Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Bigpond, Hello Internode

Bye Bye Bigpond, Hello Internode

Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bye Bye Bigpond, Hello Internode

After 6 years Telstra have finally peed me off ... I currently have no internet at home and they are no use so I am flouncing ... As is my way.

No internet?

This 'Fast Churn' process better be fast ...
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye Bye Bigpond, Hello Internode

Originally Posted by DeadVim
After 6 years Telstra have finally peed me off ... I currently have no internet at home and they are no use so I am flouncing ... As is my way.

No internet?

This 'Fast Churn' process better be fast ...
Tis a good move.... Internode are reputed to be even better than IInet.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Internode have been owned by iinet for about 6 months now, although they still are operating much as before. I've been happy with Internode for a few years now!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Internode have been owned by iinet for about 6 months now, although they still are operating much as before. I've been happy with Internode for a few years now!
Really....... any idea whats happened to the free giganews account that was exclusively Internodes domain ?
Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Had no bigpond net all afternoon. Mine is a bigpond ultimate device it's the ultimate in shitty connections. Works on the 3g network, same as my phone that is currently tethered to the laptop & performing perfectly.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm counting the hours ... Currently typing at a $2 for 21 minute terminal in a shopping centre

Originally Posted by cresta57
Had no bigpond net all afternoon. Mine is a bigpond ultimate device it's the ultimate in shitty connections. Works on the 3g network, same as my phone that is currently tethered to the laptop & performing perfectly.
My ADSL is fine but it refuses to connect using details I have checked and double-checked .... Because I don't have a BigPond modem they refuse to go any further. Despite me trying 3 different routers with the same result ... arrgggh!

Gotta go, time is literally money
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm counting the hours ... Currently typing at a $2 for 21 minute terminal in a shopping centre

My ADSL is fine but it refuses to connect using details I have checked and double-checked .... Because I don't have a BigPond modem they refuse to go any further. Despite me trying 3 different routers with the same result ... arrgggh!

Gotta go, time is literally money
Casn you get ADSL Synch ? The connection light ?

If you can head for Whirlpool and see if anyone there has connected a bigpond modem to IInet/Internode.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:35 am
Mostly Harmless

Casn you get ADSL Synch ? The connection light ?

If you can head for Whirlpool and see if anyone there has connected a bigpond modem to IInet/Internode.
Yup, ADSL is up, it all checks out apart from connecting. And this is with no change in the settings. I tried a Belkin, Netgear and now a D-Link modem (the same model as the one that was working and definitely died) assuming it was a modem problem.

I even tried the trick with the Belkin of using the old MAC address (some ISPs have trouble with a change in hardware) with no joy.

I have found an old PCI dial-up modem card and, miraculously, the drivers so I've resurrected a desktop and I'm running on real dial-up helpfully provided as a backup by Internode.

Slow net infinitely better than no net ...
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:18 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Internode is known as the geek's choice of ISP. Few other ISPs publish their network maps and boast low latency. As pointed out earlier, Node are now owned by IINET.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:21 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Modem should work as long you have the right creds, Telstra have handled the transfer correctly (ha ha ha) and that Telstra have not screwed your copper pair in the process.

You also have access to IINet's freezone including the ABC and Man City TV.
Yup, ADSL is up, it all checks out apart from connecting. And this is with no change in the settings. I tried a Belkin, Netgear and now a D-Link modem (the same model as the one that was working and definitely died) assuming it was a modem problem.

I even tried the trick with the Belkin of using the old MAC address (some ISPs have trouble with a change in hardware) with no joy.

I have found an old PCI dial-up modem card and, miraculously, the drivers so I've resurrected a desktop and I'm running on real dial-up helpfully provided as a backup by Internode.

Slow net infinitely better than no net ...
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IInet should support belkin modems have you given their help desk a ring ?

If your getting sync, it should be just a case of the proper addresses in the right spot, says I in possible naiviety ?

Asks very humbly have you turned off your Virus scanner and firewall ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 12th 2012 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here you go.... nicked from Whirlpool. Simples

Good luck

I was going to type underneath it, but thought better and will say up here...... Hope it's the right model modem LOL !

