British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Cars, new or used? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cars-new-used-651161/)

freebo Jan 25th 2010 2:40 pm

Cars, new or used?

From what I’ve read here and also from research I’ve done on the interweb it seems 2nd hand cars are much more expensive in Australia than the UK.

I was planning to buy 2nd hand when I get over there but I’m now wondering if new is a better option, with the high cost of used cars surely that means that depreciation is lower there and new makes more sense than the UK :confused:

Brav Jan 25th 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Cars, new or used?

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8280332)
From what I’ve read here and also from research I’ve done on the interweb it seems 2nd hand cars are much more expensive in Australia than the UK.

I was planning to buy 2nd hand when I get over there but I’m now wondering if new is a better option, with the high cost of used cars surely that means that depreciation is lower there and new makes more sense than the UK :confused:

Mmm from the cars I've seen (all online mind you) new cars are stupid expensive as well.

freebo Jan 25th 2010 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brav (Post 8280342)
Mmm from the cars I've seen (all online mind you) new cars are stupid expensive as well.

I know, but to be honest its not so much the cost of UK vs Australia more the way they hold their value that I'm asking about.

Brav Jan 25th 2010 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8280350)
I know, but to be honest its not so much the cost of UK vs Australia more the way they hold their value that I'm asking about.

I suppose it depends how long you intend on keeping it and how much you ever want to spend on maintenance for it. I've personally never been a fan of new cars and with the Aussie prices, probably never will be :p.

Mind you, I'm from the United States not Britain, so maybe my concept of what is cheap/expensive is a bit different. Even when the US dollar was strong vs the AUD, the cars were still expensive. Now they just seem ghastly to me :blink:

In any case, can check out this site http://www.redbook.com.au/ ..may be more helpful than me :D

In my personal view, seeing as the new cars are 50%-100% more expensive than here, the fact the used ones are 50%-100% more expensive as well, would to me indicate they depreciate at roughly the same pace.

livinginreality Jan 25th 2010 3:08 pm

Go on Ebay Australia,that'll give you a good idea on what you could buy (used)for your money.

freebo Jan 25th 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Brav (Post 8280375)
I suppose it depends how long you intend on keeping it and how much you ever want to spend on maintenance for it. I've personally never been a fan of new cars and with the Aussie prices, probably never will be :p.

Mind you, I'm from the United States not Britain, so maybe my concept of what is cheap/expensive is a bit different. Even when the US dollar was strong vs the AUD, the cars were still expensive. Now they just seem ghastly to me :blink:

:rofl: I can imagine - I've visited the US many times and have been shocked as to how cheap the cars are, however I've also found the quality to be fairly low too compared to european cars. Australian cars seem to be USA quality at (more than) European prices :ohmy:

Brav Jan 25th 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8280415)
:rofl: I can imagine - I've visited the US many times and have been shocked as to how cheap the cars are, however I've also found the quality to be fairly low too compared to european cars. Australian cars seem to be USA quality at (more than) European prices :ohmy:

Lol. Never actually been to Europe, but may be in Belgium next month. I've noticed on used cars on Gumtree.com...seem way cheap. 6 year old Peugeot maybe 2-3 thousand quid. Is that pretty standard? Seem like the cars don't hold value there or something.

Alfresco Jan 25th 2010 3:53 pm

I'm shipping a car (suv) and a motorbike over. :thumbup:

No way I'm gonna let someone here relieve me of them for nothing and then I have to fork out more than 2 x $$$$$ for the same thing there. :thumbdown:

freebo Jan 25th 2010 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8280537)
I'm shipping a car (suv) and a motorbike over. :thumbup:

No way I'm gonna let someone here relieve me of them for nothing and then I have to fork out more than 2 x $$$$$ for the same thing there. :thumbdown:

Al, can you point me to the process/cost of this? As it stands I'll be selling a BMW and Land Rover and the proceeds will buy similarly aged (small) Toyota's :frown:

Alfresco Jan 25th 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 8280551)
Al, can you point me to the process/cost of this? As it stands I'll be selling a BMW and Land Rover and the proceeds will buy similarly aged (small) Toyota's :frown:

Also with the £ having lost 30% in value, selling here and buying there makes even less sense.

Read this thread or even bump it as I'm sure it makes better sense to ship cars now.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=600334&page=6

Good luck.

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2010 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Brav (Post 8280375)
Mind you, I'm from the United States not Britain, so maybe my concept of what is cheap/expensive is a bit different.

That might make a difference.

I was looking at a new Suzuki Alto GL Manual the other day: $11,990 drive away, with all stamp duty and rego costs paid, and 6 year warranty.

How much is one of those where you are ?

In general though, secondhand cars do hold their value well here.

A curse on a used car buyer, but a blessing for the seller :thumbup:

Broad Shoulders Jan 26th 2010 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8282234)
That might make a difference.

I was looking at a new Suzuki Alto GL Manual the other day: $11,990 drive away, with all stamp duty and rego costs paid, and 6 year warranty.

How much is one of those where you are ?

In general though, secondhand cars do hold their value well here.

A curse on a used car buyer, but a blessing for the seller :thumbup:

Second hand car dealers are absolute rip off merchants over here. If you check prices from dealers on carsales.com.au you will see that a low kms modern car will actually be the same price, if not more expensive than if you buy a brand new one! Complete joke they are!

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8282239)
Second hand car dealers are absolute rip off merchants over here. If you check prices from dealers on carsales.com.au you will see that a low kms modern car will actually be the same price, if not more expensive than if you buy a brand new one! Complete joke they are!

They are also prepared to come well down on the advertised prices :thumbup:

My last used car was about $15k in the window, but I got it for about $11k, from memory. I should look up the exact figures, they are on here somewhere :D

Broad Shoulders Jan 26th 2010 2:29 am

New Toyota Yaris: $15,990, no more to pay
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...=324&silo=1011

Second hand, 2006 model Yaris, same model and options with 45,000kms: $15,990:confused::confused::confused:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=125179DD4168

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2010 2:39 am

My original post in 2006
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3268226

My recent purchase of a Feb 2001 car for $12,400 (in July 2005) compared to it's new price of $41,880. That's 70% depreciation in 4yrs 5months.
It took 2 hours of negotiating to get it down from the windscreen price of $15,900
When buying used cars, and new, always negotiate hard.
The $11,000, I recall now, was after the trade of in of the old car that we pushed into their yard :D

My God, I have had it for almost 5 years !!

Current price guide, 5 years later:
Private Price Guide $5,800 - $7,400
Trade In Price Guide $3,500 - $5,100
Average Km 140,000 - 230,000
Probably at the higher price end due to low kms. (116,000)