Cars, new or used?

Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cars, new or used?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Second hand, 2006 model Yaris, same model and options with 45,000kms: $15,990
Expect to pay about $12k, based on my previous experience.

Your New one is an Automatic, the used one is Manual, normally about $1,500 difference in price.

The Red Book prices are:

2006 Toyota Yaris YR NCP90R Automatic
* Private Price Guide $11,000 - $12,700
* Trade In Price Guide $8,700 - $10,400
* Average Km 60,000 - 100,000
New Price $16,490

2006 Toyota Yaris YR NCP90R Manual
* Private Price Guide $9,800 - $11,500
* Trade In Price Guide $7,600 - $9,300
* Average Km 60,000 - 100,000
New Price $14,990

Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Cars, new or used?

Originally Posted by freebo
Australian cars seem to be USA quality at (more than) European prices
When you say "Australian cars", what exactly are you referring to? I mean, given that most cars in Australia are actually Japanese and Korean.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That might make a difference.

I was looking at a new Suzuki Alto GL Manual the other day: $11,990 drive away, with all stamp duty and rego costs paid, and 6 year warranty.

How much is one of those where you are ?

In general though, secondhand cars do hold their value well here.

A curse on a used car buyer, but a blessing for the seller
Suzuki Alto doesn't exist here..would need a different model to figure out cost . An example though is a 5-7 year old Porsche Boxster was $60,000 in Aus. Find one here for 17-25k. Get a nicer 911 for around 40-55k (5-7 years old), here anyway. The Lotus Elise, which is my dream car basically, can be had for about $30,000 with 15-30k miles. 2004-6 model. Don't care to know how much it is in Australia
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brav
Suzuki Alto doesn't exist here..would need a different model to figure out cost . An example though is a 5-7 year old Porsche Boxster was $60,000 in Aus. Find one here for 17-25k. Get a nicer 911 for around 40-55k (5-7 years old), here anyway. The Lotus Elise, which is my dream car basically, can be had for about $30,000 with 15-30k miles. 2004-6 model. Don't care to know how much it is in Australia
Most European cars tend to be expensive in Australia.

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
When you say "Australian cars", what exactly are you referring to? I mean, given that most cars in Australia are actually Japanese and Korean.
I was meaning cars made for the Australian (or American for that matter) seem to be poorly equiped next to their european counterparts, even the Japanese ones, at least when I used to live there (going back to the 90's). Car companies adjust their spec and trim levels for different markets. Hope I haven't inadvertantly made a "whinging pom" comment!

Last edited by freebo; Jan 26th 2010 at 10:41 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: Cars, new or used?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My original post in 2006
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3268226

The $11,000, I recall now, was after the trade of in of the old car that we pushed into their yard

My God, I have had it for almost 5 years !!

Current price guide, 5 years later:
Private Price Guide $5,800 - $7,400
Trade In Price Guide $3,500 - $5,100
Average Km 140,000 - 230,000
Probably at the higher price end due to low kms. (116,000)
saw a price of 3500 au$ for 1991 for toyota celica
and same car is selling for 2500 au$ also.. with same condition and specs.

just wondering can i bargain on these deals.. or not ?

regards

naufil