Let me report success!!
Please before using this method read and re-read the instructions.. most issues are people are not reading the full instructions and paying attention to every part. There is some issue as well with root access so please note that.
Use a TG782T with any ISP plus voip.. Instructions only for voip ports model.. board number DANT-D.. if you have a new DANT-W no voip ports you will still need to jtag it (I did try to jtag and modify the firmware on W board and still couldn't get it to work on none Telstra ISP.. didn't waste a lot of time trying to be truthful but just don't buy them.)
Alex Kemp has made available on his website some firmware for the TG782T, 8.6.P.1 in both an ISP and a Retail version. It is xxx.rbi which is supposed to be installed via ACS server.. and I seem to have taken that too literally.. ruining one pc OS install trying to run OpenACS and getting nowhere at all.
Anyway, in the midst of these experiments I thought I might be able to see what is happening when one of these firmware is loaded via the normal update wizard.. surprise surprise.. it not only uploaded fine, it upgraded the firmware. All my bashing away has been washed away by a simple straight normal update.
I have so far checked upgrade from 8.2.3 firmware and 8.6.F and it worked fine in both cases.
So far it looks like the retail firmware is still locked to Telstra.. but the ISP firmware is actually unlocked. So you can use it with any ISP. You will need to use sleepdeprived's script still to get voip working but it does.
Edit 1 Sept '11 There is new firmware up to 8.6.P.3 you will now find here.
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...ware/r8-6-S-1/

The AV and AW firmware seems no different to the previous one, but there is a new BA-ISP which is the latest one.. it flashes fine.. but don't do it until I test if works.
Edit 2 Sept '11 WARNING.. I have hit a snag with getting root access. This has now happened on 2 modems out of about 7 or 8. The error is mentioned here that the script loads fine but will not run.
{admin}=>script run name addroot pars ""
[mlp] Invalid/duplicate username or user database full.
I have been working hard to find out why and/or a work around and nothing has worked. I am not sure of the sequence, but let me warn people, do the root access on the original firmware. It may not fix the issue, but at least you will know it is going to happen. That will prevent using the voip. It can still work on a third party ISP. I tested with Alex's latest setup wizard and it also fails to get root or su access. I might have updated firmware before getting root.. but haven't had the problem before even post update firmware. It isn't specific to a bootloader or serial number. I have two boxes very close in serial and otherwise identical. One works and the other doesn't.
Upgrade firmware to 8.6.P.1 for any ISP
1. You need to set a static IP on your pc, eg 192.168.1.100 with no gateway or dns being required. Turn off firewalls and some Antivirus can also be troublesome. ie anything made by symantec. (note using 10.0.0.x failed to find the modem on reboot.. it is expecting the wizard to respond on 192.168.1.x subnet)
2. Download the firmware.
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...ware/r8-6-P-1/

3. Download the upgrade wizard.
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...zards/Upgrade/

4. Unpack both in a suitable directory. And run the wizard.. put in your username .. admin and leave password blank. (if this doesn't work create a new user in the tool box.. fredblogs and it will have password identical to the name.)
Once you do that it should just upgrade.
5. At the end of the upgrade the wizard again asks for the username and password but doesn't accept any valid ones.. just cancel.. you are finished.
YMMV.. warning..
one TG782T died to bring you this info. I doubt you will destroy your modem.. but expect no help from Telstra if you do. They are cheap as blazes on ebay.. just buy another one.. as I don't have several hours to jtag it for you.
I have tried two modems and it worked... sleepdeprived has also tested it on one modem with both firmware. I also killed one modem (but it has jtag and was the testbed for 8.6.P.3 off the latest TG782T without voip so it has some excuse to die).
Please post your experience but only whim me if you want to provide me a modem with 8.6.P.3 or you want to use the usb method to extract the mtd and email it to me.
see http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfc...ge-v1.1.7z.php
This requires getting telnet access to the busybox and copying the flash to usb stick. It isn't easy and seems to fail more than succeed.
Root access to enable voip
Just to make this post complete.. when you finish the loading of the firmware. Then unlock the rights to the admin user.. by first running sdp's script. You have to login via telnet as admin (password blank) and copy and paste the commands perhaps via notepad incase the lines break.
:script add name addroot command "user add name guru password guru role root descr ROOT"
:script run name addroot pars ""
:saveall
Enable root privileges for admin user
Exit the cli and log back in with user guru and password guru.
Now you can change the admin to also have root privileges.
{guru}=>user config name=admin role=root defuser =enabled
{guru}=>saveall
Now open the gui or refresh the page and Telephony will appear in the Toolbox.
Disable CWMP if your config is wiped
And what fun.. each time I connect I have telstra update my settings.. yeah for telstra. I have now got a user on the telstra network as my username and their password.
In the log it shows,
May 12 08:38:48 CONFIGURATION saved by TR69
So telnet into the cli again and disable cwmp
:cwmp config state=disabled
saveall
That should stop the continual change of user.. amazing this old box must still have the original owner registered.. anyway I am using it with my ISP.. praise the maker.. not Telstra.
voip setup
The voip is all there.. but so far has resisted registering.. sigh!!
Ok I missed filling in proxy as well as main register.. so make sure you fill in both.. and most likely they are the same. Now everything is working.
so under configure.
Telphone (sic) Identity
Telephony Identity

