Change is Good

Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change is Good

Originally Posted by GarryP
Didn't say where they were, said where they were going. Change is good.

Sure, everyone wants ads on their lockscreen don't they. Change is good?

Where did you find that feature?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Where did you find that feature?
Microsoft Put Ads On The Windows 10 Lock Screen | Digital Trends
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Big deal. Turn it off. How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen

You are too focussed in the weeds. I couldn't even tell you what's on my lock screen and if I gave a hoot I'd put a photo of my mother or something weird on there. Windows will still be big stable money earner for Microsoft.

You do get where this is all headed don't you? Microsoft will be forcing you and your gadgets to join the ecosystem.

Of course the ecosystem doesn't build clubs and nor is it a selling point. Devices sell. Look at Apple's revenue.

What Microsoft is doing, like Apple did 10-15 years, is developing its own "must have" devices. Big money in devices. See Apple. Retention money is in the OS, the SQL, the Windows Server.

They've already done it with the Xbox.

So .......

Enter The laplet - nighty night laptop. Nighty night iPad ...
Already happening

Enter the Hololens - nighty night mobile phone. Something Microsoft will struggle to dominate. If you can't dominate it, replace it.

See where this is all headed. Devices and clubs = $$$$$$$.

Just check out who's share price has increase the most in the last 6 months. It might tell you something.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

*Better get yourself on Windows 10 then.

Another who has resisted change*

OK - I'll bite!

Speaking as someone who has twice "up"graded (my quotes) my W7 to W10, with both "up"grades giving a torrent of problems I think I can speak with some authority.

If I was the only one I would probably say it was me, my comfuser or whatever: thousands of blogs' posters say otherwise.

A perfectly good operating system: CHANGE: an OS that gives many many users problems.

Change is good when it is good, bad when it isn't.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
*Better get yourself on Windows 10 then.

Another who has resisted change*

OK - I'll bite!

Speaking as someone who has twice "up"graded (my quotes) my W7 to W10, with both "up"grades giving a torrent of problems I think I can speak with some authority.

If I was the only one I would probably say it was me, my comfuser or whatever: thousands of blogs' posters say otherwise.

A perfectly good operating system: CHANGE: an OS that gives many many users problems.

Change is good when it is good, bad when it isn't.
I'm curious. Can you list these problems?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Big deal. Turn it off. How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen

You are too focussed in the weeds. I couldn't even tell you what's on my lock screen and if I gave a hoot I'd put a photo of my mother or something weird on there. Windows will still be big stable money earner for Microsoft.

You do get where this is all headed don't you? Microsoft will be forcing you and your gadgets to join the ecosystem.
Err, well actually what MS have been doing is pissing everyone off with duff moves and rampant stupidity.

Windows 10 was their "we made a mess of Win 8, so we are fixing it with 10 and giving it to you for free. However, when people realised how MS were misbehaving in doing that, the adoption of Win 10 stopped. MS have been getting desperate, trying to push Win 10 as basic 'recommended' update through their system.

When you actually look at the big picture, you see this as the moment where MS started the fall. The only ecosystem they have is that of business, and they have been neglecting them; using them as a cash cow. They have failed at doing anything new, and that business system is moving and shifting under them.

I'm sure you remember IBM and "nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM". However, they took their eye off the ball, even as they attempted, ineffectually, to keep up - and the PC revolution resulted. Where's IBM now?

I'm not really seeing how MS can avoid ending up as a services and IP company. Even a Win 11 isn't going to pull them back now.

But, as you are so fond of saying, change is good....
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Err, well actually what MS have been doing is pissing everyone off with duff moves and rampant stupidity.

Windows 10 was their "we made a mess of Win 8, so we are fixing it with 10 and giving it to you for free. However, when people realised how MS were misbehaving in doing that, the adoption of Win 10 stopped. MS have been getting desperate, trying to push Win 10 as basic 'recommended' update through their system.

When you actually look at the big picture, you see this as the moment where MS started the fall. The only ecosystem they have is that of business, and they have been neglecting them; using them as a cash cow. They have failed at doing anything new, and that business system is moving and shifting under them.

I'm sure you remember IBM and "nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM". However, they took their eye off the ball, even as they attempted, ineffectually, to keep up - and the PC revolution resulted. Where's IBM now?

