Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Came for six weeks, ended up staying 27 years....

Came for six weeks, ended up staying 27 years....

Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Came for six weeks, ended up staying 27 years....

Yes I Ozzie(Lefty)eagle, Didn't expect this to arise after my little row with my Girlfreind back in 77. I thought I'll fix her, and booked a last minute trip with my Aunty and Uncle, to see their son (my cousin). So imagine my suprise when i get here, and find that my Cousins gaffe, just 8 minutes from Tullamarine airport (at Westmeadows, out in the then bush, for those that know Melbourne). Straight out of South London and into more space, than I'd ever seen. Arriving to a house that wasn't attached to anything.

First night here, all my cousins freinds, mostly expats came over for a barbie, and blokes from 'op 'north are calling me a pommy bastard. Which from my Sarf london upbringing I took as a bit of banter and join with wholeheartedly. In actual fact I kind of win erm over and we all end up having a go at the solitary taff. All the time I'm wondering what they are going to do with all the meat that they have cooked and only consumed about 1/2 of. To my amazement they throw it to the dog. Even I, on my City of london salary, could not have contemplated such extravagance back then. These guys must be loaded I think to myself. As the Bloke with the Yorkshire accent, throngs (flip flops then) tshorts and singlet unloads his guts in the corner of the garden. Excuse my boss or something similar my Cousin says, turns out it's one of the head Honcho's from "the age" newspaper. Someone that back in England, particualry back in 70's social strata ridden England, would probably have dismissed me, but here in aussie, is just one of the boys.

Therein you get an idea of the Culture shock that a first night in Australia can give you, some people like dear old toryglen cannot cope.... me I loved it, From that first night I knew i was going to live here.... by Hook or by crook.

Life really is what you make it Eh
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Came for six weeks, ended up staying 27 years....

And very glad Australia is to have you
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
And very glad Australia is to have you
Thanks Cas...... I'm fishing for Tory's
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thanks Cas...... I'm fishing for Tory's
think he's gone up-stream
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I Ozzie(Lefty)eagle, Didn't expect this to arise after my little row with my Girlfreind back in 77. I thought I'll fix her, and booked a last minute trip with my Aunty and Uncle, to see their son (my cousin). So imagine my suprise when i get here, and find that my Cousins gaffe, just 8 minutes from Tullamarine airport (at Westmeadows, out in the then bush, for those that know Melbourne). Straight out of South London and into more space, than I'd ever seen. Arriving to a house that wasn't attached to anything.

First night here, all my cousins freinds, mostly expats came over for a barbie, and blokes from 'op 'north are calling me a pommy bastard. Which from my Sarf london upbringing I took as a bit of banter and join with wholeheartedly. In actual fact I kind of win erm over and we all end up having a go at the solitary taff. All the time I'm wondering what they are going to do with all the meat that they have cooked and only consumed about 1/2 of. To my amazement they throw it to the dog. Even I, on my City of london salary, could not have contemplated such extravagance back then. These guys must be loaded I think to myself. As the Bloke with the Yorkshire accent, throngs (flip flops then) tshorts and singlet unloads his guts in the corner of the garden. Excuse my boss or something similar my Cousin says, turns out it's one of the head Honcho's from "the age" newspaper. Someone that back in England, particualry back in 70's social strata ridden England, would probably have dismissed me, but here in aussie, is just one of the boys.

Therein you get an idea of the Culture shock that a first night in Australia can give you, some people like dear old toryglen cannot cope.... me I loved it, From that first night I knew i was going to live here.... by Hook or by crook.

FANTASTIC post m8

TWENTY SEVEN YEARS!!

You are an inspiration Ozzie. You show us newbies it can be done.

As you say, life is less "stuffy" and less "show-offy" here......and I too find this refreshing.

Yep, like you say, you either love it or hate it....

Great post
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask...............do you know what happened to the girlfriend from "77??

Congratulations on your achievement of 28 years
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
FANTASTIC post m8

TWENTY SEVEN YEARS!!

You are an inspiration Ozzie. You show us newbies it can be done.

As you say, life is less "stuffy" and less "show-offy" here......and I too find this refreshing.

Yep, like you say, you either love it or hate it....

Great post
Yes one quick whirlwind romance, with a local nurse ,..... one trip back to the UK to settle things, one brief ban from Aussie,:scared:......... one flying trip from my Aussie GF to the UK to rescue and retrieve me and get married....and 27 years, 4 kids, one house, one holiday home, and heaps of experiences later. Here I sit.

Quite happy on my Sacred hill, old tawny port

Thanks Phoenix
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Can I ask...............do you know what happened to the girlfriend from "77??

Congratulations on your achievement of 28 years
Actually thats is a very good question.... The Aussie Girl I met (now my wife) sent me back covered from head to toe in lovebites. They were a bit difficult to hide.

Either that, or she didnt like the Kangaroo skin handbag I bought her. LOL

Got to admit, I have wondered what she is doing.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:33 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Actually thats is a very good question.... The Aussie Girl I met (now my wife) sent me back covered from head to toe in lovebites. They were a bit difficult to hide.

Either that, or she didnt like the Kangaroo skin handbag I bought her. LOL

Got to admit, I have wondered what she is doing.

Great post, that first experience would have made me happy n all, would have been a bit wary about the love bits though
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Careful, some will start calling you a 'defender of the faith!!'.....

But, just so we balance this post.....How did you know you loved ALL of Australia in just one night?? Thats just stupid...... Imagine making such a big decision after only seeing one small part of Oz...sheesh!!

Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic post ozzie - and you summed it up perfectly.....

Life really is what you make it..........

some folks wouldn't be happy wherever they lived.

Good on ya m8 - us newbies LOVE reading posts like these.

L-J
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

27 years at least nobody could accuse you of being in the honeymoon period

Well done.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
27 years at least nobody could accuse you of being in the honeymoon period

Well done.
Good stuff Mr Eagle. It's the stories that make a life I reckon. Doesn't matter where you end up, its the memories that count.

It's the mix I love too.