Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Childbirth - Your stories

Childbirth - Your stories

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:55 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childbirth - Your stories

Originally Posted by spartacus
After the first (30 hours) was expecting similar. About an hour from "I think its starting" to "I think its coming!"
no two births are ever the same !
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Nick Gill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
After the first (30 hours) was expecting similar. About an hour from "I think its starting" to "I think its coming!"
Bloody hell !!!!!!!

I never in a million years thought I would still be in the hospital after 23 hours let alone no where nearer to delivering the little darling (he's 9 now BTW)

They say it gets easier - always one to prove them wrong - eh??????????????
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Isnt it funny!! I read all the books and expected to do the ironing or go for walks for the first 10 hours or something!!!

Woke up in hospital just after midnight with pains every 2 minutes immediatley!!! Also couldnt understand why I couldnt stopp weeing!!! Niave or what!!!

They took me to the labour ward to stop me from waking all the other girls up i was so loud!!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
no two births are ever the same !
Originally Posted by Nick Gill
Bloody hell !!!!!!!
Indeed!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:16 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Our first daughter came two weeks early. I got up at 9am on Sunday morning to go for a wee and my waters broke whilst I was sat on the loo. Contractions started three hours later, went to hospital six hours after they started. Took another 9 hours of contractions (including 3 hours pushing) for her to be born. She was 7lb6oz and did a big wee all over my hubby!

Our second daughter I was induced on my due date because of some problems I had with my pelvis. Induced at 11am, contractions started just after 12. Moved to delivery at 6pm and had her at 1013pm. No pushing this time. I just felt funny (gas & air) so I sent hubby to fetch the midwife. She examined me just as Charlottes head crowned! She was 7lb 9.5oz. I remember it like it was yesterday - she is only 20 weeks old!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:44 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was born 23 hrs after water breaking (thought I`d peed myself to begin with) 8lb 13oz, all was going well until the hubby of the woman in the next room fainted, everyone disappeared to sort him out!! He was kicking up a fuss when he woke up too because they made him go to hospital to get checked out (he was worried he`d miss the birth)
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:23 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by justsarah
My little boy is sweet 16 today!!!

I cant believe its 16 years since I turned up at our local hospital 15 days overdue and had NO IDEA what I was at the beginning of this huge roller coaster that is parenthood!!!

He took 13 hours to arrive and was a bouncing 10lb 12 1/2 oz on arrival!!

Still 12 months and 3 weeks later his brother was 5 days overdue, took 8 hours to arrive and was a very neat 11lbs exactly!!

Needless to say I didnt do THAT again!!!!!

Lets have your little tales of pregnancy, birth, motherhood etc .....

My youngest birthday was today too - 6th July - what a great day!

mind you he sure didnt want to come out! Planned C-section (cant do natural, pelvic problems), went horribly wrong, 5 tries with epidural, 3 broken needles, once opened up couldnt get him out, was totally stuck, OB ended up on the table straddling me trying to yank him out, my BP crashed, I had been open twice the amount of time I should have been, they hit the panic button, in rushed the head baby puller and team, did an upcut to one side, popped out babes shoulder, whacked in the forceps and dragged him out. He looked a mess, I dont remember as was then knocked out for 24 hours.

first c-section my waters actually broke at home, went in for a check, never had a single contraction and 36 hours after waters broke they decided to do the c-section ..... an absoloute doddle, perfect 8lb bouncer came smiling into the world, what a different story!

Last edited by username 34; Jul 7th 2008 at 12:25 am.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:10 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

After consuming Castor Oil (not recommended) and having what could laughing be described as 'sex' I went to sleep....I was 9 days overdue and was determined not to be induced as I had heard terrible tales of induced births!! I awoke at Midnight in Labour and lay in the dark silently timing the contractions.....

We drove to the Hospital 30 minutes away....every lump, bump and roundabout was sheer agony. I was so sacred of giving birth and now it was actually happening to me! Despite this I really didn't want an epidural and survived with gas an air until in an error of judgment (and excruciating agony) demanded Pethidine.........after drifting in and out of drug induced sleep I gave birth to my Daughter (7lb 8oz) after 12 hours of labour

Fourteen months later I was back in the delivery suite....this time having consumed the Castor Oil, eaten curry, gone for a really fast walk/waddle...but feeling too ill to attempt sex this time Number 2 arrived two hours after the first twinge.....I was shaking all over from the quickness of it all. A baby boy 9lb 1oz ( 1 week early)........

Never one to learn my lesson I went back for more...lost 1 and had an Ectopic Pregnancy(the worse pain ever ), nearly losing my own life too....