SIP URI: 0925xxxxxx etc.
Username: 0925xxxxxx etc.
Password: xxxx
Confirm Password: xxxx
Displayname: 0925xxxxxx etc.
Abbreviated number:
Port: all
Under expert configure
Telephony
Service Configuration

Registrar: sip00.mynetfone.com.au (put in your VSP URL)
Registrar Port: 5060
Proxy: sip00.mynetfone.com.au (put in your VSP URL) this is required
Proxy Port: 5060
Secondary Proxy: 0.0.0.0
Secondary Proxy Port: 5060
Expire Time: 3600
dhcp if unique
One other strange one.. if you use a different IP address.. the new configuration page leaves out the local gateway.. and preserves the old one. So you can reset the TG home IP and the dhcp range.. but the gateway stays as it was.. so I change to 192.168.2.x and the gateway is still 192.168.1.x. You will need to go into the cli and change the dhcp server local address. This worked better in the old firmware where you specifically set the gateway. 2 steps forward — at least 1 back.
Edit.. Also note Alex has a PC setup wizard which will give you root or superuser access but you will need to run through it once then change over user to su with password su. This is instead of using the telnet option.
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9301&sid=32260474094e8
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by IvanM
Modem should work as long you have the right creds, Telstra have handled the transfer correctly (ha ha ha) and that Telstra have not screwed your copper pair in the process.

You also have access to IINet's freezone including the ABC and Man City TV.
I'll pass on Man City (I still remember being at the game against Gillingham at Wembley many moons back) but the rest sounds good.

IInet should support belkin modems have you given their help desk a ring ?

If your getting sync, it should be just a case of the proper addresses in the right spot, says I in possible naiviety ?

Asks very humbly have you turned off your Virus scanner and firewall ?
I'm not on Internode yet, I'm sure my current modem/router (a D-Link) will work fine once the transfer happens. The D-Link worked fine with BigPond right up until the point that it didn't ... no changes in config, nothing fancy with firewalls or scanner.

The Belkin was one of 3 models I tried with BigPond thinking it was a compatibility issue, turns out I was wasting my time. In addition to over an hour on the phone with someone who refused to acknowledge the issue was server-side and just kept insisting I had the username or password wrong.

I am expecting better of Internode from reputation. At least their backup dial-up works
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ditching Bigpond internet and Telstra landline as soon as the two year contract is up. The same with Crazy Johns for the mobile telephone service but it turns out that Telstra is reputed to have the best mobile telephone coverage and quality of service. So come December it's ganna be: Goodbye Telstra! ...Hello Telstra!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Along the lines of switch it off and switch it on again...........

Is the modem attached to a splitter? If so, try 1. Taking the splitter out or 2. swapping the splitter connections.

We bought a new modem recently when Bigpond went missing. It didn't fix it. After contacting Bigpond support online we got an engineer round to the house. He spent the morning trying to fix it but then decided it must be something wrong at the exchange. He went off and fixed it. We were actually quite impressed by the service It was this engineer that mentioned the splitter option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.