Chemotherapy

Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemotherapy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Molly, unfortunately it didn't turn out well. My sister woke up early Monday morning with a horrifically high temp - I called an ambulance and she was taken to the regional hospital before being transferred via ambulance to Perth.

Tests have yet to confirm the cause of the fever, her doctors suspect a viral infection but have started her on 2 IV antibiotics as a necessary precaution against a possible bacterial infection. She also has sudden onset of a prominent heart murmur and an abnormally high heart rate. She's not critical, but she's seriously ill.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and suggestions above, really appreciate it.
God love her.I hope she responds quickly to the treatment.Thinking of you all.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Molly, unfortunately it didn't turn out well. My sister woke up early Monday morning with a horrifically high temp - I called an ambulance and she was taken to the regional hospital before being transferred via ambulance to Perth.

Tests have yet to confirm the cause of the fever, her doctors suspect a viral infection but have started her on 2 IV antibiotics as a necessary precaution against a possible bacterial infection. She also has sudden onset of a prominent heart murmur and an abnormally high heart rate. She's not critical, but she's seriously ill.

Oh SOS so sorry to hear that, your poor sister. Fingers crossed she is on the mend soon, thinking of you x
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Oh noooo! Really sorry to hear that. Keep us updated please Spouse.
for you.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

the doctors get things sorted quickly for your sister. Thinking of you xx
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they can get on top of whatever is causing the fever - if it is viral then she needs to be on anti-virals as antibiotics are effective against bacteria, not viruses. If something is attacking the heart muscle they really need to get results asap. (I had scarlet fever as a child, that left me with a permanent heart murmur because it wasn't caught until I was delirious with a temp of 104.) It might be something like septicaemia (can't spell it?) as if she is on chemo she is more vulnerable to infections. Whatever it is, I have my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks girls. She's a little better today and her temp has stopped spiking. Her heart rate has slowed, although is still too high, and she's having continuous oxygen support. The murmur is still present, but it's not as prominent.
She was coherent and had some soup, and was able to get out of bed for shower and loo. She's also well hydrated.

Caroline, agree with all that. Di has had the best of medical care from the get-go - the regional hospital liaised with her Perth based oncologist the entire time. She's had an echo-cardiogram and her heart's fine, but they're still unable to determine the cause of the fever. She's had a lot of bloods and urine tests. Until they know for sure if it's viral or bacterial, they need to continue with the IV abs, this is also a prophylactic against febrile neutropenia. They're doing more bloods tonight, inflammatory markers (ESR and CRP).

Will let you know how she's going. She really is looking and feeling better and even managed a few laughs.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to say - she was still a bit spacey this morning from all the drugs. I was sitting by her bed thinking she was asleep, when out of the blue she started singing. I suppose 'I'm A Little Teapot' could have been a reference to her chemo beanie, but I'm being charitable there. Am I going to take the mickey out of her when she's better
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Glad there is an improvement- love the singing part!!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks girls. She's a little better today and her temp has stopped spiking. Her heart rate has slowed, although is still too high, and she's having continuous oxygen support. The murmur is still present, but it's not as prominent.
She was coherent and had some soup, and was able to get out of bed for shower and loo. She's also well hydrated.

Caroline, agree with all that. Di has had the best of medical care from the get-go - the regional hospital liaised with her Perth based oncologist the entire time. She's had an echo-cardiogram and her heart's fine, but they're still unable to determine the cause of the fever. She's had a lot of bloods and urine tests. Until they know for sure if it's viral or bacterial, they need to continue with the IV abs, this is also a prophylactic against febrile neutropenia. They're doing more bloods tonight, inflammatory markers (ESR and CRP).

Will let you know how she's going. She really is looking and feeling better and even managed a few laughs.
Meant to say - she was still a bit spacey this morning from all the drugs. I was sitting by her bed thinking she was asleep, when out of the blue she started singing. I suppose 'I'm A Little Teapot' could have been a reference to her chemo beanie, but I'm being charitable there. Am I going to take the mickey out of her when she's better
Glad she's feeling a bit better xx
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Ha that made me laugh, drugs can do funny things to a person. When I was in labour and out of it on pethidine, apparently I asked the midwife where my husband was and said oh that's right he gone to basketball, well when he gets back tell him I've given birth to a loaf of bread and I want to know if he wants butter on it? Then I said oh I'm talking crap, he doesn't like basketball he likes football!
Hope she is feeling better today SOS xx
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Glad she's feeling a bit better.

Keep your chin up Spouse. Sounds like you're doing a great job, keeping her company.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:59 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
Ha that made me laugh, drugs can do funny things to a person. When I was in labour and out of it on pethidine, apparently I asked the midwife where my husband was and said oh that's right he gone to basketball, well when he gets back tell him I've given birth to a loaf of bread and I want to know if he wants butter on it? Then I said oh I'm talking crap, he doesn't like basketball he likes football!
Hope she is feeling better today SOS xx
I hate having a general anaesthetic, God knows what indiscretions I might reveal!

Thanks for the lovely messages, girls. Di's docs have finally managed to isolate the problem, a CT scan today showed she has viral pneumonia in her left lung. So targeted antiviral therapy (as predicted by Caroline!) and a continuation of the prophylactic IV antibiotics, as a precaution against the infection becoming bacterial. She's already feeling a bit better.

Gawd. As I said at the start of this thread - huge respect to anyone who's going through/has been through chemo, and also to all the people who love and support them
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hate having a general anaesthetic, God knows what indiscretions I might reveal!

Thanks for the lovely messages, girls. Di's docs have finally managed to isolate the problem, a CT scan today showed she has viral pneumonia in her left lung. So targeted antiviral therapy (as predicted by Caroline!) and a continuation of the prophylactic IV antibiotics, as a precaution against the infection becoming bacterial. She's already feeling a bit better.

Gawd. As I said at the start of this thread - huge respect to anyone who's going through/has been through chemo, and also to all the people who love and support them
I am so glad they have found the cause. Hope the anti virals work quickly.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:54 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I am so glad they have found the cause. Hope the anti virals work quickly.
Thanks Caroline. I'm going to break her out of there tomorrow - she's improved so much that she can go home

She was supposed to have her third round of chemo this Thursday, but that won't be happening. I hope it doesn't disrupt her treatment too much - not sure what the go is when these things happen, if she just picks up where she left off or (please no) she has to start all over again.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Caroline. I'm going to break her out of there tomorrow - she's improved so much that she can go home

She was supposed to have her third round of chemo this Thursday, but that won't be happening. I hope it doesn't disrupt her treatment too much - not sure what the go is when these things happen, if she just picks up where she left off or (please no) she has to start all over again.
I am really pleased to hear that she is so much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.