Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you can.

Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you can.

Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you ca

Originally Posted by eddie007
I cam PM you photographic proof of my female status if you like?

Not sypure whether that might get me banned tho?
We can't read pms so we wouldn't know
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:33 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you ca

I cam PM you photographic proof of my female status if you like?

Not sypure whether that might get me banned tho?
what i want is a photographic evidence you're male!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:35 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We can't read pms so we wouldn't know
it's in your garden though!

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 17th 2012 at 5:56 pm. Reason: Removed image.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Im not really sure why you would want to avoid the UK, it seems kind of weird.
Because most of us have been there, done that and got the T shirt. When you have restricted holidays then there are better ways of spending it than going back to the UK and visiting relatives and friends, particularly when many make little effort to visit you here.

We did this before. Based ourselves,for a week in Provence (not too far from Marseille airport) and hired a house. Friends etc came down to visit and they got a holiday too. We then continued travelling for a further few weeks and then Hubble, with hs mate came back to Aus and us girls went to my family town for 2 nights and then a week in London shopping. Those that wanted to see me came to London otherwise I didn't bother with them.

Doing the same this year but this time going to Italy for 3/4 weeks and a quick pop into uk to see my hubbies elderly parents who can't travel anymore. 3 days in a retirement village is enough!!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Because most of us have been there, done that and got the T shirt. When you have restricted holidays then there are better ways of spending it than going back to the UK and visiting relatives and friends, particularly when many make little effort to visit you here.
Exactly. My OH would happily spend 3 weeks in the UK as a tourist but would be far less enthusiastic about spending 3 weeks largely based out of my dad's place with side trips here and there. And they all get on really well...it's just you want to be on holiday rather than chain drinking Yorkshire Tea in front of the box...although I don't mind the latter!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe

We did this before. Based ourselves,for a week in Provence (not too far from Marseille airport) and hired a house. Friends etc came down to visit and they got a holiday too. We then continued travelling for a further few weeks and then Hubble, with hs mate came back to Aus and us girls went to my family town for 2 nights and then a week in London shopping. Those that wanted to see me came to London otherwise I didn't bother with them.

Doing the same this year but this time going to Italy for 3/4 weeks and a quick pop into uk to see my hubbies elderly parents who can't travel anymore. 3 days in a retirement village is enough!!
Bingo.... Really happy to read your example Hebe. My Wife really wants to base in Italy, personally I'm not so keen, with the Irish and French bases far more appealing to me.

I guess cost would be a factor... Would Italy be a lot more expensive as a base than France or Ireland ?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Exactly. My OH would happily spend 3 weeks in the UK as a tourist but would be far less enthusiastic about spending 3 weeks largely based out of my dad's place with side trips here and there. And they all get on really well...it's just you want to be on holiday rather than chain drinking Yorkshire Tea in front of the box...although I don't mind the latter!
Well put.

I love BE stories of Father's in Law, Mother's in Law...and the way people deal with their clan...

I can see the attraction of basing yourself some way apart from a family unit ...it saves on all the domestic ins and outs...the endless discussions of TV and supermarkets..etc...
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:23 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a great idea. We're vaguely planning on going home next year which will involve London, Scotland and ireland to get in all the family and friends. But I've already said I'm not spending a week at his parents or my parents drinking tea and watching telly. We either have stuff planned before we go (to go and stay close to family but not WITH family) or we all go away together to somewhere where there's actually stuff to do.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
what i want is a photographic evidence you're male!
I have an MRI scan of my brain that shows I'm more in touch with my masculine side... Would that help?

I can light farts, belch and swear

I drink pints... When I can find summit half decent here inthe land that beer forgot

And I can set points on a car, change my own tyres, do an oil change, brake pads... Pretty much most maintenance

i am incapeable of washing up, vacuuming or any other domestic indoor activity

I can read a map, wont ask for directions and the only donuts I can make are the kind you cant eat on tarmac.....

Does that make me a man?

Or just a normal for rocko bogan chick????
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I have an MRI scan of my brain that shows I'm more in touch with my masculine side... Would that help?

I can light farts, belch and swear

I drink pints... When I can find summit half decent here inthe land that beer forgot

And I can set points on a car, change my own tyres, do an oil change, brake pads... Pretty much most maintenance

i am incapeable of washing up, vacuuming or any other domestic indoor activity

I can read a map, wont ask for directions and the only donuts I can make are the kind you cant eat on tarmac.....

Does that make me a man?

Or just a normal for rocko bogan chick????

Actually I reckon it's a nurse thing. There seem to be quite a few with the same attributes.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 17th 2012 at 5:59 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:21 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They seemed to enoy the rugby team at Uni.
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Actually I reckon it's a nurse thing. There seem to be quite a few with the same attributes.