Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Buses for children only?

Brisbane Buses for children only?

Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Buses for children only?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Got me a basinet up the front and a swedish au pair to accompany me on the flight
OK, well sorted
I'll hire a push-chair to collect you at arrivals
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, well sorted
I'll hire a push-chair to collect you at arrivals
You might want to make that a shopping trolley
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to make that a shopping trolley
Pushchairs fold up easier to go in taxis Are we gonna start in the bar where we left off last time?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:45 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pushchairs fold up easier to go in taxis Are we gonna start in the bar where we left off last time?
No.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

No.
Oh that's right, herbal tea only this time isn't it........
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
My kids won't ever catch the school bus, I drive them, I'm too untrusting of everyone, including bus drivers.
No disrespect Kim, but this is half of what causes the problems. I catch the bus every day and it's an utter nightmare. Takes me up to an hour and a half to travel 6 miles. If parents allowed their kids to catch the bus (and I mean high school age, not primary) instead of clogging up the roads, the whole system would work a lot better. You only have to see what the traffic is like in holidays ... it's like a breath of fresh air.

And yes, I have two kids - 11 and 14 - one buses and one walks by herself.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:04 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rabsody
No disrespect Kim, but this is half of what causes the problems. I catch the bus every day and it's an utter nightmare. Takes me up to an hour and a half to travel 6 miles. If parents allowed their kids to catch the bus (and I mean high school age, not primary) instead of clogging up the roads, the whole system would work a lot better. You only have to see what the traffic is like in holidays ... it's like a breath of fresh air.

That's true. If more kids used buses all the time the companies would be more likely to put more buses on too. Rush-hour travel in school holidays is so much easier
I'm resigned to this new policy now. Couldn't get on a bus this afternoon at 4pm at all in Windsor unless you were in school uniform. So instead of a $3 trip to work I'm now looking at a $12-$20 trip, just to be sure I can get there. Coming home in the morning, I'm just resigned to a very long wait. OK for those who can vary their start and finish times, we aren't all so lucky.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Two words - Daniel Morcombe.........
Ernie Wise.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

How about just transporting all kids to an island and letting them all fend for themselves. End of.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
How about just transporting all kids to an island and letting them all fend for themselves. End of.
Now THAT sounds good to me
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Now THAT sounds good to me
Is that not how Tasmania was founded?!

It would explain Ponting's mental state ...
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

It is half the traffic problem. But catching the school bus just doesn't fit with a lot of people's schedules. Both my husband and I work from home so we fit our work around the school and activity runs. We run a pretty tight ship and there are band and dance commitments a few mornings a week for an hour before school starts and we are at the dance studio six days a week, some days running between the studio at Woolloongabba and the studio in Seven Hills (one day I go to Woolloongabba, back to Seven Hills, then back to Woolloongabba and then back to Seven Hills in a two hour period), so it makes it impossible for kids like mine to catch the bus.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

It is half the traffic problem. But catching the school bus just doesn't fit with a lot of people's schedules. Both my husband and I work from home so we fit our work around the school and activity runs. We run a pretty tight ship and there are band and dance commitments a few mornings a week for an hour before school starts and we are at the dance studio six days a week, some days running between the studio at Woolloongabba and the studio in Seven Hills (one day I go to Woolloongabba, back to Seven Hills, then back to Woolloongabba and then back to Seven Hills in a two hour period), so it makes it impossible for kids like mine to catch the bus.
No, I totally understand Kim. I am lucky enough to have my ex mother in law who can ferry the kids to their activities during the week (only one day a week, i'm exhausted just looking at your schedule!) and they do the rest on the weekend. There's also a massive amount of cars (the majority for sure) with only one person in them although I appreciate there are a lot of people, like tradies and reps, who need their car throughout the day.

It's just incredibly frustrating when a 6 mile journey takes an hour to an hour and a half every day. I want to move but I can't afford the $800k to buy a three bed townhouse/unit a few kms closer in.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do believe decent public transport must be the priority for a city to flow well. Then those who don't actually need to drive but don't want to take public transort (which, let's face it, I can't blame them it's pretty shitty) can free up the roads a bit.

Otherwise, the quality of life considerably deteriorates for a lot of people.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Up to recently I was a fairly regular user of the 333 bus, it was the 333 or traffic hell to the city, devil or deep blue sea really Anyone doing that journey in peak has my sympathy.

What amazed me is the intention to double the fares in the next 2 years, the sign was right next to a poster stating how one bus takes 30 cars off the road

Recent peak journeys from RCH herston to aspley take over an hour
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:42 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Up to recently I was a fairly regular user of the 333 bus, it was the 333 or traffic hell to the city, devil or deep blue sea really Anyone doing that journey in peak has my sympathy.

What amazed me is the intention to double the fares in the next 2 years, the sign was right next to a poster stating how one bus takes 30 cars off the road

Recent peak journeys from RCH herston to aspley take over an hour
Driver on the 333 at 3.30pm today: "Sorry you can't get on, school children only till 4pm"
Cross Witch: "But you are half empty and I'm only going one stop - Windsor-Lutwyche"
Driver "There might be children somewhere in between that want to flag me down and get on. You'll have to wait till 4pm."

Guess who will be spending the first part of her shift writing complaint letters to Brisbane Buses :curse: :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.