so i went in to be induced, fri eve i started getting twinges, sat am they put in the pessary, hour later im passing 'the plug/bloody jelly', another pessary at lunch time and i was in pain...using tens machine, (having decided i was doing it all drug free) that evening they sent ex oh home as nothing was happening, just awful back pain! Had another pessary at 6am sunday, was passing bloody gunk but waters hadnt broken, had a bath, still in awful back pain, monitor was picking up contractions and boy could i feel them, but only every 4/5 mins.
Sun eve they take me down to delivery suite as im in loads of pain, contractions ev 2 mins, 9pm midwife checks me and is horrified i was only 3cms, so was i, i couldnt believe it could hurt so much for so little progress..they knocked me out on pethadine for the night, 1st thing mon am i get put in a bath, still in pain, still ev 2 mins, still full blown on the monitor etc, then they broke my waters saying enough was enough, started an oxitocen drip to speed me up - which just made contractions worse and was killing my back, i then had a jnr doc looking up me with a nurse over his shoulder holding a torch! saying lets clip the baby, so monitor clips are stuck in this lil head they can see and feel...im a mess at this point, my bp was going up and down like a yoyo, i had a new horrid midewife saying i needed to grow up and stop moaning and making hard work of it all as i was only 6cms ( if i could have got hold of a weapon she would have had it), im being shoved and poked by all jnr docs at this point, my bp was racing so tey gave me drugs to lower it, they then decide to give me an epidural at 5pm, my bp then crashed as the 2 drugs reacted so was given other drugs to counter act it, and i was throwing up for fun, i was feeling like an experiment at this point and like i was being punished for being 17, i told them it wasnt working, i could feel everything but my legs, the babies heart was racing then dropping...my mum was now near hysteria and demanding a consultant came in...a consultant with the biggest hands in the world came in, had a grope, felt my tum and hit the big red button!
must have been 20 odd people running at me with needles...i passed out and was whisked off for an emergency c section..
Turned out that Jake had turned back to back with me with his face looking up and my pelvis had tilted, he could not have come out if they left me a week. My cervix was crushed with the pressure of his head and he'd been pushing using his legs as leverage so my cervix was so bruised it was shrinking not dialating....
Jake was 8.14, 60cms long(longest baby in hosp) rather yellow but healthy thank goodness, i had to stay in for a week cos i'd lost so much blood etc and was so poorly,
I got an apology from the hospital afterwards.

I found out i was pregnant when he was 6mths old and i cried so much...the consultant booked me in for a csection at 36 weeks to make sure i didnt go into labour, was offered epidural but opted for GA, Alicia was 8.10, wasnt breathing but they got her sorted.(4 weeks early ouch) they had a rummage and found my pelvis was tipped and didnt open.

N'3 was at a different hosp, went through my history very carefully, offered me a spinal with GA waiting as back up, lil M was 6.13 and perfect, delivery was fab.
N'4 was back at 1st hosp, had a spinal again, delivery was great and had lil man 7.10.

My N'1 was 17 last week, and i cant believe how fast it has gone, and hes still freakily tall...
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:01 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe my son will be 16 in September...... Iesu Grist!

Took over 30 mins getting stitched up, inside and out..... couldn't go to the loo for 7 days.... even with the medicenes they kept giving me, told them I went just so I could go home, my mam made me a veg soup, and pop, I went! Nice.

Second is 14 this month, 1 stitch inside and out, took nearly 30 mins, because apparently my mary was like leather after the stitching form the previous birth, also hurt a lot more than before, had to sit on the side and be careful when I laughed and coughed!!

Wouldn't change a minute of it for the world. Ahhh.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

My first was a caesarian - necessary 'cos he was breech. The second was a 'normal' delivery. In the labour room I said,more than once I believe, "NEVER AGAIN" and meant it.
Nuff said.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

My first was like an over cooked pot roast came out looking like a boxer at 11lb 4! he was a section think i would have still been trying to squeeze him out now if they had let it go naturally!! He is a young man now...
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:36 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

My first was a long and difficult birth and she went to special care for a few days. I was very worried about her for the 1st 24 hours. Luckily she was fine

It didn't put me off and number 2 was completely different.

I nearly had him in the car on the way to the hospital
He just popped out
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

My first one was 3 1/2 weeks early, developed pre-eclampsia, got the gel put on at 12pm Thursday, Doc said dont expect anything till at least Sunday, dont know where he got his calculations from 5 hours later i was screaming like a total banshee and asking to get this thing ripped out of my stomach...then the next breath i was growling that when i get off the bed i was going to kill all that was in the room....told the nurse i was going to be sick, hey ho she didnt listen!!! got rushed in for an emergency section only to be told they could see a head....Thank f**k i thought only to be told we need to give you an episiotomy, a what, whatever it is just do it....i was 22 and didnt go to alot of the classess, god i wish i had, anyway they managed to get her out....walked like John wayne for about 10 days and felt like i was peeing glass but she was healthy remember uttering the words never ever ever again......

No 2: Really good pregnancy, Brilliant labour...didnt know i was in labour, waters broke, no pain as yet, went to the hospital was 8cms.... 1hr 45 mins later a little 5lb 12oz boy.... husband uttered the words god that was a piece of p**s, he was away for the first one....

No 3: I know got a boy and girl why would i need another one.....umm, something to do!!!love stress, He came a week early, after blood pressure climbing again, they decided i need a sweep, OMG how sore is that...jesus thought i was gonna kick the doc in the face,Broke my waters the next morning at 7.20am, husband away for this one, ears ringing its gonna be another sore one, my mum with me, at 7.45am asked if they had any pain relief, to be asked what i want, Stupid question me thinks when i am in pain, anyway after explaining this i got gas/air, at 8am told the midwife i need to push....shall we have a look she says, yea best....snap my legs when in to lock down and wouldnt open...Me saying i cant she saying i can, after a tyrant of abuse, my little cherub came out...

Never ever again....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.