Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Check your Privilege

Check your Privilege

Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:33 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Check your Privilege

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've noticed it too : I think it's because i) comments sections give everyone a microphone, an outlet and ii) the GFC, especially in Europe really has seemed to create a bit of a chip on people's shoulder : or it's always been there and social media amplifies it (see point i) I was under the impression that all this consumer choice had liberated people but clearly not.
It's a related, but different, area - but have you noticed how we globally have turned inwards?

I was listening to music from the 60s and 70s and it struck me that the sentiments were often about getting out there, doing something, making a difference, freedom and the frontier.

Today, I don't think I can think of one lyric that was positive and expansionary (or even particularly thoughtful). As a global culture we seem to have stopped thinking we can find that free and better life 'out there'.

Instead we seem to be looking inward, squabbling inside tribes, bemoaning the other (seeing the threat) rather than welcoming them (and seeing the +ve side), not looking at how we can be better, but looking at how much it will cost and how much we (and others) have. And sex of course, always sex.

Was it the focus on money/cost that drove an inward focus, or was it turning backs on 'science making things better' and exploration that pushed money and fear in as a replacement? Either way, it seems to have been in the 70s that things changed. Since then the developments have all driven things more inward looking - and created inward focused communication that seeks the exclusionary tribe.

Which ties in with another thing I noticed. People are always crunched over and around their mobile phones - communicating with others by looking inward. There's something that happens to your brain when you look down and close at hand ....