Cheap specs

Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Cheap specs

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Having been a fitter of glasses in my previous life I can tell you that for the most part of prescriptions below -/+3.50 your PD is not always needed, but above that getting the lenses in the optimum centre of the glasses for your eyes is important. If you are sensitive to slight changes in your prescription not having the correct PD will be noticeably. I am assuming that online providers of glasses will just be taking the centre of the glass frame to the PD. If you have a high prescription its worth trying glasses of the similar size in an opticians and asking them to tell you what the PD is.

You cant take it yourself, its too difficult. You need to have someone with an accurate measuring ruler to take it for you.

Also, some countries do write down their prescriptions differently but there is a simple formula that all opticians have been taught to transpose it to the way which works for their company. You shouldn't have any probs getting a copy of your prescription, although I know of a big firm in the UK who makes it difficult to give them out.

Luckily my perscription included the PD, so I included this in the perscription I sent to googles4U. They do ask for the PD so obvioulsy make the glasses to the correct perscripion. Anyway I am pleased with mine and as I dont have a straightforward perscription my glasses and contact lenses always used to cost a fortune, so I am super happy at the prices they charge!

Mel

Last edited by melibeam; Oct 5th 2006 at 7:06 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:28 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheap specs

Received my glasses on Friday, they arrived exactly 2 weeks from the day I ordered them. They are great, but, as I thought, I did have to have them fitted at the optician in our local shopping centre as they were lopsided as always! Luckily they were more than happy to fit them free of charge.

Tracey x
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:57 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Received my glasses on Friday, they arrived exactly 2 weeks from the day I ordered them. They are great, but, as I thought, I did have to have them fitted at the optician in our local shopping centre as they were lopsided as always! Luckily they were more than happy to fit them free of charge.

Tracey x
Great to have a specs success story...

However, you could always have plastic surgery to correct that fault as if every pair of specs is lop sided think it's def the wearer and not the specs... .
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey x

Great! Did you get transition lenses? Hope that u saved a load of cash.

Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:07 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Great! Did you get transition lenses? Hope that u saved a load of cash.

No, I just got the normal lenses but I might order another pair with the transition lenses.

Tracey x
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:09 am
Hilton`s

Originally Posted by annqldau
Great to have a specs success story...

However, you could always have plastic surgery to correct that fault as if every pair of specs is lop sided think it's def the wearer and not the specs... .
Ooh that`s a thought! But I don`t think my husband would cough up for any more surgery! Lol

Tracey x
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:25 am

Ooh that`s a thought! But I don`t think my husband would cough up for any more surgery! Lol

Tracey x
I bet you've got one of those spec chains that rests on your chest and thought you better get them to lie leval there first... .
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:52 am
Hilton`s

I bet you've got one of those spec chains that rests on your chest and thought you better get them to lie leval there first... .
Never!

Tracey x
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:25 pm

Never!

Tracey x
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone still using Goggles4U?

Any further comments?

Hub broke his glasses this morning so have sent him the link ...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Further to my comment above - I've had to *try* and replace the varifocals after a disagreement between my old US ones and the shower...

The US ones cost US$276, inc. frames, varifocals and transition lenses. The Oz ones were quoted as $780 - lenses only!

When they came they were impossible to see through - I was better off without them. They re-made the lenses and if anything they were even worse: each lens individually was not too bad - but together....

So, when you get specs here, make sure you test drive them before parting with any cash!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Wol
Further to my comment above - I've had to *try* and replace the varifocals after a disagreement between my old US ones and the shower...

The US ones cost US$276, inc. frames, varifocals and transition lenses. The Oz ones were quoted as $780 - lenses only!

When they came they were impossible to see through - I was better off without them. They re-made the lenses and if anything they were even worse: each lens individually was not too bad - but together....

So, when you get specs here, make sure you test drive them before parting with any cash!
Where did they come from?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Where did they come from?
An optician here in Bowral - they are Rodenstock Australia lenses. The US ones were Rodenstock USA.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Wol
An optician here in Bowral - they are Rodenstock Australia lenses. The US ones were Rodenstock USA.
So it was the $780 ones that you couldn't see through... at that price I'd want lazer vision.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ditto goggles4u. U get the same product that you would otherwise have, as it is made to exactly the same prescription, same measurements etc.
Thanks for that, I used to work with low income families in Perth and spent a great deal of my expensive time begging charities etc to help get the kids glasses for school.... Just going to let all the agencies who have similiar problems know of this.

Brilliant and thankyou

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.