Not put off.....two years or so after the last birth I was 2 weeks overdue and being Induced (eeek!) The gel was put in around lunchtime and for the whole day I suffered period pain type cramps.....nothing much was happening so Hubby was sent home and I was put to bed with a sleeping pill and Paracetamol I realised that I had left my bra on and twisted to take it off........'pop' my waters broke.....ALL SYSTEMS GO! and cue instant agony!! The gas and air was quickly found and all was well until the baby got stuck....the emergency bell was rung and the room flooded with people...I was duely folded in half and the baby hauled out in the nick of time.....A baby girl 9lb 3oz. Amazingly I suffered no injury myself....and I recall to this day my Husband (always the romantic) saying that from then on "I could go Parachuting without a Parachute".....blinkin' cheek!!!

We emigrated to Australia in 2004....I was steaming towards 40 and had an 'odd' number of children......any excuse .....the pills went in the bin and 5 months later I was bouncing around at the news that I was to have a baby boy to complete our family (the first time I had known the sex in advance) Being that much older and fatter this time around I developed Gestational Diabetes...the baby grew huge and it was decided that he would be delivered by caesarian especially after what happened in my previous birth. So number 4 was lifted calmly from my belly 2 weeks prematurely (a boy 9lb 4oz) There were friendly sugeons joking and traditional jazz playing in the background....a very different experience from my deep animalistic,cave woman yelling during natural delivery LOL!

That's it for me then ....no more babies I'm both really sad and also relieved at the prospect.

Just gotta wait for the Grandchildren I suppose

The 'cherubs' are now 10,nearly 9, 6 1/2 and nearly 3 :0)

Last edited by Jan4kids; Jul 7th 2008 at 1:25 am. Reason: Added a photo
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:20 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
After consuming Castor Oil (not recommended) and having what could laughing be described as 'sex' I went to sleep....
This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing your stories.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:27 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

1st arrived on the due date, I didn't believe I was in labour as it was my back that hurt and there were no gaps just pain turns out I wasn't having gaps between the contractions when put on the monitor. son arrived after 7 hours with his hand on his head holding the midwives hand!!

second son arrived after 2 hours of fairly easy labour 1 month early!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Rushed into hospital two and a half weeks early with No.1. I couldn't breathe properly, which was getting scary. They didn't know what was wrong with me and it looked like I was in an episode of ER - consultant after consultant trying to diagnose me (needed Dr House I think). Finally, decided I had pre-eclampsia even though blood tests were coming back fine. This was turning into HELLP syndrome (which I'd never heard of) and my liver was swelling which was pushing against my diaphragm which is why I couldn't breathe well. Nice. I was NIL by mouth for 5 hours (the lack of water was my worst memory!) before they decided on an emergency C-section.

I also had placental abruption at the time of delivery - so was extremely lucky. Also lucky that Amelia was very healthy and 6lb 2oz. I continued to be very ill afterwards with my platelet levels plummeting. Still managed to come home after 4 nights and had no lasting damage.

Managed to avoid pre-eclampsia during my second pregnancy and tried to avoid a C-section, but they would only let me go 9 days over. Probably just as well as she was 9lb 8oz. Had another problematic C-section and had to undergo a follow-up hernia op. Never been the same since - have managed to strengthen up my core muscles, but the rest of my stomach muscles are buggered.

Just as well I didn't go for a third I think
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest was 6 yesterday. She was induced as 10 days over, about 30 hours of labour and then an emergency section. First daughter was a New Years Day baby and from start to finish was about 5 hours. Thought second would be easier
Attached Thumbnails Childbirth - Your stories-lauren-birthday-2008-018.jpg  

Last edited by northernbird; Jul 7th 2008 at 4:59 am.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

what a lovely birthday cake you got her
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
what a lovely birthday cake you got her
I made it myself
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:44 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we all love to hear and share out childbirth stories?

My oldest was born 7 hours after my waters broke, just before they wheeled me off to have a c-section I managed to give birth. He was 9lb 5oz. I hoped he was a fluke. I was induced when he was 7 days late due to high blood pressure. I had this one in a military hospital in Berlin

My 2nd was also overdue, 10 days this time. He arrived a little easier than his brother 2 hours after my waters broke. He was 9lb 14oz! They had trouble getting him to breathe due to the pethidine they had given me and that was a bit worrying (ok a lot). I was a bit scared to even think about having more! This one was born in Northern Ireland in a very busy NHS hospital - I went home before he was 24 hours old.

I did change my mind though, and baby no3 was born in a private hospital in Hong Kong. She was 3 days late, and I was induced because I couldn't stand or sit comfortably. She was born 16 minutes after my waters broke, and weighed 8lb 8oz.

Mine are now 18, 15 and 12 and I remember it all as though it were this morning.

Oh I have gone all nostalgic now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.