I'm not really seeing how MS can avoid ending up as a services and IP company. Even a Win 11 isn't going to pull them back now.

But, as you are so fond of saying, change is good....
Garry. Sorry mate you are talking out your arse and I see right through your rubbish.

1. You have weird arse hang up about lying and anything you deem against your high and mighty principles you label a liar.

2. You are a Google fanboy and blind to all else.

3. Your focus is history. Microsoft did take its eye off the ball last decade. That is no secret. That Balmer history has ended. Have you actually looked at the numbers?

Mate. People don't care like you think they do. People don't see Windows 8 as a misbehaving execise. Do you really think the Windows OS is the bulk of Microsoft's revenue? Jeez man ......... just take a good hard honest look .............. don't lie to yourself in the process
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious. Can you list these problems?
How long have you got? (I'm serious)

I only started to make a log of W10 problems after a week or so of my first try at the OS, and quickly filled two A4 pages of issues. That was six months ago and I don't have the list now.

Two of the most serious were:

1) Programs disappeared: all of a sudden a desktop shortcut to a program would not do anything, whereas the previous day it started that program. Looking at start> programs> "that program" would show its folder as "empty". Looking at the program files folder would show the program folder, but right clicking it to look at what it contained would bring up the revolving "working" icon - indefinitely. This froze the entire computer. The only way of regaining it was pulling the power plug (losing everything that was being worked on.) The next boot showed the shortcut - which worked normally! This happened on numerous occasions with different programs.

Microsoft have opened a store in Sydney: I went in to bend their ear and an agent admitted that I was far from being the only person reporting this.

2) The disgraceful updating policy whereby M$ update W10 at their convenience causes all sorts of issues. On a slow ADSL connection all of a sudden your internet work freezes because masses of data is pouring in. Is it a virus? is it an update? Who knows. I can imagine that, for example, on a cruise ship with perhaps a thousand W10 users sharing a slow satellite connection the internet would be unusable.

This is not the place to vent on one thing but you get my drift. Change in this case has been a disaster. For me and many others - just have a look at the web and see how many have reverted to W7/8.1

Last edited by Wol; Feb 25th 2016 at 11:01 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Took your advice Beoz...changed my windows box at work to a mac mini. So bloody great. Thank you...change is good
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
Took your advice Beoz...changed my windows box at work to a mac mini. So bloody great. Thank you...change is good
If that works for you great. Choice is also good. Unfortunately for me and most businesses out there, a Mac isn't an option. Boot Camp just won't cut the mustard on all. Plus no sensible company would want the added cost.

But if you've joined the club, cost is never a stumbling block
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol

I only started to make a log of W10 problems after a week or so of my first try at the OS, and quickly filled two A4 pages of issues. That was six months ago and I don't have the list now.

1) Programs disappeared: all of a sudden a desktop shortcut to a program would not do anything, whereas the previous day it started that program. Looking at start> programs> "that program" would show its folder as "empty". Looking at the program files folder would show the program folder, but right clicking it to look at what it contained would bring up the revolving "working" icon - indefinitely. This froze the entire computer. The only way of regaining it was pulling the power plug (losing everything that was being worked on.) The next boot showed the shortcut - which worked normally! This happened on numerous occasions with different programs.

Microsoft have opened a store in Sydney: I went in to bend their ear and an agent admitted that I was far from being the only person reporting this.

2) The disgraceful updating policy whereby M$ update W10 at their convenience causes all sorts of issues. On a slow ADSL connection all of a sudden your internet work freezes because masses of data is pouring in. Is it a virus? is it an update? Who knows. I can imagine that, for example, on a cruise ship with perhaps a thousand W10 users sharing a slow satellite connection the internet would be unusable.

This is not the place to vent on one thing but you get my drift. Change in this case has been a disaster. For me and many others - just have a look at the web and see how many have reverted to W7/8.1
So on 2 turn it off. They have a choice in the out of the box. Its either No Updates or Updates. I choose Updates. You choose No Updates. Its far from a disgraceful policy. Its just a user preference.

