Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Challenging a traffic offence penalty

Challenging a traffic offence penalty

Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:08 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenging a traffic offence penalty

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As Australia has more cars per population than the UK, then it is obvious that Australia will have a higher incidence per population than the UK for example.

That is one reason why the rate per 10,000 vehicles is commonly used.

Looking at that, it appears that using the "reported fatalities per 10,000 motor vehicles" is NOT actually twisting statistics, but is the norm, for country safety record comparisons.
your list is in order of lowest to highest though
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
your list is in order of lowest to highest though
Yes.

Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:16 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
the other problem I have with that method of comparison is that I cannot see how it can account for deaths of pedestrians, hence why I would have thought the per capita option would be the most accurate
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

the other problem I have with that method of comparison is that I cannot see how it can account for deaths of pedestrians, hence why I would have thought the per capita option would be the most accurate
To many optional stats, so I just go with the ones normally used.

Anyway, once you remove the NT, most States are pretty similar to other countries.

Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Traffic offences are strict liability. Pay up and get over it.
I have seen people successfully challenge traffic offences in court. I've seen others have their vehicle registered in a company name and cannot identify the driver, preventing demerit points. Therefore you may choose to 'pay up and get over it' but others may choose to consider their options.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:30 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

It is interesting, when removing the Northern Territory from the list, how the figures change. eg:

0.77 Victoria, Australia

On the original topic, it is possible to challenge a ticket. Done it and been successful. But not done a red light ticket.
Yes but that's per 10,000 registered vehicles. Many of the vehicles involved in accidents in the NT are unregistered.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Traffic offences are strict liability. Pay up and get over it.
Of course you can contest traffic offences.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:33 am
Account Closed

true but again that is twisting stats. You have to do it by population rather than vehicle as by doing it per vehicle you would need to understand the average number of passengers per vehicle
Yes, good point.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:28 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deancm
Of course you can contest traffic offences.
I did not say you could not. But nevertheless most traffic offences are strict liability.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:43 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I have seen people successfully challenge traffic offences in court. I've seen others have their vehicle registered in a company name and cannot identify the driver, preventing demerit points. Therefore you may choose to 'pay up and get over it' but others may choose to consider their options.
Yes - I accept that. But with respect I think you will find it very difficult to prove that you were not to blame. Perhaps I should have worded my initial response slightly better.