Change is Good

Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change is Good

Originally Posted by fish.01
As I said I am a professional developer
Then you should really know better. That said I work with 100's of developers who fail to understand UI design and the commercial aspects of selling tech. Their code is awesome though ........ after you steer them in the right direction.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 2:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
I thought so. ......... but that's a good thing ..... people hate change.

Interestingly I was at a party last night and a couple of lads were moaning about the battery life on their iphone 6's, so I pulled out the Note and said why don't you get one of these. Then one guy said "I'm so used to the iphone, I can't be arsed learning a new phone" ........ giggles giggles giggles .......

Change is good.
Sounds like an awesome party
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Then you should really know better. That said I work with 100's of developers who fail to understand UI design and the commercial aspects of selling tech. Their code is awesome though ........ after you steer them in the right direction.
Wow, you're my hero
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Change is Good

I don't embrace change readily but accept that it is important. I've not read the whole thread because I'm also very lazy but from your initial post it sounds like you are finding it difficult to convince others.

Sure everyone pretends they like change but few people really do, we'd just like to sit in our boxes banging on a keyboards and ignoring our ever mounting piles of work .

Answer the question of what's in it for us? Sure the organisation may grow much faster and shareholders will be happy but what's in this for the the humble yet self-interested employee? Everyone has a strategy, we are drowning in bloody strategy but so few ever get executed in any meaningful way that strategies may as well be an Ethiopian child's Christmas wishlist.

Beyond self interest, complacency and arrogance however there are other good reason strategies fail. For example companies build relationships that are the key to their success but those relationships can become shackles over time that limit what a company is likely to achieve by locking them into a trajectory. Think of Compaq in the 90's which grew to be a one of the biggest PC manufacturers based on an excellent dealership network and the strong relationships it had built. However when Dell came along and sold computers through direct channels. Compaq couldn't just do the same thing because bypassing the dealers (who had been key to their success). Compaq knew what had happened, their executives where obsessed with Dell but they couldn't emulate that business model. Managers had explicitly spent so long reinforcing their commitment to dealers to build their business that they no longer felt they could opt out. Compaq did eventually relent and sell PCs online but for a long time you nearly needed a degree in computer science to actually buy one.

Sky didn't become Netflix and GM didn't become Tesla. Both preempted and understood the change that was about to come, both had strategies but neither had leadership teams that could do little but steward the existing organisation. Banks see that fintech will "move their cheese" but none will be able to participate because they lack the leadership, technical ability, willingness to take chances (culture?), flexibility and agility to delight customers etc. It's not enough to be a well managed company is vigilant and doesn't become arrogant or complacent any more.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Sounds like an awesome party
It fnished early. Thank Sydney's lockout laws. Some people haven't embraced the change of hosting parties away from the city.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I don't embrace change readily but accept that it is important. I've not read the whole thread because I'm also very lazy but from your initial post it sounds like you are finding it difficult to convince others.

Sure everyone pretends they like change but few people really do, we'd just like to sit in our boxes banging on a keyboards and ignoring our ever mounting piles of work .

Answer the question of what's in it for us? Sure the organisation may grow much faster and shareholders will be happy but what's in this for the the humble yet self-interested employee? Everyone has a strategy, we are drowning in bloody strategy but so few ever get executed in any meaningful way that strategies may as well be an Ethiopian child's Christmas wishlist.

Beyond self interest, complacency and arrogance however there are other good reason strategies fail. For example companies build relationships that are the key to their success but those relationships can become shackles over time that limit what a company is likely to achieve by locking them into a trajectory. Think of Compaq in the 90's which grew to be a one of the biggest PC manufacturers based on an excellent dealership network and the strong relationships it had built. However when Dell came along and sold computers through direct channels. Compaq couldn't just do the same thing because bypassing the dealers (who had been key to their success). Compaq knew what had happened, their executives where obsessed with Dell but they couldn't emulate that business model. Managers had explicitly spent so long reinforcing their commitment to dealers to build their business that they no longer felt they could opt out. Compaq did eventually relent and sell PCs online but for a long time you nearly needed a degree in computer science to actually buy one.

Sky didn't become Netflix and GM didn't become Tesla. Both preempted and understood the change that was about to come, both had strategies but neither had leadership teams that could do little but steward the existing organisation. Banks see that fintech will "move their cheese" but none will be able to participate because they lack the leadership, technical ability, willingness to take chances (culture?), flexibility and agility to delight customers etc. It's not enough to be a well managed company is vigilant and doesn't become arrogant or complacent any more.
Sort of nails it really.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

**Sky didn't become Netflix and GM didn't become Tesla. Both preempted and understood the change that was about to come, both had strategies but neither had leadership teams that could do little but steward the existing organisation.**

GM however did spawn off Saturn: they realised that Detroit was a fiefdom of the unions and designed a range of cars that were built in a greenfield site factory in Springfield. They didn't take on people who were embedded in the car industry except vital engineers and designers, the cars were built by teams and my Saturn was in most ways the best car I've owned. The dedicated dealership sold at the sticker price: no haggling - they set the price competitively and people bought them.

Everything was simple, in exactly the right position, the body was largely plastic and the design, when we sold it 12 years later looked still state of the art and showroom fresh.

GM did change, and it was for the good customer-wise. Unfortunately the GFC sent them to the wall Saturn-wise.

Last edited by Wol; Feb 28th 2016 at 4:46 am.