On 1, not seen it myself, but if as common as you say then find the fix. Maybe its this. Solved Missing applications in Start Menu after upgrading from 7 to 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Don't you think you are making a beef here for the sake of it? You have a choice, limit yourself on Win 7 or just get used to Win 10 and get all the added advantages. All software releases with a glitch or 2. Name one that doesn't? Updates come and it fixes. If retro is your thing happy days I guess you'll never know what you are missing.

Oh you say users are going back to Win 8.1. Is that the same Win 8.1 that the same millions of users refused to move to? Ho ho

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 25th 2016 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:32 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Garry. Sorry mate you are talking out your arse and I see right through your rubbish.
Sorry Beoz, butt as far as arse talking goes, you're the master.

1. You have weird arse hang up about lying and anything you deem against your high and mighty principles you label a liar.
It's called trust. You cannot trust liars, and that has a major effect, like it or not.

2. You are a Google fanboy and blind to all else.
Ha ha! Like hell I am. Just get onto the subject of UI design and see what I say about google. The point is, I look at what they are doing (not your fanboi based approach) and google is much more future focused than either apple or MS. That's likely to mean better positioning going forward.

3. Your focus is history. Microsoft did take its eye off the ball last decade. That is no secret. That Balmer history has ended. Have you actually looked at the numbers?
See, you get it so wrong. My focus is the opposite of history. The only point of looking at what has happened is to see the tendencies that are likely to play out in future. History doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme. Thing is, although he could be a nasty piece of work, I have a lot of time for Gates influence and guiding hand on MS. You may eulogise over Jobs role in apple, but the most dramatic and visionary 90 degree turn in IT history is down to Gates and his shift from proprietary networking to Internet. He could make a massive scale call that bet the company, and won. Nobody remains in either MS or apple that's really up to that level.

As for numbers, have YOU looked at them?

Mate. People don't care like you think they do. People don't see Windows 8 as a misbehaving execise.
Well, it's 10 that's had the distrust, 8 just had the dislike. And there is a quite large amount of distrust at MS, for the reason that if you pay attention you shouldn't trust them. Your problem is, if you think people are fine and dandy with the level of MS spying in Win10, why aren't they installing a FREE upgrade?

Windows 10 spying: Disabling tracking is impossible | BGR

Do you really think the Windows OS is the bulk of Microsoft's revenue?
Windows, and windows related licensing, particularly to business, obviously are.

Jeez man ......... just take a good hard honest look .............. don't lie to yourself in the process
Ditto Mr Mickeysoft.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BEOz
*Its either No Updates or Updates.*

You evidently don't understand the issue. Of course one must have updates, for security reasons if nothing else (and, let's face it, all Microsoft OSs have been so full of security holes that updating is almost a fulltime occupation.) If I had a fast broadband I wouldn't be that concerned, but like millions I don't, and choosing when to download updates is very important.

*http://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...g-7-10-a.html*

Looks like a different issue. Mine - and many others' - is the complete disappearance of the programs and the crashing of the computer if you attempt to look at their folders' contents.

*just get used to Win 10 and get all the added advantages.*
*If retro is your thing happy days I guess you'll never know what you are missing.*

Don't get all snotty with me, son (g). I'm not into "retro". But I have been using W10 on my new laptop since Christmas, plus used it for a total of probably 3 months on my now-W7 again desktop and I can't frankly SEE any real advantages. Yes, like so many "improvements" there are changes and additions, but to me - and to a large number of others - these are unwanted and often NOT improvements.

Which of course brings us back to "Change - good or bad".
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I like W10 but it's trying my patience. It crashed on my Surface Pro 3 and the restore download from MS didn't work. Had to roll in back to W8 and then reinstall W10. I upgraded my main modelling workstation to W10 but one of the main CAD programs that I used is not compatible (not MS's fault - get your shit together Bentley) so I rolled it back to W7 and I guess what? It does everything that I need. It's stable, everything runs on it, it still has Media Center. I'm going to keep W7 on this machine until MS stop supporting it. On the Surface W10 works well and is kind of optimised for tablets but W8.1 does too. Upgrading is a personal choice as there is little to choose between them for most tasks IMO

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 26th 2016 at 4:39 am.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 4:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Missus had a free upgrade from W7 to W8 and is now wondering whether to upgrade to W10.

I have a full version of W7 on an SSD I ripped out of my old laptop so want to put that on there instead. I hate W8 but don't mind W7.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.