Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can a NSW learner driver drive in QLD?

Can a NSW learner driver drive in QLD?

Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can a NSW learner driver drive in QLD?

I've done a quick search, but can't find an answer to this. We are on holiday in QLD with our son who currently holds a NSW learners license. Is he able to drive in QLD? We thought there were no restrictions, but some Australian friends who are with us are not letting their own L-plate daughter drive as they thought interstate driving was not allowed.

I've checked the RTA website, but can't find any information- does this mean its not a problem? QLD transport website is much clearer- QLD L-platers CAN drive interstate.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, or else I could have a very miserable teenager on my hands who only came on a family holiday to build up his learner hours!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:20 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can a NSW learner driver drive in QLD?

All state licences are valid in each State for visitors. They only need to change to a local State licence if they become resident.

For 100% clarity, and peace of mind, ring your local Police station.

Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

I have nothing written to refer to but, as a kid growing up in NSW, close to the QLD border in the 70's, there was never any problem driving in Qld...I know, I know..it was a long time ago. I would not have any hesitation doing the same thing now with a son or daughter.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
All state licences are valid in each State for visitors. They only need to change to a local State licence if they become resident.

For 100% clarity, and peace of mind, ring your local Police station.
Police will probably redirect you to Dept of Transport and Main Roads.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Police will probably redirect you to Dept of Transport and Main Roads.
Actually they would only refer to QLD road rules anyway, which means that an interstate learner can drive in QLD, based on this:
Originally Posted by yanH
QLD transport website is much clearer- QLD L-platers CAN drive interstate.