Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you can.

Wikiposts

Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you can.

Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you can.

My Aussie Wife has set this challenge to me, and I'll admit I'm quite open to it. She'll only stay in the UK as a family duty or to support me and really doesnt care if she never visits it again. The is compounded by the fact that when we lived there together we only visited Europe for probably a maximum of 1 week in her 2 years of living in the Northern Hempisphere.

So I just wondered if anyone else on these boards had managed to visit the folks back in blighty and do it from a base in a neighbouring Country. France being the most obvious one to me... but not necessarily the only choice.

We "Have" to go in 2013 just on the basis that my folks are getting quite elderly now, even though they are in great health for their age 88 and 86. Last time I went it was on my own and I found it very lonely and hated the tedious and gruelling travelling on the Motorways between Prestatyn and Crawley and points inbetween. So I've ruled out going on my own again.

So my idea is to base myself in Lille in France, Visit some neighbouring Countries to Appease the Wifes European wants, plus I want to see if I can actually manage to "Miss" staying in the UK or not in a last ditch attempt to salvage my old retirement dreams, which in the current climate would be a huge financial benefit to boot..

So I reiterate has anyone else managed to visit the folks based in a neighbouring Country and are there better options than Lille and it's fantastic Eurostar Link.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2012 at 10:25 am.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you ca

Didn't you ask this last year?! Or someone has.........

Sorry I have no other info for you. Helpful hey?!!!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenge: Visiting the Folks whilst avoiding staying in the UK as much as you ca

Originally Posted by itigo
Didn't you ask this last year?! Or someone has.........

Sorry I have no other info for you. Helpful hey?!!!
I asked about Lille last year for sure.... I didnt ask if anyone else had done the same and from a different Country though. So I'm open to other ideas...... they could well be better than mine.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not really sure why you would want to avoid the UK, it seems kind of weird.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Im not really sure why you would want to avoid the UK, it seems kind of weird.
Quite simply I didnt have a good time at all on my First and Last visits... With the middle visit being fantastic. So feel like a basing a visit to the folks in the NHemp from a different perspective. I actually want to see if I can personally miss the UK by being so close to it..... It will be a definite plus for my wife.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im just messing with you My wife would be the same in reverse so i do understand.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite simply I didnt have a good time at all on my First and Last visits... With the middle visit being fantastic. So feel like a basing a visit to the folks in the NHemp from a different perspective. I actually want to see if I can personally miss the UK by being so close to it..... It will be a definite plus for my wife.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

How about Eire? You can catch the ferry from Dublin to Hollyhead and be in sunny Prestatyn in no time.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:11 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Guernsey or Jersey
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How about Eire? You can catch the ferry from Dublin to Hollyhead and be in sunny Prestatyn in no time.
Thats a good un.... Hadn't thought of that. Everyone that I know that visits Ireland loves the place.

Gurnsey and Jersey as well could be interesting... how much are the flights from there ?
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Thats a good un.... Hadn't thought of that. Everyone that I know that visits Ireland loves the place.

Gurnsey and Jersey as well could be interesting... how much are the flights from there ?
I'd be heading for Galway, spectacular
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:32 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

France, Spain or Italy would be my choice. Book your main flight to one of those to avoid some airline tax. excuse made. Have fun.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'd be heading for Galway, spectacular
Yehp going to really explore that idea... It'll make the first part of the trip far less busy on the roads from Holyhead to Prestatyn etc with car hire etc.

Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

That's probably the tricky bit for being based in the Channel Islands. They never used to be cheap flights.. might have changed now I suppose.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IvanM
France, Spain or Italy would be my choice. Book your main flight to one of those to avoid some airline tax. excuse made. Have fun.
Like the excuse
Old Mar 16th 2012, 1:07 pm
Banned

I would certainly consider Jersey for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.