Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs, best places???

Brisbane suburbs, best places???

Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:31 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs, best places???

Originally Posted by spartacus
A scale on that map would be useful . . . I'm guesstimating at 80km east -west, 100 km north-south . ..
Now i know why you dumb assed Brits got lost in Iraq
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:10 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Then it depends on your circumstances and what you are looking for......we need more information.
Indeed try and think about this:

What line of work are you in? Where *IS* the work?
What hours will you work (will you be travelling in peak periods)
What kind of commute time is acceptable to you?
Do you have kids (and need good schools)?
Do you have money (not mind PRIVATE schools @~$12-15K per year per child)?
Are you busting every spare penny to get over to Oz (need public schools)?
How big a house do you need - and how much cash do you have to spend on it?
Are you dead-set keen on being near the sea?
Do you like hills and trees and walks in the bush?
Do you want to be in a 'new house that needs no work doing to it?
Do you HATE the idea of new legoland estates and want to live in an area with established character?

Answer these kind of questions and *then* you'll get many and varied responses that might help trigger & target some of your research! Before having those kind of ideas its like saying "Whats a good car to drive?"... anyone can answer "Aston Martin DB9" - but unless you're very in a very fortunate position its unlikely to be helpful advice.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Do you have money (not mind PRIVATE schools @~$12-15K per year per child)?
The only bit of your post I would slightly disagree on is the bit above.
The most expensive school in QLD is quoted as being:
* QLD: Brisbane Girls Grammar. $14,980 for 2009

A middle range private school may be about half that.

Our own fees for the year were $5,935 ($5,815 School Fees and $120 for Books and Photos)

Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

alpinewave is an unknown quantity at this point

Will have a look around Bayside ABCDiamond, thanks for all your help
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Hey DadAgain, thanks for your reply. Will be working as an Electrician, have no kids, will probably be renting for a while, not too fussed about sea or bush, eithers fine.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alpinewave
Hey DadAgain, thanks for your reply. Will be working as an Electrician, have no kids, will probably be renting for a while, not too fussed about sea or bush, eithers fine.
Brisbane has a heap of good suburbs and some bad. There can be a huge variety in lifestyle depending on where you live. So you need to say more about what you like before we can guess which part might seem good too you.

Unless of course you just want us to narrow it down to a list of 272 good suburbs for you so you can start researching them all yourself
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:16 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alpinewave
If you're renting for a while then you might not wnat to be too far away from the middle of things - but I'd imagine that where you work is going to have a huge influence on where you end up. If you wnat an area with lots of new building going on then you might want to look at Brisbane western corridor. Springfield is a massive growth area (as is the entire Brisbane/Ipswich corridor). having said that there are some rough areas when you get close to Ipswich so until you find your feet, if thats the area you're aiming at for work you might want to live closer to Brisbane. Indooroopilly has lots of decent rented units and is great for facilities (HUGE shopping mall and cinemas restaurants etc) as well as being close to the western freeway with good connections (good if you need to drive around to get to jobs).

Having no kids, and looking to rent first gives you fantastic flexibilty - so get here - look around and SEE what feels right to you.

But others are absolutely correct - theres GAZILLIONS of good places and a few dud ones that might suitable - so unless we have more criteria to go on any recommendations are just almost random sugestions...

Last edited by DadAgain; Aug 1st 2009 at 11:19 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

UKSaffa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
sorry to jump on the bandwagon here, but I am also looking for advice on suburbs in Brisbane.
I will be working at Brisbane airport with normal office hours.
I have a young family with my eldest child going into year 2 of school in January.
We are looking for an outdoor lifestyle, so parks and cycle paths are a must.
I have also been looking at 4 bed houses for around the $400/week mark.

Any advice on Bracken ridge area?
What is the journey like from South of the river ( Wynnem/Alexandria hills ) and what are the toll charges?

We are hoping to be in Brisbane by the second week of September so the research is getting more focussed now!

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:38 am
Just Joined

My main interest is where the work is going to be, maybe somewhere inbetween Brissy city and where there's a lot of building going on, somewhere not too expensive and not too cheap, close to a smaller town. I think DadAgain pretty much nails it. Will probably look for something with 2 bedrooms, not a flat though.

Is there much building going on towards the east of Brisabne or is it mainly around the Ipswich area?